Author
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
  • Reward points: 0
2017/10/04 16:43:18 (permalink)

salmon trip

Hey yinz,
I'm headed up to New York for the first time.  Ive done some research and my buddy has gone a few times.  But any tips or recommendations?  Not spots, just general info, thanks!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
crawlerman2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/04 16:48:50 (permalink)
egg patterns for browns, wholly buggers for kings.  Browns hit the wholly buggers too.  Go to colors for buggers are olive and gray.  I don't do well on bait there (Burt/Oak).  Most of the time the kings just swim into the fly and it goes in their mouth, but I have seen them strike them. 

PAJAY
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/04 18:38:45 (permalink)
Came back from Michigan couple weeks ago got all mine on hot & tots . couple on deep running  thunder sticks . 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/04 21:53:55 (permalink)
Welcome to the (NY)Salmon jungle , bring a club and a Pitbull Dog to find and hold a spot now days. You'll only be casting about 10 feet so whatever works here will work there. Most are lined anyway so bring your heavy gear to hold em !

Walnut's a play zone compared to that zoo......good luck...and enjoy the show ! Hope they got water up there. 
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/04 22:54:07 (permalink)
We will do our best to stay away from the combat fishing zones like Burt. But I'm sure crowds will be inevitable. Thanks!

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/04 23:07:43 (permalink)
crawlerman2
egg patterns for browns, wholly buggers for kings.  Browns hit the wholly buggers too.  Go to colors for buggers are olive and gray.  I don't do well on bait there (Burt/Oak).  Most of the time the kings just swim into the fly and it goes in their mouth, but I have seen them strike them. 

what he sez lol  its true  mudsharks lol   is what it is   personally  size does not matter to me id rather catch steel that actually hit 

I have become comfortably numb
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/04 23:08:45 (permalink)
We always did well casting glow in the dark Cleos or blue & silver. I always replaced the stock trebles with heavier single hooks to try to avoid snagging rocks or fish. Did not seem to miss many hits because of it. I seen Kings smash the trebles closed. good luck.  sam
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/05 08:32:27 (permalink)
Where you going?Salmon river is fishing good from what I can see online.
What Captain Hook said is about right...find good fast water with pockets that they stop in some will hit out of anger but mostly your flossing them.
It can be fun but crowded at times always some gud people watching...WCW
live2dive49
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/05 09:57:31 (permalink)
I have fished the Salmon River since mid '80's. Before the *&^$@*g DSR.  Watched the combat fishing with 1oz.water crickets and hard hats.  Drift buggers, sore butt and green butt skunks, and egg patterns to the Kings and Silvers found at the head of deeper pools.  Steelhead hit the same flies as in the Erie Tribs.  The key is to watch the successful anglers around you and copy their method.  Beware of lifting because that can cost you money.  I have found most anglers friendly and helpful there.
live2dive49
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/05 09:59:29 (permalink)
PS:
When wading DO NOT turn you back to the current and step only where you can see the bottom.  It is more of a river than any of Erie Tribs.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/05 11:14:46 (permalink)
I just spent 4 days on the SR and it is loaded with Kings and Cohos with a few Steel mixed in.I did well on small estaz egg flies.small dark nympths with a red hot spot,and chartreuse egg flies.They will HIT if you FISH for them.Use just enough weight to tick the bottom on the drift.Two #7's work in most places I fished.Of the 50+ fish I fought I only landed 6,I hope you have a 8 weight rod,and studded boots are a must.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/05 11:41:47 (permalink)
Single hooks only
Weight can't be more than 4 ft from the hook
I use egg sacks, they will bite...but the sacks will give you more hook ups on browns and steelies
The crowds are worse than the nut...all over this season
The fish are big, kings are averaging in the high 20's to low 30's this year
Have fun, enjoy the clowns

wishin i was fishin
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/05 14:11:55 (permalink)
I've been very tempted to make the dive up there as well next week. I'll be up Erie for 12 days.

Maybe I'll make the drive this year and see what its all about.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/05 14:49:25 (permalink)
I'll go along with the number hooked as to the number landed. You will loose about 75% of big Kings hooked. Heavier gear is almost a must especially in the crowded areas. We used spinning gear with 8-10lb.line and they will still break off or escape. Egg sacs are mostly the choice in creeks. Lake shore or creek mouth fishing, spoons and Fire Tiger colored stick baits will produce.
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/05 20:36:11 (permalink)
bigbear2012

The crowds are worse than the nut...

worse than Walnut access??

holy moly 
don't sound like fun to me 

..L.T.A.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/05 22:17:41 (permalink)
Night fishing off the Olcott piers for Kings was always crazy.....don't mind all that midnight smoke and garbage cans full of iced beer !
Smallsac
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/06 08:18:31 (permalink)
Fished Oswego last week.  Lots of hook ups, had to muscle them because of crowds.  Fish were busting 14lb line like it was two pound.  switched to 20lb braid, landed 5 before busted reel seat,  seen 5 rods shatter.
Expect shoulder to shoulder.... had one non English speaking fella, crawl in so close if I put my arm down I'd have had him in a headlock, guys so close their line gets wrapped around your rod eyes.  Dude was ripping a 2/0 hook with nothing on it, line looked like weed eater string.  Politely moved him an arms length away, shortly after heard him chattering excitedly, look over to see guys line wrapped around his rod and the hook buried in the back of his neck. 
If you fish Oswego, life jackets are required to avoid fine.  Ny is an experience that makes you appreciate winter fishing.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/06 12:00:23 (permalink)
Smallsac
Fished Oswego last week.  Lots of hook ups, had to muscle them because of crowds.  Fish were busting 14lb line like it was two pound.  switched to 20lb braid, landed 5 before busted reel seat,  seen 5 rods shatter.
Expect shoulder to shoulder.... had one non English speaking fella, crawl in so close if I put my arm down I'd have had him in a headlock, guys so close their line gets wrapped around your rod eyes.  Dude was ripping a 2/0 hook with nothing on it, line looked like weed eater string.  Politely moved him an arms length away, shortly after heard him chattering excitedly, look over to see guys line wrapped around his rod and the hook buried in the back of his neck. 
If you fish Oswego, life jackets are required to avoid fine.  Ny is an experience that makes you appreciate winter fishing.

I refer to Oswego as the "land of the MUNTANTS",I never want to see it again!
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/06 13:49:46 (permalink)
pafisher
Smallsac

I refer to Oswego as the "land of the MUNTANTS",I never want to see it again!

yeah very true      also the water is a chalky gray color sometimes   and tricky wading on the east bank i almost took a ride downstream that probably would drowned me or scared the hell out of me back a time ago

I have become comfortably numb
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2984
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/07 08:33:42 (permalink)
pafisher
I just spent 4 days on the SR and it is loaded with Kings and Cohos with a few Steel mixed in.I did well on small estaz egg flies.small dark nympths with a red hot spot,and chartreuse egg flies.They will HIT if you FISH for them.Use just enough weight to tick the bottom on the drift.Two #7's work in most places I fished.Of the 50+ fish I fought I only landed 6,I hope you have a 8 weight rod,and studded boots are a must.

This and get to your spot by 5AM

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/07 11:42:38 (permalink)
And remember that you can't fish (legally) until 1/2 hr before Sunrise, around 6:30 now! 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/08 11:00:49 (permalink)
Smallsac

LMAO.......
 That's the kind of old NY combat fishing shows I'm talking about ! ....lol
Guys fishing with cloths lines and short white Walmart rods snapping away !

I had a guy's line laying on my shoulder one season..... he was standing behind me ! After a few "kind words" from me (WTF dude !) he moved on. Nothing better than standing on the hill at Oak Orchard Dam and watching the Salmon fiasco years ago....or Burt Dam. 
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/09 12:11:04 (permalink)
Well yinz were right!  It was a circus!  Friday was not AS CROWDED at Oak Orchard.  Didn't want to go to the dam so I stayed downstream.  Some hookups but none landed.  Most of the kings I saw landed were older.  Some pretty brownies though!  Water was low and slow in some places, lots of algae and weeds. 
Saturday at the Genesse falls was insane.  It makes erie look like a cupcake.  I could feel my stress level rising!  Many snaggers, many idiots.  My buddy did well, I did not.  Some fresh steelies too.  Ive never seen so many fish jumping EVERYWHERE!  It drives you crazy! 
It was a learning experience fo sho.  If I ever go back I will be much better prepared. 

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/09 12:56:20 (permalink)
We got 2+" of rain this AM in Rochester.  Genny will blow out for three weeks or more after that!
  Stay in PA!
post edited by Lucky13 - 2017/10/09 12:58:06
Smallsac
Avid Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/11 12:26:49 (permalink)

Attached Image(s)

Smallsac
Avid Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/11 12:36:14 (permalink)
Fished Oswego yesterday with my neighbor.  Met three good guys from south of Harrisburg that fished aside of us all morning.  Had a blast and everyone caught fish.  It can actually be fun when everyone works together and doesn't screw the person aside of you.

Attached Image(s)

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/11 16:24:39 (permalink)
I agree ss.  However, for my trip I saw a LOT of: combat fishing, snagging, stealing someone's spot the SECOND they went downstream fighting a fish, slobs, extremely foul language over and over (not just a word or two here or there).  Just overall it wasn't my scene.  Had I caught some salmon it woulda made it better...but the skunk plus the environment = el stinko (literally too, the rotting salmon carcuses added an aroma of decay).  I did have fun with the guys I went with and we found some not so crowded spots eventually.  Learning experience fo sho.  I'll be better prepared next time.  Guys on this thread told me exactly what to expect but until I experienced it personally it didn't quite hit home. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/11 18:44:47 (permalink)
Never seen Oswego, wow is that shallow....looks busy like all the NY combat areas.
One thing for sure the fish are stacked on all the NY dam areas.
Smallsac
Avid Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/11 20:00:34 (permalink)
Not necessarily shallow as much as standing in right spot. The river bottom is very contoured if you don't know where your going you can go from shin deep to chest deep or more in one step.  It usually is a zoo, two weeks ago I seen so much litter; mostly beer bottles (even 1/2 a bottle of jagermeister), but power plant now has a "river monitor" that I believe cleaned most of it up that day.  But not sure if hes there everyday.  

Your right but had occasional days throughout the years were I could count number of guys at the dam on one hand.  Wall fishing appears to be locals only (some guy called me a d*ickhead when I took one cast in an open 18' section, trying out new rod.  Put hook back on the keeper n told him to have at it *sshole). Its definitely the worst you will see of "fishermen", however the river is a nice fishery just draws bad crowd.
post edited by Smallsac - 2017/10/11 20:02:04
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: salmon trip 2017/10/11 21:23:13 (permalink)
Smallsac
Not necessarily shallow as much as standing in right spot. The river bottom is very contoured if you don't know where your going you can go from shin deep to chest deep or more in one step.  It usually is a zoo, two weeks ago I seen so much litter; mostly beer bottles (even 1/2 a bottle of jagermeister), but power plant now has a "river monitor" that I believe cleaned most of it up that day.  But not sure if hes there everyday.  

Your right but had occasional days throughout the years were I could count number of guys at the dam on one hand.  Wall fishing appears to be locals only (some guy called me a d*ickhead when I took one cast in an open 18' section, trying out new rod.  Put hook back on the keeper n told him to have at it *sshole). Its definitely the worst you will see of "fishermen", however the river is a nice fishery just draws bad crowd.

No one should have to  hire  a "monitor" to clean up after "sportsmen," especially out of state "guests", who should be bending over backwards to avoid further loss of access , or raising of out of state license fees (DUH!).  So happy to hear you describe your clean up efforts (NOT)!  Locals pay all the taxes, perhaps you should ask if OK before just assuming it was an acceptable space.  Or just stay in PA,  go the Erie you got all the gud and many feesh anyway! Get yer guys to stock sammins so the West VA morons can go to yer state again.  And the Russians!  FOADIAF!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: