Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
solitario lupo
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
  • Reward points: 0
2017/01/23 13:53:54 (permalink)

Winter ticks

Went for a walk yesterday in the woods to check out some of my favorite holes. Had my pup with me and when I got home found seven on her. Thought they were supposed to be dead by now or whatever they do during the winter but they were out in numbers. If they're bad now what till summer.

42 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/23 14:06:42 (permalink)
    They become active above 40 degrees.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/23 14:26:26 (permalink)
    So these mild winters aren't helping. Been finding more and more. Each year.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/24 16:19:30 (permalink)

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/24 18:32:18 (permalink)
    The picture above is a definite! Only way to improve is buy the one you mix yourself,. Cheaper and you can soak your clothes for 100% coverage.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/25 08:50:54 (permalink)
    Ah Ixodes scapularis the Deer Tick as Darby's says they become active above 40 deg. However they are active even on days hovering around freezing. They do not like the hot dry days of summer, however they can still show up then.  You need to protect you and your dog. As mentioned Permethrin treatment of outdoor clothing is your best defense. I wear chaps treated twice a year with it and also have an overshirt that I treat.Talk to your vet about your pooch as they need protection. The deer Tick is known to carry 26 different diseases, not just Lyme Disease. Scientists claim to be able to genetically modify species so that they can make them extinct. Some are against any GMO tampering. I feel I am already eating GMO cornflakes get rid of the ticks. And a couple subspecies of mosquitoes.
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/26 16:44:45 (permalink)
    The only trouble with permethrin is you have to treat your clothing and let hang for two hours before wearing.  Then you would have to hang up when you are down so you can wear them on your next hunting or fishing trip because a 12 oz bottle will only treat 2 outfits.   How do you use this product?

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/26 17:15:18 (permalink)
    The stuff I buy at that farm supply is a lot bigger than 12oz. I mix several batches soak my hammock , backpack and clothes. Sure you have to hang stuff up till it dries but after that it gets treated like everything else and it's good for several washing or heavy rains. Those spray bottles cost to much and personally I don't trust the coverage.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/26 18:32:45 (permalink)
    Panfisher
    The only trouble with permethrin is you have to treat your clothing and let hang for two hours before wearing.  Then you would have to hang up when you are down so you can wear them on your next hunting or fishing trip because a 12 oz bottle will only treat 2 outfits.   How do you use this product?

That's my thing if it gets on you what kind of reaction can you have. It was my favorite honey hole with fish always loaded, now with the mild winter and all those ticks. Don't know if I'll be back there.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/26 19:48:00 (permalink)
    Ticks! Summer winter spring fall. I don't like them, period... I use a homemade solution to try and keep them off me. 

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/26 22:51:03 (permalink)
    I treat my chaps in early fall and never wash them they still repel ticks after how many months. I will treat them again in March. I treat my over clothes and not the clothing directly in contact with my skin. I do not like having to use this stuff but I do not want to give up the outdoors. What a shame we have to live with these disgusting things. 
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/27 19:46:45 (permalink)
    Ticks are a year long problem now in this area. These warm winter days are the worst, the ticks come out like crazy trying to latch onto anything they can before the next cold snap.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/30 09:15:24 (permalink)
    solitario lupo
    Panfisher

That's my thing if it gets on you what kind of reaction can you have. It was my favorite honey hole with fish always loaded, now with the mild winter and all those ticks. Don't know if I'll be back there.

Been discussed on here before:  shouldn't get too worried about it touching your skin.
    Saywers is only 0.5% concentration.  Per the link below, topical creams to treat scabies and the like, approved for children 2 months of age and older, have a 5% concentration. 
    https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/health_professionals/meds.html

Now, I wouldn't be spraying down my skin like it was "off/deet" but, I have touched up my clothes before going in if it hasn't been awhile since I treated them and I don't worry about it drying fully.  Biggest concern for me for getting it dry is when I am archery hunting, as it still has an odor when wet.  I admit, I get a mild bit of enjoyment watching a tick crawl up my pant leg, make it about 6-8" and then fall off dead.

The 30+ oz (not sure on exact size) spray bottle of sawyers last me about a season to season and a half, treating my outer layers, gloves, hats, harness and fanny pack.  First application on my main outer layers is pretty heavy, to where they are wet and I let them hang and dry.  Through the season, I'll just hang them outside my garage real quick and spray they down quickly, esp. the pants, throw them in the back of my truck (have a cap) with the side windows open and put them on when I get to my hunting location.  easy peazy 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9697
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/30 10:27:29 (permalink)
    Those Frontline Nex Gard chewables for dogs seem to work for mine.  I'm not so sure about long term health affects.  Same with those topical lotions that get all over the house, and kids hands that end up in their mouths.

I'd be all for the scientists genetically destroying those things.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/30 16:27:28 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Those Frontline Nex Gard chewables for dogs seem to work for mine.  I'm not so sure about long term health affects.  Same with those topical lotions that get all over the house, and kids hands that end up in their mouths. I'd be all for the scientists genetically destroying those things.

Mess the ecosystem up is a solution

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/30 20:45:20 (permalink)
    PetArmor Plus is my choice, just a couple drops between my shoulders and I'm good for 30 days.

Moutain Man messing with the ecosystem is OK, if it meets the agenda of certain people.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/01/30 21:41:29 (permalink)
    Mountian Man
    Mess the ecosystem up is a solution

PFBC has been doing it for our enjoyment for years, stocking the fish they do...

Eliminating them is probably a bad idea as noted.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/21 18:58:53 (permalink)
    Past three days I been cutting firewood, moving deer-stands and just down right enjoying the outdoors.  Aaaaaaand this morning I noticed a strange new mole protruding from mid torso.  Strange as in, the new mole had legs and they would move, when I touched the thing.

I have enjoyed the great Pennsylvania Wilds since I was old enough to hold my own fishing pole and I have never encountered an experience such as this. 

Not a big deal, having read similar stories by others, so after texting vids to all my relatives and others, I wished to gross out, I continued pulling straight out with a pair of tweezers until the little b@st@rd finally let go.  Checking carefully to assure the head was still in tact and not still boring into my skin, I placed the little pryk in a baggy where it now sleeps in a freezer until such time I'm sure of no i'll effects.  Once assured, I shall remove the tiny creature from the baggy, wrapping it in a tissue and, setting it ablaze.

Not that I am morbid, just in retaliation over the continuous stinging sensation that lasted a couple hours immediately following the extrication of that SOB. 

WELP....... I am now a bonifide member of the "Outdoors-man TicK Club" so I now can say........ BeenThereDoneThat.

Me get  bit by a tick after allllllll  these years?  Who would of thunk????  Stupid tick!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/21 22:51:35 (permalink)
    We need a nice hard freeze this winter to knock them back a bit. Same thing with the shad in the lakes and sure a few other things that nature usually takes care of. Not that I am a fan of a long freeze, but can hopefully help some things out. Hope no ill effects during Christmas and New Years. Don't leave it alone if you see that bullseye or anything strange. Can turn into nasty stuff if left untreated for too long. One of my good buddies spend half of his family beach vacation in the hospital and found out it was Lymes... I guess better than the heart attack he thought he was having. Crazy little creatures. I'd like to modify my statement from last year. I stand by scientists eliminating whatever ticks carry Lymes or that Rocky Mountain fever. The other ones are creepy and stink pulling them off.
    olds-Pa
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/22 11:10:16 (permalink)
    Here is an easy way to safely remove a tick. Our cat had one on him. No tool to remove it, and didn't want a vet bill, so when we saw this video on youtube and tried it, it worked just like shown.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bYsyRy4888
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/22 11:32:39 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.

WELP....... I am now a bonifide member of the "Outdoors-man TicK Club" so I now can say........ BeenThereDoneThat.

Me get  bit by a tick after allllllll  these years?  Who would of thunk????  Stupid tick!!

Welcome to the club.  Had plenty of them little buggers embedded in me.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/22 11:53:10 (permalink)
    OLDS-PA thanks very much for taking the time to post the tick removal link. I watched a second one produced by a university and was pleasantly surprised learn of a "tick spoon". removal device. I'll be looking for one of those.

With five cats, two dogs and now the dang things chewing on me it was good to learn what's available.

We do treat the animals but ya just never know what will get dragged in.

Porktown appreciate the headsup on the Lyme's disease. The little critter sleeps in the freezer as we await any side affects. Other than the ones that already exist, that is.😳

Pafisher, thanks for the welcome mat.🍻
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/12/22 11:58:50

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/22 23:53:45 (permalink)
    BTDT my Doc has sometimes given me a precautionary dose of Doxycyclene (antibiotic) when I have one of them pryks embedded in me, and I'm not sure how long it's been there. I'd have to refresh my memory but I think the conventional wisdom is that they need to be embedded 24-36 hours to transmit Lyme disease.

If ya think it may have been attached longer you might wanna check with your PCP, even without the rash.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/23 01:17:23 (permalink)
    Much more chance after they detach, which is usually the time R2 noted. Although not always the case. Unfortunately Arthur/Moraine is loaded with these freeloaders.

Be careful with that bottle of antibiotics. Make sure you use the full dose or could end up wit a morphed bacteria that has built up an immunity to the antibiotic. Crazy how biology works. It's not like taking half of an aspirin when you don't need a whole.
    graveydavey
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/23 09:30:23 (permalink)
    olds-Pa
    Here is an easy way to safely remove a tick. Our cat had one on him. No tool to remove it, and didn't want a vet bill, so when we saw this video on youtube and tried it, it worked just like shown.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bYsyRy4888

I have been using this technique for years, works very well.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/23 09:55:02 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Unfortunately Arthur/Moraine is loaded with these freeloaders.

Pretty much all of Butler County
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/23 11:03:29 (permalink)
    We hunt Crawford County and the ticks were on our clothing this rifle season....buddies up Tionesta said it was loaded with ticks also. Friend of mine was having blurred vision for awhile went to the doctor, turned out to be Lyme disease !
    Pro Angler
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/23 12:00:51 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Friend of mine was having blurred vision for awhile went to the doctor, turned out to be Lyme disease !

I know several different folks who have had Lyme that have had all kinds of weird symptoms. Some not for a couple years. Some who get the typical flu like symptoms too.

It seems that the traditional/mainstream medical community isn't really on top of all the different ways that this impacts people and how prevalent it is in Western PA. Must not be any money to be made from ordering blood tests and writing scripts for Doxycyclene.

I know a couple of guys who have had pretty significant long-term problems and had to go to lots of different docs to find answers before they were diagnosed, including one buddy who had stroke like symtptoms with partial paralysis of his face.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/23 13:07:38 (permalink)
    Don't go under bushes go around them and avoid tall grass areas. I've been using mint oils around my head, neck, and chest area. Then been spraying my legs and pants with off. I had 8 on me at one time and that did it now when I know I'm goin in tick country I load myself up with that.
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Winter ticks 2017/12/23 13:21:37 (permalink)
    It's really strange. All the years I hunted, from '62 when I turned 12, to '95, when I gave it up, I never once found a tick on me or the beagles. But ticks were making news just before I quit hunting. Now the ****ed things are everywhere; had one blown on me out of a pine tree when mowing the grass. Friggin' cat has come in with two of them stickin' out of his chin, but I will say that the treatment for dogs and cats works and kills them quickly. I've never found a flea or a tick on either of the Great Danes. With these treatments available now, there's absolutely no reason for your pet animals to have fleas or ticks.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: