Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2017/10/21 21:14:43 (permalink)

Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim

Got out on Arthur today.  Sort of.  Loaded up the boat and launched from McDaniels.  Planned a nice fall afternoon trip.  As I was connecting the motors, I had a slippery_potato moment with the tie rod and BLOOP!  Into the drink it went.  The water is just shy of 5' deep at the back of that launch.  Know how I know?  Because after my wife spent 10 minutes feeling around with her feet for that thing, I spent another 20.  Oh, and 70 degree water isn't at all pleasant.  Never did find it. 

Packed up and went back home.  How's that for failure?  I didn't have a spare with me, and I didn't have anything to redneck it into working.  Considered lighting up the 80, but that POS hasn't turned over since spring and didn't run good then, AND it would have been a nice fine even if I was idling from spot to spot.  If I can't find the rod I had made to hook up with the big motor tilted up, my boat is done for the season.  I'm pulling the big motor and giving it to a guy to refurb and sell, and I'm repowering in the spring with a turnkey 20hp.  Screw Erie and big engines, I'm over it.  

Fishing report... they were probably jumping in the boat.  But I wouldn't know unless I stepped on a perch by accident.  

19 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/21 21:41:30 (permalink)
    😬 uh, 😯 um, 😧 errr, πŸ˜– eh, 😨 WTH. I miss all the dam fun!!!

PS. Know anybody with a really strong magnet? Like one from a really big bass speaker. Or maybe SCUBA tank?
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/21 21:48:11

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/21 22:08:45 (permalink)
    Not all stainless is ferrous... but yeah I thought of that.  $10 bounty!!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/21 22:35:46 (permalink)
    If it is stainless than get one of them Hydro-megaphone thingy's and listen for the clickety clickety sounds when ya bump the stainless steel thingy with the bass speaker. Ummm, might want to get a wet suit to go with the SCUBA tank thingy though.

Anything else I can help ya with, just let me know. WHAT...? WAIT, forget that last part.

Good luck finding your thingy

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 06:56:42 (permalink)
    A garden rake (rock rake) may drag it up for you...
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 09:13:43 (permalink)
    I have a aqua vu camera that u can borrow to look around if you think the water would be clear enough to see.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 12:55:56 (permalink)
    Look for a ratchet jaw in the parking lot with a magnetic antenna. There's still some around. Look for people who say 10*4 a lot.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 13:29:43 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs
    Look for a ratchet jaw in the parking lot with a magnetic antenna. There's still some around. Look for people who say 10*4 a lot.

Magnetic base antennas are for the lite-weights us trucker buddies play with big boy toys.... "10-4".      lmao..... ouchdam!!! 

SEE

LIKE THIS!!!! smarty pants.   Kick-er-back goodbuddy.... 

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/22 13:31:17

Attachment(s)

EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 13:58:48 (permalink)
    In my 13 1/2 years of over-the-road truckin', I probably blew over a grand in CB antennas. I had single Hustlers', dual Hustlers', single Shakespears, single coil load shorties, and yes, even a pair of "beer cans". On my last new truck, ('84 Volvo White cabover), I went with twin Shakespears, and they did very well. But the ultimate antennas were the K-40s. Had a trunk mount on the wifes' Caprice, and did a through the roof mount on my Chevy van. Actually thinkin' about doin' a through the roof K-40 on my Ram. Bit of a pain gettin' the headliner down on a 4 door, but it ain't nothin' I haven't done before. K-40s are just awesome. But this ain't helpin' Zelie get his connector rod back. A few good deep breaths with a swim mask, then some nice warm clothes when ya come up with it. Walk 'er back! C'mon!
    post edited by EMitch - 2017/10/22 14:01:17

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 14:15:00 (permalink)
    To hell with that thingy Sam lost, let's rachet jaw bout them ears.  Center roof mount is bestest place ever to nix those dam "standin waves" and through the roof, is even more awesome.  Always feared installing that style mount myself, with my luck I'd end up installing a moon roof to cover up the botched roof mount.   When it came to the big truck, give me a pair of vice-grip mounts.  Never did like slip seating, but it was always bound to happen from time to time.  

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 14:38:41 (permalink)
    Good God what did I start? I'm never going to admit how much I spent! For some unknown reason my truck could smell out a radio shop.When running slip seat the old vice grips dually s worked fine.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 14:42:00 (permalink)
    I'll bring a bicycle pump and garden hose, Mitch you grab a 5 gallon bucket! Sooner or later we'll convince B.T to going for a swim.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 15:17:50 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs
    I'll bring a bicycle pump and garden hose, Mitch you grab a 5 gallon bucket! Sooner or later we'll convince B.T to going for a swim.

FRIENDS LIKE YOU WHO NEEDS ENEMIES?

And it ain't even my dam thingy....... 10-4 ????

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/22 15:21:44

Attachment(s)

PaYakr
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 16:22:56 (permalink)
    I actually just bought a strong magnet to try my hand at magnet fishing(250 lb pull).  Would have no problem giving it a try if you provided a sketch of general location, or if you just wanted to meet me some evening this week.  Will be working in the area most days this week til 5pm, other than Wednesday. 
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 18:39:25 (permalink)
    Don't know about the temp at Arthur, but the Allegheny river went from 69 degrees last Sunday to 61 degrees Saturday morning.

Jigs, I found out (in the swimmin' pool when I was stationed in GITMO in 71) that you can't breathe underwater through a garden hose. Seems when you get 2 or 3 feet under the surface, you can't expand your lungs enough to suck in air.

And BT, the antenna doesn't need to be dead center of the roof, but closest is best. That roof gives you that huge ground plane, and coupled with perfect SWR, (set easily on the Cobra 29 GTL), and the 50W linear amp., you can talk over the 4 wheeler ratchet jaws.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 19:31:57 (permalink)
    PaYakr... if you are up that way and bored, the launch I use is the farthest from the bathrooms.  If you are driving up to them, that's the one on the left.  It fell pretty much even with the back of the dock, half a boat over.  But heck if it is still right there.  I'd guess it went UNDER some weeds.  They are pretty thick there even in 5' of water.  

Good news is I found the other rod, and used it today.  Turns out my boat goes a bit faster without the big motor in the water.  Between .25 and .5 mph anyway.  Some nice panfish were biting, if you were patient enough and doing the right thing.  There is a crazy thick 4-5" class of perch in the shallows nailing anything that moved.  Had to sort them to get eating sized perch.  Plus a few nice crappies.  Not a great day for someone with a real lake to fish, but plenty of fun for my time.  

BTDT I'm not sure what kind of crazy trucker talk you hijacked my thread with... all I can say is "we got a little old convoy, rockin through the night!"

EMitch - top water temp was 68 and change at noon today.  
    post edited by ZelieSam - 2017/10/22 19:32:59
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/22 20:32:04 (permalink)
    Sam I didn't do it....... honest!! Jigs made me do it!

Emitch if you have CB db in your veins try this sight for some fun reading.
    http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj/editorial.htm

Sam honest πŸ˜–

Jigs I hope you're happy NOW!!!

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/23 06:26:55 (permalink)
    Who me? I didn't do it!
    PaYakr
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/27 20:06:18 (permalink)
    Had a chance to take the magnet out to McDaniels over my lunch break but sadly no tie rod.  Managed to pull out some rusty pliers and a few other pieces of scrap but you were not kidding about the weeds being thick.  Magnet got caught up with almost every throw.  Felt it grabbing metal a few times in a few places but anything larger than a set of pliers would have got caught up in weeds, making the ability to get it to the surface challenging to say the least.  One would think a magnet with 250 lbs pull force would actually lift up to 250 lbs, but I found physics does not work that way.  Magnet got covered in gravel as soon as it hit the bottom every time apparently from iron in the rock.  This is turn greatly reduced the pull strength.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Arthur - sometimes you fish, sometimes you swim 2017/10/28 00:21:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for trying!  Wade that sometime... the bottom is crazy.  
    Jump to: