Spoons for fishing ?

Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/19 16:07:55 (permalink)

Spoons for fishing ?

I've never tossed a lot of spoons steady enough to really want to use them much. I have caught a few fish on them but I don't see many people using spoons hardly at all except the shores of Erie for Trout. That's where I've tossed them years ago. I'm thinking about tossing spoons for awhile for old time sakes.
Spoons were a big item to fishing in the 50's and 60's ( my Dad's days ) but seemed to have faded since .

Just wondering what input and recommendations some spoon fishing guys recommend for shore casting. Bass , Walleye are the targets locally. Colors , sizes, just any ideas on what's worked.

I've got Cleos, and KO's but older colors. My one friend swears by small spoons for local Walleye. 

7 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Spoons for fishing ? 2016/10/19 18:18:59 (permalink)
    Can not let this thread get by Capt. without mentioning the Johnson Weedless spoon tipped with Uncle Joshes Pork Frog. Swim it at various depths, over; through; under weeds and jig vertical or on a retrieve.

If I could only pick one fishing lure it would be the spoon be it for casting, jigging, or trolling.

I'd still need to go to Carini's on Fridays for my fish dinnear but I know I could still rely on using a spoon. 😝

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

opsman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re: Spoons for fishing ? 2016/10/19 18:38:16 (permalink)
    ^^^What he said!  I can remember drifting the north end with that exact setup!   I can also remember taking the rig off and tossing it in my tackle box only to find it a few days later!   **** was that Pork Frog hard to cut off that hook once it mummified!  lol

"Fair winds and following seas..."
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Spoons for fishing ? 2016/10/19 22:29:19 (permalink)
    opsman
    ^^^What he said!  I can remember drifting the north end with that exact setup!   I can also remember taking the rig off and tossing it in my tackle box only to find it a few days later!   **** was that Pork Frog hard to cut off that hook once it mummified!  lol

Ha ha haaa opsman, I BeenThereDoneThat or, just got to using other rods rigged with something different and, allowed the frog to cure a little too long in the sun.  It don't taste like Jerky either!!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Spoons for fishing ? 2016/10/20 02:00:17 (permalink)
    The same thing happens if you let Gulp minnows dry on a jig,but some times you can soak them for a while & they will soften. I have had success with the glo in the dark Cleo's but I replace the trebles with no apparent loss of fish but fewer snags.  sam
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Spoons for fishing ? 2016/10/20 08:16:14 (permalink)
    I caught lots of eyes in my youth in Canada on red and white Dardevils, and I continue to use them up there on pike although in other colors as well. In my youth a small Dardevil jigged ice fishing brought lots of smacks from stocked trout. I still use Castmasters and Swedish Pimples for perch ice fishing, and I should consider the small red & white for that. Little Cleos are great at times for Steelhead. I should try spoons more often again for Eyes. I nearly allways have some with me.
      Caught half my Northerns in Canada this year drifting through weed beds vertical jigging 1 oz.Dardevils. Biggest was 15 lbs. We usually get some bigger but that was top fish this year. Top Smallmouth was 19 1/2 inch. Top eye was I believe 22 inch. Although only the Northern was caught on spoon.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Spoons for fishing ? 2016/10/20 08:24:21 (permalink)
    On the boat, spoons are my number one producer over everything else. Trolling, jigging, and casting, they always work. For trolling I use MI Stinger and Moonshiner flutter spoons (can't cast them) in the 3.5-6.0" range. Jigging and casting, Cleos in the 1/3-1 3/4 ounce range, occasionally I'll use a daredevle as well. Almost all of my land based fishing anymore is fly fishing but occasionally and historically I'll break out a small daredevle or custom made trout spoon to throw on my 7' UL for stream trout and 6'8" M for larger species.
    Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: Spoons for fishing ? 2016/10/20 11:22:43 (permalink)
    If you're casting weedy waters it's hard to beat the aforementioned Silver Minnow. Can also recommend the Mepps Timber Doodle, Nemire Red Ripper and Bucher's Slopmaster Spoon.

If you don't mind watching men fishing in short-shorts, check out this vintage timber doodle promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8zIbzZeXtM

The Acme Kastmaster, though not weedless, is also a good option. They will actually rise a bit on the retrieve, keeping them above the weeds. To blast through cover I rig them with single hooks instead of trebles.

In less weedy conditions I like a Red-Eye Wiggler for Esox, along with the light and lively Blue Fox Aqua Spoon, if you can find them. Aquas are lighter than Daredevles and can be fished slower.

Other great spoons: Ivanhoe, Doctor, Len Thompson, Onduspoon, just to name a few. I love spoons. Very versatile baits that can be worked in many different ways. Don't have to buy the fancy name brands, either. Here's a nice Presque Isle Pike caught on a generic dollar spoon (though I did change out the crappy split-ring):

post edited by Dan Morey - 2016/10/20 11:25:54
    Jump to: