Fawns

Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
  • Reward points: 0
2017/08/09 10:45:57 (permalink)

Fawns

Typically we start to see does with fawns from mid June on. For the last two years (that is when we moved to this property) each doe had at least one fawn, most had twins, and some even had triplets (one had triplet buck two years in a row). Those numbers dropped as some got crushed on the roads, but by August, most still had fawns with them.

This year, however, that has not been the case. I have seen as many as 10 deer out at one time, none of which were fawns, but none if which had antlers or fawns with them. Last year's buttons should have antler growth of some kind, so these are does with no fawns. Most appear to be older than 1.5 years from their size and shape.

Lately, we have been seeing two does with single fawns each, a doe with twins, and one with triplets, but still the preponderance of does have no fawns with them. These observations are via watching with binoculars and several trail cameras.

We have some resident bucks on the property plus many more that visit during the rut have trail cam pics of 17 different bucks during the last 10 days of archery last year -- none of which are residents), so there are bucks about to breed.

Last winter was the mildest in memory. The neighbor's alfalfa didn't even die off. We have never seen a coyote, but did have two on trail cam in February. They were on camera twice, two nights apart and then never returned. We have never seems a bear (Gary Alt had to read a report to know bears are fawns) nor have any on camera.

I am stumped as to the reason for the lack of fawns. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas what is going on?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

7 Replies Related Threads

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Fawns 2017/08/09 17:46:32 (permalink)
    Same here Dardys. My son and I took a right before dark ride last night,cool weather we thought we see some bucks. Saw a small herd of 11 doe and fawns munching a field of soybean. There ways just 4 fawns and 7 adult doe,with the majority looking like 1.5 olds. There was one tank with no fawns.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Fawns 2017/08/09 22:10:59 (permalink)
    In my area of southeast Butler County, fawn numbers are pretty normal it seems.  Haven't noticed too many does without 'em in the last couple weeks.  

Don't have a trail cam up and haven't been doing any scouting.  Just observations from driving around and looking out my front windows in the fields across the road.  
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: Fawns 2017/08/11 11:02:47 (permalink)
    Yotes- of course- but there has been a significant increase of bobcats here in Ct as well.
    All bad news for fawn and turkey.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    Re: Fawns 2017/08/14 07:48:07 (permalink)
    With a lack of coyotes on camera (2 in 2.5 years during the winter), I think I found the cuprit over the weekend.

Last week we had a flock of turkeys show up. There was a gobbler, two hens, and 11 little ones. I found a kill site in a mown field. Some feathers, but no carcass. Hawks typically eat a bird that size right there. While we have had foxes in the past, we have not seen any since early last fall, in person or on camera.

This week, we are down to 5 little ones.

My wife happened to glance out the bathroom window on Saturday and there sat a mature bald eagle in the yard. We had seen it (or a different one) flying around for a month now. But this was the first time we saw it on the ground and within less than 50 yards.

Since we never saw any fawns until they were fairly big, I suspect that the eagle got a few of them within days of being born.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: Fawns 2017/08/14 09:28:39 (permalink)
    Redtails generally eliminate all chicks out back of my place each early Summer.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Fawns 2017/08/14 11:56:08 (permalink)
    They just moved to Washington county! Not a day goes by I don't see turkeys. Yesterday is a prime example. Two hens with close to two dozen young ones crossing the road when I came around a curve. Luckily I drive slow!
        See EHD post for fawn report! I posted wrong thread! Dam old age!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Fawns 2017/08/14 18:00:18 (permalink)
    Jigs it ain't old age, you're turning young again and just beginning to learn.

Don't tell anybody I said that. I don't want them thinking I'm really a nice guy. 😆

Oh hell I meant to say that in a PM...... Dam'd old age!
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/14 18:02:18

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Jump to: