First time fishing yellow creek lake-need help

Author
Fishing in northeasternMd
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
2017/06/25 19:27:52 (permalink)

First time fishing yellow creek lake-need help

In early fall me and a few other members of my family are going to yellow creek lake.We reserved a cottage in sept.We will be mainly bass fishing but might try other species.I was wondering if someone that has fished here before could tell me what to throw for largies and smallies here in late sept.ps-we will be shore fishing and fishing from a canoe.thx.Tight Lines

8 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9694
    Re: First time fishing yellow creek lake-need help 2017/06/26 10:19:19 (permalink)
    I haven't fished there in while.  When I went to school in the area, we fished it a good bit.  The outsides of the lily pads were always good for large mouth and pike.  We did well with spinner baits and live shiners.  We did much better when the lake cooled down a bit, maybe mid-October through November and again in the Spring.  There are also a good bit of perch in the lake, if just looking for something to bite (and fry at the cottage).  I'm not sure where your cottage is located, but where the creek enters the lake, also holds some fish.  There is a campground there, where you guys might be staying?  There is trout in this creek (you will need a trout stamp to fish the creek itself).  Below the dam also holds some fish too (also trout stamp).  Although, there is a private trout club below the dam, that restricts access not far from the spillway, for a good stretch.  You can get a one day pass there ($50), which is steep, but there are monster trout in there and might be worth it to you.  Pretty sure they stock in September.  I imagine the state stocks other streams around then too?  It's a nice lake, you will have fun.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9694
    Re: First time fishing yellow creek lake-need help 2017/06/26 10:19:19 (permalink)
    post edited by Porktown - 2017/06/26 12:01:38
    Trapsh00ter25
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: First time fishing yellow creek lake-need help 2017/06/26 11:53:51 (permalink)
    This is only about 15 minutes from me. McFeathers cove along the north shore is always a good bet, many panfish and bass to be had. It's accessed from South Harmony Rd off of 422 and is well marked with signs for the scout camp close by, it's not far from the campground. You can also launch out of the cove as well.
    New Angler
    Re: First time fishing yellow creek lake-need help 2017/06/26 12:02:51 (permalink)
    We will be staying in one of the states cottages next to mcfeaters cove, we probably won't fish below the dam since we're out of state and I know my father probably isn't going to get a trout stamp.Is fishing from the shore and small docks good?or is it difficult to get fish to bite.I was thinking when we go in sept. the bass will be fired up, eating and preparing for the fall turnover.I was thinking I would throw square bills, rattle traps, jigs and a few other fall baits.I don't know if they will get bit a ton, but I'm guessing I will catch something the three days we will be here.Thank you.Tight lines
    New Angler
    Re: First time fishing yellow creek lake-need help 2017/06/26 12:06:48 (permalink)
    What baits would you recommend for a late sept. bass bite?
    Trapsh00ter25
    New Angler
    Re: First time fishing yellow creek lake-need help 2017/06/26 12:13:17 (permalink)
    Depending on the season the docks are good, I've caught pike from the rental launch in the fall using frozen shiners. The shore can be hit or miss but usually produces. My brother has caught decent bass close to the dam in the fall from the shore but I'm not 100% sure where he accesses it at. Honestly I wouldn't waste my time on the trout side of things as the streams around there don't get any fall stockings and they get hammered through the year as we don't have many stocked streams in Indiana County.
    Trapsh00ter25
    New Angler
    Re: First time fishing yellow creek lake-need help 2017/06/26 12:16:05 (permalink)
    As for your baits my brother does well out there on minnows and rooster tails of all things in the fall. He also uses a lot of soft plastics. I can't speak for myself as my attention is usually turned to steelhead by then
    New Angler
    Re: First time fishing yellow creek lake-need help 2017/06/26 12:19:08 (permalink)
    Thank you
    Jump to: