Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2017/07/12 13:47:04 (permalink)

lake arthur surprise

two friends of mine took their boat to lake Arthur this week -end & had a phenominal day with a mixed bag of very nice cats,large mouths, & stripers which they threw all back. I don't usually throw out numbers & if I didn't know & fish with these guys I prob. would not have believed them.Although this was one of their better days,it was hard for me to believe that they could catch stripers in the low double figures, & all on bait during the day. I haven't fished there in years,but can see why it is addictive.  sam

51 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9694
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/12 14:37:22 (permalink)
    I thought that I hit the lottery a few years back too...  If you aren't planning to keep, you probably shouldn't be fishing for them in mid summer.  Crappy posted this (or similar study) a while back.

"In the fall and spring when water temperatures were cool, mortality of caught and released hybrids was very low (average 3.6%). However in summer, when water temperatures exceeded 79oF, the mortality rate increased to nearly 40%. Evidence was very strong in favor of water temperature being the only critical variable to explain the difference in mortality rates."

http://www.bigindianabass...e-mortality-study.html
    looch325
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 00:18:59 (permalink)
    so we all stay home all summer? fish for carp and 6 inch bluegill? Walleye, crappie, bass, and even muskie fishermen will all have to stay home. When the wipers decide to turn up and feed, they eat everything. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 07:44:46 (permalink)
    Catch two, throw in cooler. Or, kill fish for sport and be fine with it.
    GilliganJR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 11:28:51 (permalink)
    they're stocked anyhow.  who cares?  
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 11:40:39 (permalink)
    Turtles gotta eat too!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 12:38:02 (permalink)
    Well don't it just figure, the very people responsible for maintaining and protecting a great and wonderful Penn's Woods heritage, stocks a non-native species of fish that cannot withstand threat of shock and death, from a drastically changing environment.

WHAT!!! Wait, we're not talking about trout....? Silly me.😒

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 14:30:53 (permalink)
    Always find it a bit amusing that no ever gets in an uproar over killing every 15" Walleye or 9" Crappie and also perch and bluegills. But if its a fish outside of these four, there will be hell to pay

GilliganJR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 14:57:26 (permalink)
    ^get this man a beer^  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 15:16:19 (permalink)
    I've had plenty of days on Arthur where I caught 20+ wipers.  During the day, on bait.  Which isn't shocking, since I really only use bait.  But those wipers were all 8-10" and super annoying, and I moved to avoid them once they started eating.  Even worse I've had angry packs of those little turds swarm the back of the boat while my buddy in the front pulls in crappie and perch.  

I also caught my largest wiper on bait on a warm summer day in shallow water under a full_hot_sun.  Pretty sure his heart burst just about the time we netted him, which was fine with me since he was headed for an icy death_bath anyway.  

Multiple catfish days?  Easy peasy.  Multiple keeper sized wiper days?  That's one for the books.  Can't say I've kept a two man limit yet on all my time at Arthur.  Of anything actually, since catfish are part of the 50 panfish bag.  I've decided that a half dozen decent channels are a limit, based on how much I want to fillet.  

I don't care if people kill em if they're going to grill em, and I'm confident Pork doesn't either.  But summer CnR fishing for wipers isn't CnR, and should be avoided when possible.  I could see a situation where you kept hooking up even when you didn't want to though... stuff happens.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 15:19:55 (permalink)
    psu_fishAlways find it a bit amusing that no ever gets in an uproar over killing every 15" Walleye or 9" Crappie and also perch and bluegills. But if its a fish outside of these four, there will be hell to pay

LMB and SMB are both sunfish.  That whole "largemouth don't taste good" nonsense is spread by BASS guys.  As good as a crappie?  No.  Tastes good fried up?  Yep.  Get thrown in the cooler when they kill my bait?  YUP! 
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 17:43:21 (permalink)
    Keep what you want,but please use it or give to someone that will. I target  4 species to eat,many for sport. I'll keep eyes,jumbo perch,bull gills and ice or early ice out crappie. Everything else swims again. If something is going to die,that's another story. Bass,wipers,musky, cats are all released. I will keep large northern through the ice.  I've got a years worth of jumbo perch to eat. They should be gone by ice season. Then my season starts again.lol
    looch325
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/13 21:20:45 (permalink)
    fish the rivers if you want to catch a mess of eater size wipers, find the emerald shiners or shad close to the dams, you found the wipers. I'm assuming that study was done on lakes in Indiana, I've never seen a dead hybrid on the rivers, but moving water stays cooler. Even when that virus was going around back in 2002(?) I dont remember seeing any dead hybrids

The little hybrids can be a pain in the neck if you really want to get a couple nice walleye to take home or just want to target smallmouth or largemouth, the hybrids are ferocious eaters, and if they are hitting, everyone will be catching them if they want to or not.

I rarely eat fish that I catch myself but I do bring a few walleyes, gills and crappie home for friends, family, and neighbors that request them. I keep 6-9 small gills in my freezer if my friend calls and says lets go flathead fishing. He usually supplies the live gills. Even when I go to Olcott(salmon, brown trout) or Manitoba(walleye, pike) with my brother I no longer bring much home. The fun we have is worth the cash we pay the guide/charter. I use to bring all the filets home, even bought a chest freezer to put them in. 6 months later I end up throwing a bunch of freezer burnt fish away. 
    post edited by looch325 - 2017/07/13 21:24:13
    crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/14 09:33:24 (permalink)
    As long as you get all of the red meat off of the fillet stripers are excellent.  Chunk them up and fry with beer batter.  They don't seem to freeze all that well and you have to fillet them right away.  If they sit too long or if you leave red meat on the fillet they taste like garbage.  I would rather eat a fresh fried striper than a frozen walleye.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/14 11:54:54 (permalink)
    Not sure what rivers you are catching a bunch of striper to eat from, but I'm not looking for "Allegheny tumors" from my dinner if I can avoid it.  Gotta be north of what, Lock 4 to be PCB free?  And I know that Erie also has advisories but I don't fish there often enough to care.  

As for freezer burn, I'm not sure how anyone lives without a vacuum sealer.  I've regularly kept fish good for 2 years using freezer bags and a sealer.  Kind of have to have one when you catch 100+ pounds of mahi at one go.  I challenge anyone to tell me what fish is old vs new out of my freezer.  High quality cheap tech that all fishermen should own.  

Just to avoid someone telling me that fresh is better than frozen... yes.  Fresh is clearly better than frozen.  But frozen right is the next best thing.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/14 13:31:36 (permalink)
    Excellent advice Sam and for those not owning a vacuum seal, add enough water in your freezer container to cover the fillet(s).

If using freezer bags, squeeze until water comes out before zipping closed.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/14 18:39:26 (permalink)
    My response this morning didn't seem to take. On the road for work, with fishing rod... Just need these showers to pass, and try my luck on some flounder at the jetty of a well known NJ inlet.
    Like usual, my man Sam (Zeli) is correct. I'll eat the heck out of fish, and have no issues with guys keeping a limit to eat. I am not trying to be a butthole to Mr Crappie Sam. Just trying to be informative. I found that same summer time pattern a few years back, but Crappy Chris rained on my parade with the same study. I was mostly C&R with wipers then, as I was fishing just about every other week for them then.
    I keep 2-3 wipers every year. I do like to return a fair share, as they are just a blast to catch and if knowing I am not going to be home until 4am and not cleaning, likely sitting on ice for 15 hours before I can clean. Just about any walleye over 15" and any crappie or perch 9" or over, often some 8"era too. I have nothing against keeping fish.
    If someone knows a fish is going to die if released, and keeps doing it, then I have issues.
    Regardless if wiper, bowfin, carp, etc. maybe I am a hypocrite for killing fathead minnows and alewives for bait, but I do it to catch fish, that a fair majority I eat. Those minnows are usually eaten. A dead rotting wiper is just feeding bacteria and possibly a raccoon.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/14 20:30:05 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Excellent advice Sam and for those not owning a vacuum seal, add enough water in your freezer container to cover the fillet(s).

If using freezer bags, squeeze until water comes out before zipping closed.

That works well too
    I put Walleye fillets in freezer bags filled with water and add a squirt of lemon juice. When they thaw out at a later date your in business.

If your storing fish over six months you need to have more fish fry's or make more friends !  

I release all Stripers and I've tossed back plenty of hogs up to 14lbs.......just too good of fighters to kill....... let someone else have fun !
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/14 22:26:54 (permalink)
    Never gave lemon juice a thought with freezing fish. Do the lemon juice with fresh cut taters be they fries or otherwise. Gonna try the fish thingy though.

I'm still looking for my first legal 'stripper' (😊) to smather with Mayo and toss on the barb-B-Q. Being an Ole Baltimore boy, gonna serve it up with a mess of stewed maters and some slaw.

Not shur if eaten wiper is gooder than Rockfish but I'm aimin' to find out...... if I can catch one of them stupid fish.

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/14 23:45:48 (permalink)
    Wiper IS rockfish, give or take.  Think of it as striper_lite.  Properly prepped it is excellent.  Only edge I'd give to real striper would be the larger flake of the flesh.  And lets be honest... if flake size is your jam you are eating cod anyway.  It was a real shame to cut that 27" striper loose the wife caught in Delaware.  I could picture the tasty sammiches swimming away.  :(  

Should be mentioned that white bass is NOT ANYTHING LIKE STRIPER!  Not exactly sure why.  But white bass has to be some of the worst fillets I've ever caught and prepped.  I've had them from a couple different lakes (Erie, pymie, Shenango) and have always been disappointed.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/15 06:47:39 (permalink)
    I suppose it all depends on which side of the table one sits on but a "wiper" on my side of the table is a "hybrid striper" also referred to a "White Rockfish" having been cross bred with a true Striped Bass and a White Bass. These fish, are likely the fish stocked in land locked fresh water supplies. Whereas, the true Striped Bass or "Rockfish" spends it's adult life in salt water. (with exception of breeding)

But again, this is just how my side of the table see it and regardless, I've yet to catch one of the stupid fish.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/07/15 06:49:23

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/17 11:06:52 (permalink)
    There are purebred stripers (rockfish) in many land locked lakes.  Raystown and Wallenwaupak (sp) have them in PA.  A bunch of lakes down south and west of us have them too.  They don't do purebreds on this side of the state, mostly for better returns on the hybrids and can tolerate the temps of our, not as deep lakes.  At least, that is what I have read.  They also claim some sort of messing with the natural reproduction and not found in the Gulf of Mexico, but there are plenty of rivers and lakes down stream of us, that have them.  "Land Between the Lakes", has some hogs, that have much easier access to the Mississippi River.  They also use them on our side of the state as a means for controlling the shad populations, as the hybrids are fast growing and eating machines.  Which, I would imagine is why Arthur and Shenango, are not walleye destination type lakes.  The walleye fry stocked are likely like an appetizer for the wipers and cats, that seem to love alewives. 
    Check out the hybrid striped bass as a food source as well.  It is one of the largest farmed fish in the US.  I have read that a large portion of "rockfish" served on menus, are hybrids, since commercial fishing of purebreds is very controlled and limited supply.  Just like anything, there are some great chefs out there, that can turn just about anything into a delicious meal.
    I had a nice purebred up to my knees in the surf this weekend next to the Cape May inlet North jetty.  Probably in the 30" range.  Landed the old skunko though.  Only got to fish one morning for about 3 hours and only took a vest size tackle box with me.  More just testing the action of some lures that I made for NC.    
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/17 11:22:34 (permalink)
    Good read Pork and congrats on your catch. May have been only one but that's better than none.

You mention The striped bass (Morone saxatilis), also called Atlantic striped bass, striper, rock, or rockfish, (an anadromous Perciforme fish of the Moronidae family) found primarily along the Atlantic coast of North America and it has also been widely introduced into inland recreational fisheries across the United States.

You also noted there is no Striper in the Gulf of Mexico. For your reference; Striped bass found in the Gulf of Mexico are a separate strain referred to as Gulf Coast striped bass.

A population naturally exists along the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico from the Suwannee River in Florida west to Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana.

Note: All Striper info provided (somewhere) by the internet.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/07/17 11:33:43

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/17 14:50:17 (permalink)
    No catch this past weekend for me.  Landed the old skunko (got skunked)...  It was fun though.  Had one up to my side.  My lures looked like they will work if a school of bay anchovies or spearing are around, and something feeding on them.  I can't say that I was expecting much from reports that I had read.  Maybe get lucky with a flounder.  Wish that I had more gear.  Something came out of the rocks at the jetty with a blue crab in its mouth.  I'm guessing a tautog or sheepshead.  Was fun doing some body boarding with the kids though.

I'm going off of memory of why they claim no purebreds on the western half of PA.  It is on the interweb somewhere.  Where I had read about it in the past.  Maybe it is due to possible messing with that Gulf of Mexico strain?  Regardless, it doesn't sound like Tennessee or Kentucky are very worried, and half of the distance from us to the Gulf.  Technically, I am sure it is not half...  PA doesn't think we should have the purebred on this side for some reason.  I'm betting cost on return is the top factor, which I can't blame them.  It would be nice.  The wiper fisheries they have at Shenango, Arthur and the rivers is pretty fun though.  Getting into some 50lb hogs would be fun though.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/17 16:26:11 (permalink)
    I'm guessing water quality. Water temps below 77 degrees is reported to be more desirable. Deeper lakes would provide cooler environments but than there is, that oxygen thingy.

I know I read somewhere, aquatic vegetation does cool the water and provides oxygen while growing in depths of 10+ feet.

What..... wait, aquatic vegetation?

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/17 17:25:51 (permalink)
    I'm sure the size of both Shenango and Arthur plays a factor too.  How many 30lb-50lb fish could each of those lakes really hold?  I'd bet most would end up stunting at a lower size.  At that point, why not just go with the hybrids?  The fish in both lakes are fun sizes.

I agree with Cpt.  They are too fun to keep everyone that I catch.  Since I am unable to catch walleye like he can, I am forced to keep a few...
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/17 20:22:25 (permalink)
    Very true Porktown, and even though a hybrid, I look forward to the day I may practice the Capts advice.

No not that C & R thingy, the other advice, the one that sez; when ya set the hook "hang on"!!

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/17 20:30:54 (permalink)
    I use to catch Walleye Pork !....lol     This was a tough year !

I believe years back they did put some pure strain Stripers in Shenango. I remember a guy caught one way up river in Jamestown in the low 20 lb. range in the 70's I believe. I don't know how many were stocked but a few did make it. Don't think there was much effort or study done.

The local stocked hybrids took off and continue to thrive to excellent growth sizes. No doubt a great decision of choice for Shenango. With the deeper water and the plentiful Shad bait the Hybrid Stripers have faired extremely well over the years. I'd like to see the stocking numbers go up higher on these into the future. I think Shenango has the potential to be the best Hybrid Striper lake in all of Pa. or maybe the North East area. Hybrid Stripers have been caught steady in the 15-18 lb. range !

It's a shame the Fish Commission doesn't recognize them in their own category instead of all Inland Lake Stripers.....they are not the same fish !  I don't understand that ! 
    Shenango would have record fish every year in that hybrid species. Hard to compete with Raystown's 50 lb. Inland Stripers . Makes no sense ....it would be the same as putting all Catfish under one species.         
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/17 20:41:19 (permalink)
    Capt. it ain't over till the plump lady sings. (or 2018 gets here, (or which ever occurs first))

Still plenty of time this year.

Go git em!!!
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/07/17 20:42:40

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    Re: lake arthur surprise 2017/07/18 07:28:17 (permalink)
    A good number of the stripers stocked in Raystown, after the initial decade or so, were stocked by the Raystown Striper Club. The PFBC still stocked fish, but the club really supplemented them.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: