Recommend a hang-on tree stand

Author
SteelCityAngler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points: 0
2016/09/14 07:37:30 (permalink)

Recommend a hang-on tree stand

Looking for something comfortable that won't cost too much, just in case someone thinks it's theirs.
Sportman's guide has a decent selection, but reviews are hit or miss.
Looking for someone to say they would buy another of what they purchased.

I'll need some climbing sticks/steps also.
Thanks

13 Replies Related Threads

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/14 08:18:56 (permalink)
    Rivers edge Bigfoot xl or the big game prodigy are the only ones I use. Both are super comfortable especially the seat on the prodigy. Both are very roomy and good for all day sits. Just put a cheapo treestand lock on it and your set.

I also like to take the top portion of my climbing sticks off if u want to keep people out or fear it'll get taken.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/14 08:51:07 (permalink)
    outasync
    Rivers edge Bigfoot xl or the big game prodigy are the only ones I use. Both are super comfortable especially the seat on the prodigy. Both are very roomy and good for all day sits. Just put a cheapo treestand lock on it and your set.

I also like to take the top portion of my climbing sticks off if u want to keep people out or fear it'll get taken.

I'm not familiar with the brand of tree stands this man speaks of, but I do know he spends many hours sitting in a tree for days on end.  I think (hope) he is practicing for hunting season or maybe taking up bird watching.  Anyways,  I would take Dave's advice when it comes to choosing a product of this nature.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/09/14 08:53:36

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

outasync
    Expert Angler
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/14 09:24:19 (permalink)
    Just got all our Ohio stands hung this past weekend and come to find out I could of skipped on the wifeys stand as the doctor says no archery hunting for her. So I may need to spend some time in it myself :) found out my week long November vacation was approved so that will be 9 days I get to spend hanging out in my tree perch from dawn to dusk!
    post edited by outasync - 2016/09/14 09:26:53
    SteelCityAngler
    New Angler
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/14 09:53:22 (permalink)
    Apparently Big Game bought Muddy and now it's labeled a Muddy product. Most reviews I saw were good, but saw a few where the seat would not fold up. Not sure if that is a user assembly error though. The Guide Gear climbing sticks are 3 for $27 though.
    Are the TMA body harnesses that come with the stand any good?
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/14 10:06:06 (permalink)
    outasync
    Just got all our Ohio stands hung this past weekend and come to find out I could of skipped on the wifeys stand as the doctor says no archery hunting for her. So I may need to spend some time in it myself :) found out my week long November vacation was approved so that will be 9 days I get to spend hanging out in my tree perch from dawn to dusk!

AND whooooooooo's fault it that.......... if I may ask? 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

outasync
    Expert Angler
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/14 10:08:24 (permalink)
    I've never had any problems with my seat. Folds quietly but it doesn't come off. If it is wet usually smacking it will dry it off. I bought the seat cover they sell I think from Roger sporting goods for around $5 to keep rain and snow off it.

I wear the hunter safety system bow hunters harness while hunting. Usually the one that came with it I wear while hanging stands and it's adequate just a little uncomfortable compared to what I'm used to.

Are the climbing sticks the 3 ft sections? I buy the rivers edge 20 ft connect and climb. Easier set up and it's nice having double foot rests for hanging and climbing in or out in the dark. I've come to hate the single sided angled ones. They put me out of commission for almost 2 weeks last year when I caught my knee on the edge of them climbing down. I was in a knee immobilizer for an entire week!
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/14 10:09:44 (permalink)
    John, I guess you could say it's both our faults! She was a willing participant lol
    SteelCityAngler
    New Angler
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/14 10:23:37 (permalink)
    outasync
    I've never had any problems with my seat. Folds quietly but it doesn't come off. If it is wet usually smacking it will dry it off. I bought the seat cover they sell I think from Roger sporting goods for around $5 to keep rain and snow off it.

I wear the hunter safety system bow hunters harness while hunting. Usually the one that came with it I wear while hanging stands and it's adequate just a little uncomfortable compared to what I'm used to.

Are the climbing sticks the 3 ft sections? I buy the rivers edge 20 ft connect and climb. Easier set up and it's nice having double foot rests for hanging and climbing in or out in the dark. I've come to hate the single sided angled ones. They put me out of commission for almost 2 weeks last year when I caught my knee on the edge of them climbing down. I was in a knee immobilizer for an entire week!

They are ~3' each with ~15" between each step. I just like that you can position them around limbs, but yeah the 20ft connect might be safer.
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/14 10:38:10 (permalink)
    It's more of a comfort thing for me. I have 5 of those small sections. They are pretty secure and don't slip a lot I just prefer to have a solid piece to remove the chance of it ever slipping when I'm climbing in the dark
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/14 15:30:05 (permalink)
    Field and stream has a decent one for about 70$
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/16 17:26:31 (permalink)
    This is something your life depends on,so with that said spare no expense. I hunted out of very expensive ladder stands my whole life had 6 I'm down to 2 thanks to thieves,haven been up a tree in 6 years,love my ground blinds and never had one borrowed. Maybe I spoke too soon.  lol
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/17 07:35:27 (permalink)
    We have the same problem here the quad gang patrols the woods looking for stands. The last few years I was able to hunt I carried a climber in and out. It's a shame but that's how it is anymore no respect for others. Some even thought Range was confiscating the one on land they leased but that was only opinions.l did hear that someone was selling a locator that you could install inside your stand and locate it on Google but I don't have any hard information on it or what the cost would be.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: Recommend a hang-on tree stand 2016/09/18 09:12:40 (permalink)
    the only budget trackers out there I have seen were Bluetooth trackers like tiles but they have limited range, like 150 feet.  $20 or so for them.  GPS trackers which I think is what you'd need for hunting equipment, start around $100.  not worth it for the equipment I might use in the woods (other than my climber but that comes out with me each time).
    Jump to: