Swatara Creek - need some help

Author
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
  • Reward points: 0
2016/06/13 22:55:46 (permalink)

Swatara Creek - need some help

I'll be staying in the Hershey area for 3 weeks in late July/early August. I'm going to take my kayak and some fishing gear. Looks like Swatara has plenty of access and some nice water. Can anyone familiar with the area suggest some lures/presentations for smallmouths or any other species? It'll be very relaxing to get out of work and hit the creek for a few hours. I'm hoping that my staples for the Allegheny River, tubes, flukes, small jigs, will work also. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks. 

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff

4 Replies Related Threads

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Swatara Creek - need some help 2016/06/16 01:30:42 (permalink)
    Little bit of info from a thread on these boards from 5 Aug 2008.  Check out the archives.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    Re: Swatara Creek - need some help 2016/06/17 21:32:48 (permalink)
    I did, thank you. Was just trying to get a bit of info that was a little more current. 

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Jester2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Swatara Creek - need some help 2018/10/15 16:31:45 (permalink)
    Swattie is a hidden gem BELOW the dam down by the Giant Center. Float there to the mouth, work the runs and eddys, and Walleye, some hog Smallmouth, and Musky all await.

While opportunities exist for a decent Smallmouth or two and holdover Trout from the drainage basin above, pickin's are slim.  Know that the Cat guys know where they lurk as well (numerous holes with 12-20 feet of water hold Cats in the upper stretches--but most of the water is 4 ft or less in depth in the upper Swattie).  Fall fish (aka, the PA Creek Chub) are the most abundant species in the upper Swattie in my experience, although in fairness, I've never seriously fished while floating it . . . just had the pole along for the ride while floating it w kids/friends.
    MCMmark1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: Swatara Creek - need some help 2019/05/10 05:16:03 (permalink)
    That time of the year on the Swatara can be a great trip. Top water lures as well as spinner baits are a great choice to start with...good luck and Fish On
    Jump to: