Author
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
  • Reward points: 0
2017/11/08 20:38:28 (permalink)

Random survey

How many people here actually honestly use

1)other peoples facebook pages/pics to locate fish?

2) finding your own based off weather and basic knowledge?

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em

40 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/08 21:10:34 (permalink)
    I have never used Facebook to find fishing spots. I think that site is horrible. Then again, I have never tried looking for fishing spots using Facebook... Maybe it isn't as horrible as I may think? For a new spot, I mostly get info from sites like this, read about seasonal patterns, use maps and charts, and talk to bait shop owners or other guys out fishing, then mix with knowledge I have gained of other spots. Half of the fun is trying to formulate a plan of attack when planning a trip.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/08 21:58:40 (permalink)
    What's Facebook ? Oh yea that's where everybody is a Hollywood celebrity !

Print out a satellite map and put on your walking boots....works wonders with some effort.

Always trial and error involved, that's what makes a great find when it pays off ! 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/08 23:21:11 (permalink)
    Dang double........
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/08 23:28:22

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/08 23:24:56 (permalink)
    Nope not me, don't won't and will not have a Facebook page.

I agree with the Capt. and (don't ever repeat this) Pork (but only on fishing).

Half the fun is learning the fishe's habitat and food preference. Also it is said, Success = location + presentation. The other half is catching. Which seems to be the half I can't quite master...... yet! 😳

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/08 23:27:29 (permalink)
     I get bored sometimes & check bait shop reports on Facebook, mostly like checking out the photos. My page always has "Pop Ups" ov cool videos ov fishing related & so forth that I enjoy but not serching for. Liked the bear harvest my friend sent me with photos ov his & his girl friends dad's bear"s" this week. Can block out friends with too much poop 

It's all good. Just woke up from nap 
     Might put U Tube on the tube & check out fall fishin' patterns on Pmy tonight. No one to talk to mup here tonight. Better than puting up crown molding in the parlor 

crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2017/11/08 23:48:20
    Jreckner154
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 06:36:36 (permalink)
    I too hate facebook. While fishing I may walk 1-5 miles on any give day. I check the water gages and use info gathered from other humans.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 08:20:33 (permalink)
    Yeah, there's no shortcut to experience and time on the water. Gotta wear out the boots, you'll be better off.

Facebook can be a good tool to find out where NOT to fish. If someone posts a ridiculously glowing report with obvious photo backgrounds, you know not to go to that circus the next day. Jokes on them if they're blowing up their spot or hot bite(doesn't have to be Erie....goes for anywhere) but ya also gotta take into consideration the other fishermen(if there's other fishermen) that keep quiet. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate someone broadcasting it.

If there is an epic run of the century on say a Thursday or Friday, just wait until Monday to post your photos...
    hookedonsteels
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 08:41:41 (permalink)
    Own info.  No facebook for me.

No working during fishing hours
    TTTTTTODAY JJUNYA
    Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 08:42:29 (permalink)
    Poor Richards always tells me where to go. They sell me the treble hooks to
    crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 08:44:43 (permalink)
    Once a place is spot burned I avoid it.  Also find it very irritating when I am planning on fishing a spot and the day before someone posts how great it is.  Even worse is when someone posts a picture and doesn't give the exact spot.  Then some jerk comes on and says I know where that is, you are at ...
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 13:19:14 (permalink)
    Both.

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 13:52:32 (permalink)
    I don't need reports.  
    I just go fishing a lot.
    What I really need is someone to accurately predict the weather. 
    H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 16:09:34 (permalink)
    Fish are everywhere, so don't go off pics. The best is people posting where you catch it, and what you use on the Poor Richard's pictures.

Check the weather up north more than I do here in Pittsburgh lol. After the first 2 years or so you learn when to go up, and where to look.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 17:22:53 (permalink)
    Never stop learning, A lot ov great videos on the net. Can learn soo much in such a short time & watching something I love. Nice to get info from some of the best. I can always use some extra tips to get better.

crappy
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 18:27:29 (permalink)
    Don't need social media for fishing info. Just need my steelhead gillie Dano to unhook my fish & set up my lawn chair so I can sit while I drift.
    Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 20:00:03 (permalink)
    Hey Bob, hope your well, missed seeing you last weekend at follys
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/09 22:41:27 (permalink)
    Plum Bob is still in the house!!!! Keep crushin feesh and cookin up some deelish food stream side. Anybody got any old pics from back in the day?

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 07:53:30 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the well wishes. Still able to get out & stick a few steelhead with lots of help from my good friend Dano. Regret not going to this year's steelhead slam. Would have been great to see you guys! Next year for sure.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 08:20:26 (permalink)
    fisherofmen376
    Plum Bob is still in the house!!!! Keep crushin feesh and cookin up some deelish food stream side. Anybody got any old pics from back in the day?

Got lots of those old pics from the past.
    Here's a couple new ones with Bob from this week.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 08:23:00 (permalink)
    Great to see you are still at it....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 08:51:05 (permalink)
    great to see man! Keep going. Tight lines
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 09:56:22 (permalink)
    Back to the topic at hand. Yes I have used social media pics to pic out spots on waterways. Fella used to post a bunch of huge Brownies coming out of the Allegheny river. Scrutinized those for a clue as to where he was fishing. Same with Steelie pics, have picked out stream stretches that seemed more productive at that time.

On a side note I used to post alot of pics on here. Fly fishing for steelies was new to me and wanted to share that excitement with all. Knew most of the regulars on here and really didn't care if they knew where I was at. But then reality slapped me in the face and realized it's the couple thousand trolls that saw these pics and were able to do "what I have done before" and picked out the spots even if they were never named. Seemed like the pressure would increase after a "good  trib report". The clincher was when I hit the mouth of 20 Mile one day. Fished from the bridge to the mouth and had  4 people say "hey aren't you Bing from Fisherie ?"
    Had no clue who these folks were. It showed me just how many folks were seeing the pics. Spoonfeeding the masses is not a good thing. Lesson learned....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dano
    Pro Angler
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 09:58:14 (permalink)
    bingsbaits
    Great to see you are still at it....

Not only at it but still out fishing me.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 09:59:46 (permalink)
    bingsbaits
    Back to the topic at hand. Yes I have used social media pics to pic out spots on waterways. Fella used to post a bunch of huge Brownies coming out of the Allegheny river. Scrutinized those for a clue as to where he was fishing. Same with Steelie pics, have picked out stream stretches that seemed more productive at that time.

On a side note I used to post alot of pics on here. Fly fishing for steelies was new to me and wanted to share that excitement with all. Knew most of the regulars on here and really didn't care if they knew where I was at. But then reality slapped me in the face and realized it's the couple thousand trolls that saw these pics and were able to do "what I have done before" and picked out the spots even if they were never named. Seemed like the pressure would increase after a "good  trib report". The clincher was when I hit the mouth of 20 Mile one day. Fished from the bridge to the mouth and had  4 people say "hey aren't you Bing from Fisherie ?"
    Had no clue who these folks were. It showed me just how many folks were seeing the pics. Spoonfeeding the masses is not a good thing. Lesson learned....

I understand your reasoning,  but do miss the pictures...
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 11:36:08 (permalink)
    bingsbaits

100% agree

I have become comfortably numb
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 12:15:56 (permalink)
    Gary....can yuu juss put pitcherz of yewww?  We wanna see that beeeyewteeful mug of yours! 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 13:40:46 (permalink)
    The constant flood of Facebook pics, videos and reports can be tempting, but your time is always better spent on the water, exploring. Watch Bassmasters sometime. How often do the guys fishing the community hole hoist the trophy? Not very. It’s usually the dude doing his own thing in his own spot. Learn to anticipate fish movement and always heed the immortal words of Ricky Bobby: “If you’re not first, you’re last.” 
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 21:00:01 (permalink)
    Yea Bings you had some really nice photos over the years. I learned early when posting most  public photos not to show much backround if possible. I will share most with friends on private mail. Just way too many trolls and leeches around !

gillicer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Random survey 2017/11/10 21:19:00 (permalink)
    I have made mention in the past about if fish are biting or not. people showed up out of the woodwork the following days. i dont post much any more,  I do my homework, with time on the water and changing up my presentation; trolling jigging live bait. and learning to read fish finders.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: