Trolling motor fit on BassTracker Crappie 16

Author
BQIK
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
2017/07/05 21:47:34 (permalink)

Trolling motor fit on BassTracker Crappie 16

Just bought a '93 Bass Tracker Crappie 16 and want to swap out 30#Motor Guide for a Minn Kota Maxxum 65#.  Will it make a good fit?  Too old and numb to crawl up on the bass boat platform anymore, but hate to give up the power and the weed cutting. The MG cable is 4' and the Maxuum lists as 5'.  The MG is stretched tight as possible and I can't move the pedal an inch further.  Hoping the Maxuum solves this.  Thanks.

3 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Trolling motor fit on BassTracker Crappie 16 2017/07/05 23:31:45 (permalink)
    I don't think you will be disappointed with the Maxxum handling any weeds.

I am curious why the Maxxum, if you are looking to operate your electric motor from other than the bow of your boat?

Have you considered the PowerDrive? I have a 2003 PowerDrive 55 with enough cable to operate a 17.5 Creastliner from the back fishing deck. Which, out of curiosity, makes me wonder why you prefer a 65 pound thrust for a 16' bass style fishing boat?

Also, if I might ask, does your boat use the "joy stick" style of steering? A friend of mine had one back in
    the 90s and it was a really neat boat that had absolutely no problem getting around with a 10 horse pushing it.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/07/05 23:33:12

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Trolling motor fit on BassTracker Crappie 16 2017/07/06 09:34:02 (permalink)
    You can't beat the minnkota Ipilot, I will never have a boat without one.  The spot lock alone makes it worth it, you hit the anchor button and it holds you on your spot.  You can set the autopilot to troll a line on the shore at a set speed and not worry about touching it.  If you have a humminbird you can get the link and it will hold you a distance from the shoreline or follow a contour line.  It's almost like cheating.  The power drive version only has the hand held remote, but the Terrova has foot control and hand held.  The terrova is also easier to deploy.  Expensive, but for me it was money well spent.  I bought a factory refurbished PD Ipilot 70# about 4 years ago on Ebay for $900 and haven't had a problem since. 
    BQIK
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: Trolling motor fit on BassTracker Crappie 16 2017/07/07 06:40:33 (permalink)
    Stick steer is a blast.  Big waves are a real wash, literally!  Worth it.  
    I have a brand new Maxuum left over from my old boat.  My main concern, while sitting in my raised front seat, is the fit with the Maxuum. Trying to make due without anymore cash outlay and want to know if the base of the motor and the cable from pedal to motor head will work while sitting up there with it.
    I appreciate the help.

Jump to: