Laurel Hill stocking

Author
davef
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 983
  • Reward points: 0
2018/03/11 11:41:46 (permalink)

Laurel Hill stocking

Can anyone verify if the Laurel Hill stocking was done.  I fished the bridge right above the lake with no luck and some other fisherman told me the gates were locked on the way in toward the boy scout camp this morning.

17 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/11 12:49:16 (permalink)
    davef
    Can anyone verify if the Laurel Hill stocking was done.  I fished the bridge right above the lake with no luck and some other fisherman told me the gates were locked on the way in toward the boy scout camp this morning.

Dave click the following link and hopefully it will take you to the trout stocking schedule for the entire state of PA.  Look toward the top of the page to find a box where you can select the county you desire then click the box below "search county".   Should take you to a list of all the streams in that county, showing stocking schedules for each individual stream.

http://fbweb.pa.gov/stock...ockingDetails_GIS.aspx

Hope the link works for you, Good times and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

davef
    Expert Angler
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/11 15:35:50 (permalink)
    BTDT:  It's been on the list for that day and time since the list was published.  I was going to go help and fish but went to a coin show yesterday instead.

Just makes me wonder as no one was fishing where the creek runs into the lake and then the gate being closed up stream.

I will check the schedule again as it may now show re-scheduled.  The lake is one of the places open for the mentored day and it usually gets a pretty good number of fish before that event.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/11 17:46:28 (permalink)
    Nope didn't catch any fresh ones just 4 holder over browns earlier

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    davef
    Expert Angler
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/11 18:41:50 (permalink)
    Thanks  Cory.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/11 21:03:33 (permalink)
    Try this link, zoom in on the balloon on the name of your stream of interest then, place your pointer at the point of interest, clicking should bring a pop-up where you can find a stocking schedule.  I see some areas were to be stocked yesterday and other areas slated for the 30th.

http://pfbc.maps.arcgis.c...c14be09e187cc325590ff9   

Apology's to those that tried the previous link, this one tested OK.

Looks like the area you speak of got stocked, while you were at the coin show.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/03/11 21:41:53

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/11 21:28:32 (permalink)
    I'm not real familiar with LH but have fished there a few times in the last couple years.

The DHALO was stocked according the schedule and if I'm not mistaken that starts just upstream of the bridge you're talking about right?

Below the bridge is considered the lake for
    sticking purposes right? If so that doesn't get stocked till 4/5.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/11 21:33:09 (permalink)
    Hi Dave.....

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/12 09:23:37 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Hi Dave.....

Howdy John

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/12 09:50:29 (permalink)
    http://pfbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3292981a1fcf415e9ce4a4a7a3ce98e2

PFBC maps are pretty impressive in locating stocked trout waters showing, what; where; and when, trout fishing opportunities. 

Info specific to trout waters and/or special regs have been color coded so an entire waterway may not be highlighted in the event one is looking for say, open year round, artificial only, etc, or you can select multiple filters and see an entire stream and see all the regs. 

From a menu on the left, click the info box you desire (trout streams, lakes, special regs, etc) then zoom in on the waters in the county you want to fish, place the pointer on the area of the waterway you're going to fish and a pop-up appears with any additional info.

Bet that wasn't cheap to design or maintain?

I tried posting links to specific counties/waterways but the links just take me back to the home page where ya gotta start from scratch , woa is me; for once again, I am a failure.

Butt hey!!!  Time for tying class #......  whatever, and today we learn, how to form a whip finish without, tying the fly to our thumb. 

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/03/12 10:36:28

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/12 14:05:26 (permalink)
    btdt, John it is pretty easy to find the stocking sched. I don't like those area maps,for me it is too hard to pinpoint stuff,but as I have said before I am not puter savy. Try this, go to pf&bc home page, go to bttm.left,,check on :stocking sched. & follow prompts for Somerset cnty for Laurel hill lake.  Also interesting is the habitat & improvement section that shows waters where they put cribs & etc.& shows locations.   sam
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/12 17:11:08 (permalink)
    Gotcha Sam, thank you.      I lost interest years ago with trout fishing and it wan't til this year when my neighbor began asking about fly fishing and trout stream stocking that I began searching for answers to his questions.    Since then, I been hearing little voices coming from a fly rod and reel combo, still new in the box, I bought ten plus years ago.  Althoughhhhh, it may not be only the trout thingy bringing about those voices as I thought I heard my name being called, a few days,  after speaking with a very successful and knowledgeable young man who is an avid fly fisher of both, trout and pike.  Since then, the thoughts of taking toothy critters on a fly rod have been dancing in my head but I may tag along with my neighbor, as he embarks on his maiden voyage to a few trout streams, just to keep him from getting lost of course.

Good times and tight lines.

PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/12 17:50:37 (permalink)
    Sometimes they are tricky with the dhalo, they alternate between loyalhanna and LH with numbers n size

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/12 18:03:21 (permalink)
    fishfashfush
    Sometimes they are tricky with the dhalo, they alternate between loyalhanna and LH with numbers n size

Those are loyalhanna stillhed smolts 3years epic run up Jones mill

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/12 18:13:05 (permalink)
    Mountian Man
    fishfashfush

Those are loyalhanna stillhed smolts 3years epic run up Jones mill

Best run ive seen in years no doubt

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/13 12:06:09 (permalink)
    Dave
    Did you ever find out if they stocked?

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/13 15:42:44 (permalink)
    George:  I checked the stocking schedule and didn't see anything about it being rescheduled.  I talked to a husband and wife who were fly fishing the delayed harvest area above the bridge and they said they saw no fish from daylight till I saw them around 10am.  I'm not sure how far above the bridge they went.

They told me they were at the Lolyhanna that day and some some spots that had been stocked heavy in the past only got three buckets.  I didn't think to ask if it was to be stocked that same day though.        Dave
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: Laurel Hill stocking 2018/03/14 12:38:07 (permalink)
    davef
    George:  I checked the stocking schedule and didn't see anything about it being rescheduled.  I talked to a husband and wife who were fly fishing the delayed harvest area above the bridge and they said they saw no fish from daylight till I saw them around 10am.  I'm not sure how far above the bridge they went.

Think they would have caught something or seen  some fish.  Like you said, if they postponed it it would have been listed on the stocking schedules.   Or if they did stock it may too cold and the fish are hiding and not biting.   Strange though if the gate was locked up stream.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    Jump to: