Just for fun

Author
flirod4evr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 208
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/10 14:34:25 (permalink)

Just for fun

I normally go for the more glamorous species but dont mind cacthing me a couple carp now and again. Whats a good bait for carp. When the shenango river comes down I'll prob go down there and try drifting bait in the shallow slow areas where you can see them tailing. And what rod should I use. I have a 5'6" light, an 8 weight fly rod, an 8' medium rod, a 6'6" medium, a 4 weight fly rod and a 5'7" medium heavy. Any help much appreciated.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"

10 Replies Related Threads

ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Just for fun 2008/02/11 00:40:32 (permalink)
    I targeted them exclusively on the fly last summer on Shenango. They are everywhere in the summer. You can watch the takes depending on the depth. You'll see em' tailing all over the place in the shallower parts and in the deeper pools I'll fish either an egg pattern, dead drift any color bugger or a bigger prince nymph. They aren't really that picky fly wise but they do spook very easy. I fished my eight weight for them, by the way. Had a couple come close to my backing.
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Just for fun 2008/02/11 09:36:35 (permalink)
    I'm thinking of doing that cause its easy. I'm already rigged up from steelhead. Are they leader shy?

ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Just for fun 2008/02/11 18:18:38 (permalink)
    No, atleast I haven't found them to be, then again I've used no more than 3x at the most.
    nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Just for fun 2008/02/12 06:52:01 (permalink)
    i remember reading somewhere(in-fisherman?) that carp can be taken on freshwater shrimp patterns, kinda like fishing for redfish on the flats.

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Just for fun 2008/02/12 14:56:48 (permalink)
    I have a great scud pattern for down there. I was thinking of using that and a globug. Or a caddis pattern.

pacarper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 463
    RE: Just for fun 2008/02/13 05:49:21 (permalink)
    I do some carpin’ on the Shenango, but not on the fly, although I have done a little flyfishing for carp in the past.  Despite what some believe, you can catch carp year round.  About a month back in Jan. when we had that little warm up, I caught 8 carp to 11.5 lbs (the biggest being a mirror carp) from the river in Sharon one Sat. afternoon.  Just keepin’ it simple for the most part, using canned corn for bait and white bread, as well as some packbait.  I also caught a couple on hair-rigged corn.  Back when I fished the river for trout, I had caught a couple carp on a small rapala.  The 6.5 or 8’ rod should work fine for carp.  It usually helps to prebait a spot for a couple days ahead of time (unless ya know the carp are there) and then fish it.

ORIGINAL: flirod4evr

I normally go for the more glamorous species but dont mind cacthing me a couple carp now and again. Whats a good bait for carp. When the shenango river comes down I'll prob go down there and try drifting bait in the shallow slow areas where you can see them tailing. And what rod should I use. I have a 5'6" light, an 8 weight fly rod, an 8' medium rod, a 6'6" medium, a 4 weight fly rod and a 5'7" medium heavy. Any help much appreciated.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Just for fun 2008/02/13 08:54:43 (permalink)
    I,ve used a mudler minnow to catch them. Sight fish for them. Toss ahead of them and let them suck it in. Alot of fun. 

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Just for fun 2008/02/13 09:22:10 (permalink)
    You can use all kinds of flies for Carp.  Hare's ears, big glo bugs, dry flies (cicadas especially), wooly buggers, craw fish imitations.

The key is to not spook them, they spook easier than trout.

One fly I've used is like a wooly bugger, without hackles, I don't know if it has a name. 
    #8 streamer hook
    Brown thread
    bead chain eyes
    brown marabou tail
    copper ribbing
    orange dubbing
    partridge soft hackle

Tie on the bead chain eyes.
    Tie on the copper wire
    Tie on the marabou tail, bring the thread forward.
    Twist the extra marabou and wrap it forward then tie off behind the eyes.
    Wrap the copper the opposite direction of the marabou, tie off behind the eyes.
    Medium to large partridge feather, wrap behind the eyes two to three turns like a collar.
    dub orange dubbing behind and over the bead chain eyes in a figure 8.
    tie off.

Dead drift it.  You can also let it rest on the bottom, and the partridge kind of breaths, twitch is slowly.  It's caught me some carp, bass and trout.
    littlefisher
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Just for fun 2008/02/17 17:56:57 (permalink)
    I got to the wire at pymtum with a loaf and bread and laugh all afternoon

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Just for fun 2008/02/26 13:21:46 (permalink)
    i use a twister tail yellow /green /white with a 1/4 or less jig head work it slow and hold on got one so big my friend broke his noodle rod and the daam thing could not fit in the net and it fits alarge fish salmon 30lb so by a guess this thing was over 40lbs fun to catch ice out to may is the time
    Jump to: