• Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2018/03/06 07:45:52 (permalink)

31 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/06 10:07:54 (permalink)
    Weeeeeelp so much for privacy using the PALs system.... eh?

But at least we now know where the money saved, by reducing the numbers of stocked trout (etc), will be spent.

Good idea. Waste money to learn where money is wasted..... priceless!

Now I'm wondering, should I break my promise to never buy a trout stamp or just go someplace where trout stamps are not required.

I'll get back to yinz on that!
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/03/06 10:12:24

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/06 11:06:33 (permalink)
    What a joke study ! Want to increase enthusiasm for fishing..... stock more fish stupid ! Nothing like catching fish to entice new anglers. As kids growing up we enjoyed local Trout fishing and it spread throughout our neighborhood and our friends real fast. Let a kid catch and keep 8 Trout and show off to others and see how fast that addiction spreads. Funny how that worked because today most of us are still fishing, not as much, but still fishing friends for life!      
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/06 11:44:14 (permalink)
    Take all the phones,pads,etc. from the youngsters and then they may look around for something to do in the outdoors.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/06 13:42:05 (permalink)
    Wait til the next study comes out, promising a trophy trout behind every tree!!!!    Gotta git, real estate agent on the phone. 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/06 15:20:47 (permalink)
    Stock more fish for sure.   My grand sons lost interest when they did not catch any fish.  Now they stay inside and play on their x-boxes.   What to do!!

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/06 15:35:33 (permalink)
    Panfisher
    Stock more fish for sure.   My grand sons lost interest when they did not catch any fish.  Now they stay inside and play on their x-boxes.   What to do!!

If they're under 16, the mentored youth trout fishing day is a blast!  my boys, who are 7 and 14 now, and i have been taking advantage of it for the past 2 seasons and will again this year.  it's a great opportunity to get them over a load of trout without all the madness of the regular opening day.  

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/06 16:46:39 (permalink)
    All the mentor programs are great ideas but they are all short lived ,but it's a start in the right direction.
    I hear you Panfish ......That's part of the problem we have local with the cutting down of stocked Trout or elimination all together......lots of water but thin on fish to catch. Seems the future looks even worse locally for younger fishermen.

Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/06 19:11:46 (permalink)
    Arway is trying what he can on a limited budget..personally I think he's an idiot, but in his defense his hands are tied with the budget situation..reminds me of any current AP article...he is trying to get a feel for the commission money spent the right way..problem is, he's an idiot. He is trying desperately not to be, but he is.

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/06 19:13:15 (permalink)
    Ball less whiner

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/06 22:01:41 (permalink)
    Arway's only concern is SOS which is no secrete, he is personnaly spearheading as his pet project.

Arway was railroaded into office following enviromental studies conducted on the Susquehanna.

Problem, unlimited funds didn't happen, and the SOS fund raising seems to now be SOL.

Arway didn't get the budget he thought he should have or the right to increase license fees as he saw fit so John got cocky threatening cuts in programs, hoping to bring political pressure from PA. anglers.. This of course piszed off some politicians who returned fire by pushing to create a term limit involving Arway's office which would put John among the unemployed, this month.

Noooo doubt in my conspiracy tainted brain, the PFBC targets select areas, to purposely impose their "must buy a trout stamp to fish" laws. Shenango River Lake will be next.

Wanna bet, if Pymatuning wasn't shared with the Buckeye State, a trout stamp would be required to fish there?

Gotta git, time for my SugerPops.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/07 09:39:06 (permalink)
    The budget will not get any better for the foreseeable future. Pensions are killing PFBC and PGC. Fishing license sales aren't going to be skyrocketing anytime soon. Even if they get a license increase, the amount of people who don't buy a license will offset any new revenue. Both agencies will fight tooth and nail to continue to circle the drain, and avoid being flushed. Best thing that could happen is consolidation.
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/07 11:16:34 (permalink)
    rsquared
    Panfisher

If they're under 16, the mentored youth trout fishing day is a blast!  my boys, who are 7 and 14 now, and i have been taking advantage of it for the past 2 seasons and will again this year.  it's a great opportunity to get them over a load of trout without all the madness of the regular opening day.  

The youngest one is 13 and the oldest is 18.  I tried to get the younger one to go last year.  I will try again this year to get him to go.  His dad fishes but not a lot.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/07 11:47:40 (permalink)
    Panfisher

The youngest one is 13 and the oldest is 18.  I tried to get the younger one to go last year.  I will try again this year to get him to go.  His dad fishes but not a lot.

Hope ya get him to go!  

It's tough to get kids interested with all the other options they have now.  Not just phones and x boxes, but sports and other activities.  I've tried to make it a priority for my boys since they were old enough to walk and hold a fishing rod.  They both love their fishing!  

Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/07 12:07:20 (permalink)
    I’m a 17 year old that fishes every chance I get. I started fishing through stocked trout, think it is tragic what is going on. I’m one of the only ones at my school that fishes. Most of my friends tell me they have never been fishing a day. Most of my best memories with my dad entail fishing. For all reading, take a kid fishing. My dad took me fishing and now I beg him to take me every chance I get
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/07 17:38:34 (permalink)
    Erie_flyfishing
    I’m a 17 year old that fishes every chance I get. I started fishing through stocked trout, think it is tragic what is going on. I’m one of the only ones at my school that fishes. Most of my friends tell me they have never been fishing a day. Most of my best memories with my dad entail fishing. For all reading, take a kid fishing. My dad took me fishing and now I beg him to take me every chance I get

Your 17 get a drivers license n go

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/07 18:48:05 (permalink)
    Neither the PFBC or PGC can raise rates without review and approval by the State Legislature, (though I don't recall hearin' it in the news when the PGC came out with Pheasant stamp). The difference between the two is that the PGC has much more income; ie: $23 million from oil and gas leases, and another $8 million from other income besides licensing and fines. The only appropriate alternative is to consolidate the two agencies, get rid of some of the fat through early retirements (let some of them get on with other life's work), cut down on the overhead by gettin' rid of some of the vehicles, maybe not quite such cushy pensions, and last, let the folks from each agency learn the others job. Once done, then the legislature should provide an appropriation yearly to supplement the total income of the PFBGC. We might be able to do this with a grass roots movement, starting with our Reps. Nothing ventured; nothing gained!

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/07 19:08:41 (permalink)
    ^^^^
    The pheasant permit is just that, a permit, and not a license, so it fell outside of needing legislative approval. Call it a loophole.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/07 20:41:47 (permalink)
    Vasoline not included.

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/08 07:46:54 (permalink)
    fishfashfush
    Erie_flyfishing

Your 17 get a drivers license n go

I think the point he was making was he likes fishing with his dad.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2531
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/08 10:26:36 (permalink)
    psu_fish
    The budget will not get any better for the foreseeable future. Pensions are killing PFBC and PGC. Fishing license sales aren't going to be skyrocketing anytime soon. Even if they get a license increase, the amount of people who don't buy a license will offset any new revenue. Both agencies will fight tooth and nail to continue to circle the drain, and avoid being flushed. Best thing that could happen is consolidation.

I agree. The pension issue is also having a huge negative impact on local and state government. Some of these public-sector unions have some really sweet deals in place. Don't get me wrong, I'm a previous union member myself, 42 years United steel worker and yes, we had some sweet deals also.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9693
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/08 11:30:11 (permalink)
    bigfoot
    psu_fish

I agree. The pension issue is also having a huge negative impact on local and state government. Some of these public-sector unions have some really sweet deals in place. Don't get me wrong, I'm a previous union member myself, 42 years United steel worker and yes, we had some sweet deals also.

Without context of actually speaking, and typing in a forum, please don't take this as an argumentative response.  Just curious of how this could actually be fixed?

I don't think anyone is denying there is an issue with state pensions.  How do you propose to fix it though, without completely skewering people?  Do you tell those that are retired, too bad, go find a job at 80 to make up the difference?  Do you tell those that paid into it for 30 years, too bad, nothing for you in a few years?  Where is the line to tell people too bad?  With Harrisburg dipping into those funds, they messed up what was actually working.  Now, those in public sector unions, are the evil ones to many.  If you were to make all new hires, non-union or no pension, who pays for the existing pensions?  I don't think most would care if pensions were eliminated from the public sector for new employees.  But if no money coming in from those new employees, how do you fund those that paid their dues?

Personally, why not find out exactly how much was dipped into these funds, add interest, and put back into those funds.  Make it publicly known, what politicians approved the pillaging of those accounts, and where those funds were used.  Take that money from cuts to the programs that they ended up funding.  If taxes need to go up to fund those programs elsewhere, then that is a decision that those that stole those funds, forced upon everyone.  If the pension plans aren't working, without restoring those funds, then a plan B at that point.  If it is found out that there weren't any funds stolen, or they were minimal, then plan B.  If it this was due to certain politicians making sweetheart deals with the public sector union heads, then make their names publicly known, and show how they were behind it.  

I find it strange that so many vilify these middle class earning workers (not saying that anyone quoted is, but seems to be the vibe of reading things, possibly out of context), that make up the vast majority of public sector union employees.  When it is the politicians and the heads of these departments, which are not public sector union members, that seem to be behind the mess.  Don't get me wrong, many of the union heads aren't doing what is best for their members and the tax payers as a whole either.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/08 13:52:11 (permalink)
    Big difference between public unions and private unions. Public is totally dependent on tax revenue taken in, private on profits the company makes or is willing to share. Sometimes in private unions in order to keep the company running in bad times we took pay cuts, gave up vacations, benefit cuts, and so on. It was never all take or a sweet deal, or even a guarantee every contract. We also paid or supplemented our health care coverage for many years paying steady monthly premiums. Something just fairly new to some public unions.

Our pensions were based on our working hours over the years worked on an average, everyone's was different. And when your company goes bankrupt like mine did your loose about 3/4 of your earned pension ! Not to mention any company stock investments, insurances, health care, or back pay you had coming....you loose all! So don't think for one minute private union workers have it made in the shade and get nothing but sweet deals every contract !

Fact..... our union wages didn't break or hurt our company.....super excusive "foreign steel" dumping, and corporate raiders running our company's management sunk our ship !

I'm no Trump fan,but I'm all for those import tariffs! Foreign metal imports destroyed many industries across Pa.,WV, and Ohio and most in DC didn't even try to help back then!

I apologize for ranting off subject.    
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/08 16:09:52 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    I'm no Trump fan,but I'm all for those import tariffs! Foreign metal imports destroyed many industries across Pa.,WV, and Ohio and most in DC didn't even try to help back then!

I think this is about 35 years too late.  Most modern steel mills are automated, and not bringing back nearly the jobs lost in the 80s.  I just hope that this doesn't start a trade war with allies.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/...80%93Hawley_Tariff_Act
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/08 20:43:40 (permalink)
    I agree ......but believe it or not there are steel companies in our area completely rolling nothing but foreign Russian steel every day and ship it out as made in the USA ! The sad part is the USWA union backs this plant I'm talking about.....go figure ! 

When they were putting up tube and pipe along the Mexican border a few years ago our federal government contract was awarded to a foreign supplier ! WTF ! Thanks to our local pipe plant Wheatland Tube, that's made USA pipe for over 70 years complained enough that somebody opened their eyes and ears and they were awarded the bid !  Imagine that ,a foreign company gets a US contract and our American workers get the shaft ! Who ever allowed that or still does allow that to happen should be fired and investigated !     
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/09 06:07:07 (permalink)
    First off, let me say that I'm against public sector unions. If you want to serve in government, then serve, but you should be preparing your own retirement while doing so. That being said, the public sector unions are most likely here to stay, but the worst thing about them is: when the union negotiates a contract, they're not sitting across the table from the people who pay them. They're sitting across the table with the folks they voted for. And the politicians play the "kick the can down the road" game, and then we find all the unfunded liabilities.

Let the PFBC and the PGC combine. Streamline the organization and move on.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/09 09:13:43 (permalink)
    EMitch - I can't disagree with what you are saying, especially negotiating with cronies.  Although, that can be said of most large organizations, companies, ect.  For some reason, it is defended by our Supreme Court as "freedom of speech"...

How do you fix this, without basically putting every PA public sector union worker, through what Captain Hook, and 1/4 (or more) of the families in the Western PA region went through in the 80s?  I grew up in one of those families, and fortunate that my parents made it through the constant fighting over making ends meet.  Many of my friends can't say the same.  For some, it partially led them into some bad decisions, and another crisis we face in WPA now.  Right now, there is a rather vibrant economy.  Many of those public sector employees would just go find another job, and leave the government to crumble.  I would, if someone told me, you are going to lose 3/4 of your retirement and have to take a 10% pay cut.  I think most on here that have additional mouths to feed, would do the same.  I don't think most go into government positions, just to live off of tax payers.    

I hope this is a start.  Eventually, eliminate the "hybrid" and make full 401k style.  It at least doesn't just pull the carpet from many, but puts more in line with most of us that don't have pensions, and saving for our own retirement.  

http://www.poconorecord.c...teachers-state-workers
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/09 09:18:35 (permalink)
    I like that combo idea too, has got to save money in the long run and maybe some programs we need to keep running. Too bad we don't get to vote direct on issues both local and state ,and not vote for the person making our decisions ! To many deals made or favorites played behind the scenes.  
    DubVGotM
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/15 09:45:45 (permalink)
    Double the price of a trout stamp and cut the total number of streams stocked by 1/3. Focus stocking efforts on lakes and streams/rivers that get too warm in summer to sustain life. Any waterway that could potentially harbor a solid population of wild trout should be protected and left alone. That is how you create a long term sustainable economically sound system. People will buy a license for quality fish. Making the fishing experience dependent upon hatchery reared fish is a bad recipe, imo. 
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2531
    Re: FROM OUTDOOR NEWS 2018/03/16 12:08:08 (permalink)
    DubVGotM
    Double the price of a trout stamp and cut the total number of streams stocked by 1/3. Focus stocking efforts on lakes and streams/rivers that get too warm in summer to sustain life. Any waterway that could potentially harbor a solid population of wild trout should be protected and left alone. That is how you create a long term sustainable economically sound system. People will buy a license for quality fish. Making the fishing experience dependent upon hatchery reared fish is a bad recipe, imo. 

Welcome. Hope ya stick around. Don't know if your idea would pan out or not, but at least you came up with something.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: