• Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2017/11/03 18:18:16 (permalink)

30 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/03 21:23:08 (permalink)
    Pike thanks for putting that link up. Interesting read.

Game Commission can eat their Pheasant program. Just another feather in their hat in destroying hunting the Pennsylvania Wilds.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/06 08:57:59 (permalink)
    This stamp works in favor of a true bird hunter. It would have been great when I was younger and ran setters. It keeps a lot of yin yans out of the woods.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/06 10:15:47 (permalink)
    Big Tuna
    This stamp works in favor of a true bird hunter. It would have been great when I was younger and ran setters. It keeps a lot of yin yans out of the woods.

Was talking to my neighbor last week who runs GSP's and he echoed that BT. Said it was wonderful to show up to the game lands he hunts and not have to deal with all the riff raff.
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/12 09:34:35 (permalink)
    My buddy went to hunt Game Lands 93 to hunt pheasants and there was so many hunters he left.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/12 11:33:05 (permalink)
    ^^^^ Wonder if they all had a pheasant permit?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/12 19:02:24 (permalink)
    PGC starting their own private game reserves.

Heck yinz may as well go to a private reserve. Most provide dogs and a limit greater than two birds.

Ya gotta luv da PGC............
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/12 19:05:45

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/13 07:29:58 (permalink)
    The difference is that the pheasant permit is $25 and is good for the whole season with a daily bag limit of two; while a preserve is typically $30-$36 per bird released (without the services of a guide/dog which is typically $50-$75 per half day, plus tip) with a typical minimum of 5-10 birds per gun.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like paying more for a pheasant permit than a general license, but I can hunt pheasants under current PGC for a decade than I can for a half day (10 birds per gun minimum) at a preserve.

That is why, to get the amount of use out of my dogs, I hunt both.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/13 20:48:18 (permalink)
    $35.00 a bird? Pssst, I got some land I'd like to sell ya. A bit marshy but plenty of geese and ducks.

It'd been a few years but we had a reserve where a guy could train his dogs under the guns of others. At the end if their hunt, the dog owner could hunt for remaining birds.

I sure don't remember $35.00 a bird! Hell my nephew bought birds to train his Springier and I'm thinking he paid $7.00 a bird.

Anyways, it appears to me the number of stocking fields will become limited, over crowded, with fewer birds being stocked.

Kinda like trout fishing Congo lines. Shooters down the sides of a field while, in this case, dogs flush the birds.

PGC already saying the stamp didn't produce the expected cash flow. What better excuse to cancel the Pheasant stocking altogether. Pheasant money budgeted prior to the new stamp, undoubtedly has been diverted to other benefits by now.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/13 20:50:36

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/14 06:58:58 (permalink)
    One can buy birds, depending on when, for $9-$12 each, but if one goes to a preserve, expect to pay $30+ each. The preserve has costs beyond the bird — land, labor, insurance, buildings, planting, permits, dog related costs, taxes, etc. before any profits (which despite a six month season probably boils down to around a 100 +/- days of business).

As for how it has been thus far since the inception of the pheasant permit, at least in my area, I hunted the first Friday and there were three vehicles in the parking lot when I arrived. When I returned after a limit of birds (I was by myself, so it didn’t take too long), they were gone and two different vehicles were there. I never saw any of them afield.

Last Friday, there were no vehicles in the parking lot and the only hunters we saw were a 1/2 mile away at the closest that came in from the other end of the public property.

We will see what happens this afternoon.

But I do think that this is the beginning of the end for the PGC pheasant program. It has become too costly to maintain— even with the permit, costs don’t come anywhere near being covered (but they can employ a dozen non game bird biologists for some reason just fine). The numbers will show, probably after three years, that it needs to be shut down.

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/14 07:18:04 (permalink)
    DarDys, this letter/article appeared in my PA Outdoors newsletter I get in my emails, from yesterday:   http://www.outdoornews.co...rs-pennsylvania/ 
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/14 08:17:13 (permalink)
    This all boils down to Pennsylvania attitude towards the people who live here. If you live within the state you are automatically labeled a Cash Cow, whose only purpose is to provide monies for the Commonwealth. If they can't get your money with taxes they'll charge for permits for everything under the sun that relates to enjoyment and now they're expanding gambling to cheat you out of your remaining funds.
      Years ago when I was active in our Club pheasant program we built the pens and maintain them to the PGCs requirements.We bought all the feed and meds that the birds needed. Members fed and watered these birds everyday, removed dead birds and made record of the time and day the bird was found. The Game Warden would come by once or twice a month, have a couple beers sign the book and leave. The only thing the GC did was supply us with the peeps. We had to drive to Ligonier to get the birds. At release time the birds had to be released on ground opened to public hunting.
      Everything is the same today except we have to BUY the birds and never see a Warden but birds still go to public hunting areas. And now they want to charge our members to hunt said birds.B.S.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/14 08:55:59 (permalink)
    pikepredator2
    DarDys, this letter/article appeared in my PA Outdoors newsletter I get in my emails, from yesterday:   http://www.outdoornews.co...rs-pennsylvania/ 

Since I have only been out twice this season thus far, I have little to add to the article, but I must concur.

The first trip I was by myself. Two points, two shots, two roosters, 30-40 minutes. I never heard another shot.

Second trip I had a regular hunting partner along. Seven points, five shots (yes, I shot twice at one), four birds bagged, 3.5 hours hunted.

While the results seem okay, by comparison, they are truly not. I too keep pretty solid records and the decline in bird numbers, at least in the areas I hunt, have been steady for the last five years, pheasant permits or not (in fact, we did better when the stocking alottment was half of what it was for the last three years due to repairs to the pheasant farms).

There was a stretch of a decade that every trip, every trip mind you, that it didn’t matter if it was one hunter or five, limits were filled completely, even with some terrible shooting in our part at times.

The best trip was five years ago. There were five of us and we all limited, with some missed and no shots mixed in. On the way out, walking as directly back as possible from where we were, the dogs pointed 18 more, which we flushed with empty guns just for fun.

It is important to keep in mind that I was running a brace of PA State Champion punters at the time and they were like going through a field with a vacuum cleaner. However, the last three seasons is still with one of those dogs and his kennel mate finished 2nd at the Championship when she was 17 months old.

But if they were producing that many birds, anyone with a serviceable dog could get plenty of action.

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/14 10:09:33 (permalink)
    I agree Dar. It was fun watching a group of guys coming out of the game lands complaining about lack of birds and making every excuse it the book about no birds. Brady my favorite setter that I hunted over for 11 years would make short work,and two birds would be in the bag in no time. She was one in a million,and after her that was the last setter. I wanted another but marriage,baby's and work got in the way,plus no dog could compare. Many true stories of hunting with her,it amazing to have the privilege to hunt over a first class dog.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/14 10:47:47 (permalink)
    I liked the first paragraph where the writer wishes not to be compared to the "peevish whiners" (that would be me) but now that one of his favorite past time(s) is being tampered with welllll..........

But I understand his feelings otherwise.  This pheasant thing just smells of the smoke and mirror show we  heard from Gary Alt.

I'm a supporter of hunting, in Pennsylvania and will be more than happy to support the Pheasant hunters in PA.  Unfortunately, I smell a specially formulated program aimed at reducing the amount of birds stocked there-by reducing the amount of acres being stocked, leading to overcrowded hunting grounds.

Sign me; pessimist.  

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/15 06:59:30 (permalink)
    Spent 2.5 hours chasing the pointer around yesterday with poor results.

Wanted to hunt a different area, but when I arrived, there was a guy just off loading a GSP, so as not to crowd him, I continued on to the next parking area. I did hear one flurry of three shots from the area he entered.

For my and the dod’s part, we had one wild flush at 100 yards (with the dog in sight at 20) and two solid points.

The first point expertly put an autumn olive tree between us, so there was no opportunity for a shot. I really needed my hunting buddy to be along (he had a last minute thing come up and had to cancel) so we could have pinched the point and some one would have had shooting or my other Pointer along (he has taken early retirement except at preserves due to arthritis) so he could have blocked.

The second point was along the water and when I walked in through the reeds, a huge heron flew. When it squawked, I almost needed that clean up from another thread.

Not a banner day. Will try again on Friday.

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/16 09:56:22 (permalink)
    Nice reading about the pheasant days of hunting both present and past. I too for years (mainly younger days ) enjoyed some fairly decent bird hunting, unfortunately mostly without dogs. We would fan out with 4-5 hunters and push many a field of wild growth. Back then it was Ringnecks or Roosters only, so hen flushes were allowed to escape unharmed. Mercer county area held a good number of birds back then both wild and stocked so we enjoyed it for years. 

I really never understood when they (Pa. Game Commish )  allowed the shooting of hens later on. Seems these wild hens were the breed stock of keeping birds wild ! Many a spring day one could see a hen crossing a road with a brood of young ones following. Today that's so rare you might see Bigfoot before seeing that !

At the time I believe they claimed the birds weren't making it through the winters and dying off, so rather not waste them they opened the season up . I thought that was an outright lie because some winters I'd seen birds many a day feeding and they all seemed to be around come springtime. No doubt some died due to winter fatigue ,but shooting off all the rest left basically none ! Wasn't long after most wild birds were basically gone and a bunch or road runners took their place.

Hunting areas disappeared too so I won't blame it all on wild bird extinction, but shooting wild hens then...... just didn't make sense. Like hunting hen turkeys .....I won't do it.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/19 07:15:47 (permalink)
    Had no problem forking over the $$ for the stamp this year. I'm sure I could waste $25 on worse things anyway, so I thought it was still a fairly cheap investment for the amount of use I'd get out of it. I can say that while she's no champion hunting dog, if I didn't have my lab mix I wouldn't have spent the cash on it though.

Don't have much past experience to compare to seeing as I just started hunting them last year, but seems to me there has been plenty of birds stocked in my area of NW PA this year. Hunting pressure seems to be lower than last year with the new stamp requirement though. Only seen one or two other cars parked, if any at all, the times I've been out. I have been surprised that I haven't been checked by, or even seen a warden in the numerous times that I've been out. Figured with the new stamp that it would be common occurance this year.

As for the stamp, last I had read they expected to sell around 60,000 of them, but in reality the number came out to be around 30,000. If that holds true I can see the stocking program being greatly reduced in future years. Dang I picked the wrong time in life to start hunting them.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/19 07:51:54 (permalink)
    Friday was more like it bird wise. 15 points in a little over 2 hours.

Did get cut off three times by the only other person hunting in the area. After the third time, we left to go to another area. Saw this guy heading out also.

Got to the next area and there’s 6 vehicles, so we drove to the next area. Five vehicles there and since we had seen the cut off man getting ready to leave, we went back to our original area. He was gone.

Pointed and killed some birds, then got cut off again — by the same guy who had obviously also returned. This time we had a little discussion on hunting etiquette concerning when hunters are on one side of a road and no one is on the other side, it is wise to hunt the unoccupied side and not run ahead and cut off the other party. I don’t think it sunk in.

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/19 09:26:38 (permalink)
    It's the same as fishing in a water desert! Not one other person around but catch one little bluegill and all of a sudden your in a crowd!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/19 20:58:19 (permalink)
    With all the bird talk, this might be a good time to mention I have a gun shy German Short Haired Pointer for sale...... cheap.  Free shipping; not included! 

Not my fault....... honest, stupid cabin fever. 

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/19 22:41:07 (permalink)
    If it's gun shy try a bow and there's always slingshots!
    lost sage rod sectio
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/20 00:27:45 (permalink)
    I think the pgc is doing a good job with the pheasant program so far. I wasn't happy about the $26.90 for a stamp. But if you have a bird dog you have to just suck it up and pay. My problem with the PGC is I remember when there used to be a duck farm and they shut it down. My question was then  Where did that money go? They don't have to explain and should be audited. So for now it is a wait and see deal and I for one hope they can keep it running. I know there are some that say they  don't care about pheasants but if you don't get birds where is that money going to go? Happy Turkey.!!!!

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/20 08:40:30 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs
    If it's gun shy try a bow and there's always slingshots!

Pretty sure if I search the internet I could find hearing protection for doggy's.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/20 08:50:31 (permalink)
    Ha Ha  told ya I could..........

'cept I showed em to LucyLu and she don't like the style!!!

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/20 08:52:22

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/20 09:10:12 (permalink)
    If one wants to read an interesting piece, check out the PGC press release on the youth wild pheasant hunt.

I’ll reserve commenting at this point.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/20 09:43:15 (permalink)
    What Dardy's said........

Yinz be the judge, click here    http://www.pgc.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx  

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/20 09:54:19

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/20 15:14:07 (permalink)
    Sorry guys, I read the article and now am taking the 5th!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/20 18:20:47 (permalink)
    When it comes to the PGC,  I need a 5th

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: PHEASANT STAMP 2017/11/20 18:25:36 (permalink)
    I'm not saying a thing either ......brings back some real old memories....We were all Jr. hunters also in the day....the five of us flushed at least 10 roosters our first outing and bagged none !...lol   They just haven't learned to lead shot yet.....it will come.

Most of us guys growing up hunting back then had no mentors either, we learned all on our own. Not a good thing as I look back now but, we all are still hunting.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: