Author
TTFO
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/12 09:01:34 (permalink)

New Boater

Hi all,

I just purchased my first boat.. a 19 ft Monark king Viper (deep V).  My question is: What are "must have's" for fishing Lake Erie Perch and Walleye (along with the bay when the family is with me and the lake is rough).  I'm taking the boating saftey course and I have a list of the USCG required equipment.  What I want to know is what I need to rig this boat up for perch and walleye. Mostly the fishing equipment (the boat came with garmin GPS and Garmin Fish finder along with another fish finder in the front of the boat where the electric trolling motor is).  What type of poles, reels, line, lures and other equipment do you feel is a necessity?  I know this is a broad questions but equipping a boat for the first time is a bit overwhelming!!  Thanks in advance!

30 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/12 09:14:50 (permalink)
    Perch... no big deal...eyes... planers and riggers
    TBS
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/12 09:48:16 (permalink)
    TTFO,
    Nice choice on the new boat. That is the same one Im looking at currently. After safety equipt. is taken care of...the sky is the limit. First thing would be a GOOD anchor. Not the plastic covered 15# mushroom, but a descent Danforth style with a free sliding ring and chain. A min. of 150' scope of good rope on the first line and I always carried another two 100' sections. You won't always need them but that little piece of mind is invalueable.  Second thing to care of would GOOD rod holders. I had Tite Locs on mine. Bert's custom tackle & Big Jon make some very good ones also. Just do yourself a favor and buy one that can be used on a slider rack system. That way you can position the holders where you want them for different situations and you won't be drilling a bunch of holes all through your new boat. Just do some reasearch and shopping around to see what fits your needs. It's amazing what you can get on Ebay,Craigs list & on the Fishing Tackle & Boat Equipt. forums on this site. It's your first year ?..don't overwelm yourself at first & don't get over your head out there. Get a couple dipsy rods and drag some spoons & harrnesses and get used to being accurate with your boat control and use of your electronics. Then worry about boards & riggers all the other stuff you can spend your kids college fund on. Most of all...get out there, be careful of the ol' girl miss Erie, & have fun.

"Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." - Ed Zern
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/12 11:19:17 (permalink)
    TTFO
    New Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/12 13:44:41 (permalink)
    Thanks Porktown... that is some good stuff.  I should look at the site more... start reading left to right and down the page!!!!!

TBS good stuff there as well.  I never thought about haveing extra rope for the anchor but it sure makes sense. 

Keep it coming!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/12 17:49:32 (permalink)
    After buying a boat, I'm assuming you're looking for econmy + quality for equipment?...As far as rods/reels: are concerned, IMO, you cannot beat Okumas.  Magda Pro Line counters have been working great for me now for a few years.  Also matched up with Okuma mooching rods which have worked well for me with dipsys and on the riggers.  Line:  I use 30# braided.  Whether its Tuff line or Andes braided, braided is key to detect strikes best.  Mono or Floro leader is personal preference.  Gotta have Dipsy Divers sz. 1 & 0.  Worm harnesses and spoons for bait.  Spoons ranging from 2 1/2" to 4"...color?  WATERMELON, WATERMELON, WATERMELON....copper blades have been hot too.  Riggers:  I have a Cannon MiniMag 10 which works great and a Big Jon that is also nice.  Swivel mounts are key.  If you have a mapping unit, you won't be disappointed and it will come in handy the more you spend time on the great lakes.  I have a Lowrance Lcx 17mt...love it.  Made my own cedar planer boards last year that I used once and hope to never have to use again, unless of course I'm on St. Claire muskie fishing.

I'm not big on perch, but I'm pretty sure you could figure that out with no problems and probably have the right gear for them laying around the house....Have a good anchor and follow the pack!

If you ever have any Qs feel free to send along a pm...I'd be happy to ablige what I can...I did a lot of asking when I got my Erie boat thats for sure.  Just ask CB!  Take care and tight lines.

Cannot wait to get it back out on the water!  Good Luck!   

blessed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/12 19:33:38 (permalink)
    TTFO,
    You didn't happen to buy that boat from a boat store at 26th and Greengarden did you? If you did, what was the selling price? If you don't mind answering? That was a sweet boat!
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/13 03:17:12 (permalink)
    Good rod holders, not plastic.  I have replaced everyone I ever bought with down-easters.  Get about 6 of em to start.  Then  start stockin in the line counters combos and some dipsys and you will be about as ready as you are gonna get....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Banananastix4
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/13 07:54:21 (permalink)
    They left out the most important piece of equipment. Which is the net all of the things listed above will get the fish to the boat,but without a good net all the gear on the boat is'nt going to do land the hog of the day.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/13 09:47:59 (permalink)
    MuskyM:  I used to used Down East rod holders, but got rid of them because they tear the crap out of the cork on your rods after time.  It may not be such a problem for those who don't put much trolling time in, however when you put in as much trolling time as I have, especially for the muskies, they are not worth it.  Fish-Ons are the best IMO....15 years and never broke one or lost a rod yet.  Had to replace 3 rod handles from rods run in Down Easters.  The other key factor for me is adjustability...you cannot adjust the Down East up or down while the rod is in the holder and trolling.  Fish-Ons are mounted on a rail and I can quickly adjust the rod up when coming up on a weed bed or something.  I've also tried imitations to Fish-On and most are junk, built with brittle plastics.  Fish-On is the way to go really. JMHO.

Banana:  Yeah a good net is a good idea!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/02/13 09:49:32

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/13 10:59:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TTFO

I should look at the site more... start reading left to right and down the page!!!!!

I've been using this site for about 10 years, and just happened to run into that link a few weeks ago while searching planers...  The search function is unbeatable for just about any fishing topic that you might have.  You'll definitely get some great answers from posting a question too.  That and it makes for good reading material!
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/13 11:43:32 (permalink)
    SUF, While I admit to hating to troll for muskies (I like to throw till my arms fall off) there are certain lakes where plugging is not practical and I do my share of trolling, I just replaced my #1 rod after 14 years of service, and only ever noticed minor problems with the cork.......Admittedly I probably don't troll as much as you, but on erie most of my rods have foam handles that they don't seem to bother.   I adjust them while I am trolling though, one hand on the rod one adjusting the wingnut, just like anything else.   I lost a rod when a fish-on holder broke while trolling for skis about 4 years ago on east branch dam.  The lure hit some rocks, bang the rod was gone.  I lost a scotty and a berkley in similar manners on arthur a few years back...saved the rods on those ones though.....

captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 274
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/13 11:43:49 (permalink)
    Put your investment into the best fish finder you can. As sometimes those perch are on the bottom and a cheap fish finder will not see them. Get 2 good anchors and remember that when you anchor, the lines needs to be double the depth of the water you are in. Good bug spray will be a must also. Those flies can ruin a good day of fishing on the lake. A nice extra would be to have an automatic reel to pull those anchors up with. Sometimes you can move your boat 5 times before you hit the perch and pulling up 2 anchors is a real pain. Best of luck! Hope to see you in the summer. East End Angler Bait & Tackle 
    TTFO
    New Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/13 13:19:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the advise guys I appreciate it. 

Blessed... that is the boat I purchased. I don't want to get into what I paid but I will tell you the John at Michalak was pleasant to deal with and I feel I got a real good value.. but only time will tell!!  The boat, Engine, interrior look brand new.  Who ever owned it before took real good care it.  I hope to do the same but I may dock it in a marina so that will have some effect on it's appearence. 

COME ON SPRING!!!!!!!!!

Little35
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/13 16:49:17 (permalink)
    As far as rod holders I have the Traxtech (Pursuit Sports) with Saltys and rocket launchers.  I have not had the problem with the cork handles that was discussed above. I think it might cause wear on the rod if you are pulling plows around all the time. Ha Ha.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/13 16:52:58 (permalink)
    I also think that color is not worth it, as far as a depth finder goes.  I have a humminbird matirx on the big boat and a garmin 240 on the little one and both are black and white.  I will upgrade to color sometime, but it is definitly not a nessecity..And no substitute for getting out there taking the thing off of auto and learning to use it.

TBS
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/13 19:40:13 (permalink)
    In addition to the extra ropes, I carried and extra anchor too. And one more back saving device, get an anchor retrieval bouy. I was forced into buying one after my back injury, what a saving grace that was.

"Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." - Ed Zern
    lfosburg
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/14 14:08:42 (permalink)
    go to dicks and get four of the daiwa planer bord rods with daiwa accudepth counter reels on them.  sixty a piece maybe fifty but two hundred bucks is a small price to pay if you troll for walleye and big water.
    lfosburg
    Novice Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/14 14:09:31 (permalink)
    reef runners and hot and tots too especially off the point and west by walnut
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/14 14:10:17 (permalink)
    ^^^What he said....Poor richards usually has a good deal on a line counter combo hangin above the counter as well.....

lfosburg
    Novice Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/14 15:27:17 (permalink)
    Ya good call, poor richards always has the okumas for like 50 and they r not bad either.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/14 16:53:49 (permalink)
    Fishlander Rod Holders are second to none on the Great Lakes.  To the best of my knowledge i may be the only dealer for their rod holders and downriggers here in northwestern PA.  They make good stuff...so let me know if your interested.

If your only going to be fishing with just a few guys out of your boat get yourself some inline boards or a planer mast if you really think its necessary.  Get some 8'6'' and 9'6'' Daiwa Heartland Rods off of FishUSA.com for dipsys or planer boards.  I use the 9'6'' for big dipsys and the 8'6'' for the smaller ones or for boards (when i run them).  Pick up some Okuma line counters Convectors or Catalinas (in 20 or 30 sizes) Spool em up with a high quality spectra braid (in 30-40lb) Get some various sized dipsy divers, some spoons, harnesses, various plugs and you are almost all set for the basics of Lake Erie walleye around Erie, PA....

Oh yea you might want a big net too...I own 2 Ranger landing nets i bought from Dicks Sporting Goods the biggest ones they sell with the bent hoop.  Outstanding net for $29.99 ive put 4 fish in it at one time...lol

Want a lesson on buying products?  Id be happy to help you spend your money...lol

1st time i saw a pic of your boat ShutUp....Nice rig...Looks like you got her all set up...Now all you need is a Kicker and a TR-1 AutoPilot on that gal and you'll be set sipping 2 gallons a day trolling. 
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2008/02/14 16:57:15

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/14 17:03:13 (permalink)
    I bought the planer mast reels off of ebay for about $20 each, (it took some shopping) got the pulleys at gander m. and built my planer mast much cheaper than I could have bought one.....

You guys think we have started to scare him yet?????

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/14 17:14:06 (permalink)
    Yeah CB, the kicker is on my list as of now.  Especially with these gas prices.  Will most likely go with a Honda 20 h.p.  Whats also nice is that I did not need a mast for my planers (not shown in the photo) I bought some Big Jon mast reels on ebay and mounted them right on the hard top.  Works pretty nicely.  The autopilot would also be very nice and is currently on my wish list.  I guess I can't have it all and need to be more patient.  Oh well, I just can't wait to get her back out on the water again.  Tight Lines. 

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/14 17:20:56 (permalink)
    CB, send some info this way on the rod holders, I am always lookin.  I checked the website real quick but didn't see em

TTFO
    New Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/15 08:36:15 (permalink)
    You guys haven't scared me too much.  I kind of knew what was coming all along.  I just need to be patient with my purchases.  I've gotten 3 of my 4 rods so far.  Okuma's right here on FishUSA...  they provide this space for us so when ever it possible they get my business!!  you guys should look here first.. excellent service!

When you guys buy your reef runners/bombers do you buy the deep divers if your going to be using them off dipsy's or are the deep divers mostly used when free lining?

Safety equipment is next.. followed by Anchor and mooring rope and fenders and.... and..... and....  This may never stop (good thing my wife doesn't read this stuff!!!!!!!!!!)
    Banananastix4
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/15 19:06:02 (permalink)
    TTFO I have an anchor that would fit your vessel,also I 2 bumper, and a safety kit. Just PM me I'll give you more details.
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/16 18:50:10 (permalink)
    You can't run deepdivers off the dipsys it will flip them only run shallow drvers,spoons,harnesses.Leadcore would be another choice,anchor rope lenght 3 times the water depth 200' should do you.Anchor retrevier ball would be the best 50 bucks you will ever spend.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/19 04:06:23 (permalink)
    Harbor freight has a nice roll of poly/nylon rope that works well for anchor.  It comes in a 1000' spool for around $20.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: New Boater 2008/02/19 12:54:05 (permalink)
    For perch fishing a 5-7 foot medium action Ugly Sick and a spinning reel with 8lb PowerPro line.
    You will feel every nibble with this combo.
    Power Pro is a braided super line that does not stretch.

On the Great Lakes you also need night signaling devices-Flares.
    I buy new ones before my old ones expire and keep the expired ones as spares.
    A large orange flag, smoke and a mirror are also nice.

Cell phones that have an external antenna will have a much longer range.
    A radio dedicated to weather is also nice.

For the mooring rope I also use a bungee style stretch rope with loops on the ends. Or I did-need to buy a new one, they dont float.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dockmate-5-Snubber-Dock-Line-stretches-to-7-Purple_W0QQitemZ120220454500QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120220454500&_trksid=p3756.m20.l1116
    Line snubbers are also a good idea-you tie them on both ends leaving extra rope in between. They act a shock absorber.
    Fender size will depend on boat size and shape.
    My Checkmate has a rapid V in the front so I use a round bumper there.
    Line adjusters are also a good idea. No two docks are the same.
    post edited by pghmarty - 2008/02/19 13:07:06
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: