Solarez UV Curing Resin Review

Author
mcflyangler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points: 0
2016/06/13 13:57:18 (permalink)

Solarez UV Curing Resin Review

UV Curing resins are the way of the future for fly tying epoxy.  They are much quicker and easier to use.  No more mixing, no more trying to hurry before curing, and no more of those terrible drying wheels.  These curing resins make epoxying so much easier.  Just zap with a UV light, and its done.  

Solarez was actually the inventor of UV resin.  They originally made it for surf boards, and have moved into products designed for fly tying, among many other applications.  They currently have 4 formulas specialized for fly tying.  The Thin Hard formula is great for penetrating thread wraps and fibers.  Also great for applying eyes and thin coats over bodies.  The Thick Hard formula is great for building bug bodies and when you need a thicker and slower formula.  The Flex formula is really great for repairing waders, and building bodies that need to "flex" or bend without the formula cracking.  I also use this for some knots to keep their strength and to smooth them out.  The most recent formula they came out with is bone dry.  This cures super hard, and very quickly.  It also comes with a brush applicator and is great for use as head cement.

http://youtu.be/Y7_XtBt1mf8

11 Replies Related Threads

cdcaddis
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2016/12/10 15:48:05 (permalink)
     Post deleted.

post edited by cdcaddis - 2016/12/11 15:10:32

Flyfisher for fifty-four years.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2017/01/08 12:01:50 (permalink)
    Which one would you recommend for surf candy? Do they cure clear, or with yellow tint?
    mcflyangler
    New Angler
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2017/01/19 11:35:24 (permalink)
    Yes, very clear Porktown, I usually use multiple of their resins.  I use the thin hard, then thick hard, then do a coat of the "bone dry".  But I've also used the "flex" to make it more squishy as well (kinda like a soft plastic) in a way.  Here, I have a video of me making a surf candy with it if you want to view it.  

Its not actually a traditional surf candy though...  its got other materials.  This one is with the flex... 
    https://youtu.be/Yug5uBLaSq4

This one is more hard cure... 
    https://youtu.be/B4qc8FH-JUU

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2017/01/19 20:59:46 (permalink)
    Good stuff McFly.  Do you ever use the surf candies inland?  I want to tie some up for the beach, but don't go often.  They look like one of the best glass minnow imitations that I have seen.  Although KJH had some on this site that looked incredible too (using for false albacore).  The epoxy head seems like a good idea with blues and spanish macks, which I am targeting though.

mcflyangler
    New Angler
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2017/01/19 21:53:45 (permalink)
    I fish these for bass all the time at my local lake, they work well.  I have also fished them inshore for redfish and seatrout.  I am sure they would be great off shore also...  
    BitterChamp
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2020/12/15 05:19:30 (permalink)
    mcflyangler
    Yes, very clear Porktown, I usually use multiple of their resins.  I use the thin hard, then thick hard, then do a coat of the "bone dry".  But I've also used the "flex" to make it more squishy as well (kinda like a soft plastic) in a way.  Here, I have a video of me making a surf candy  with it if you want to view it. 

Its not actually a traditional surf candy though...  its got other materials.  This one is with the flex...  
    This one is more hard cure... 

Love it thank for the valuable information...

post edited by BitterChamp - 2020/12/15 23:35:04
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2020/12/15 11:49:36 (permalink)
    This stuff smells pretty strong, so best to use in your garage or other that won't stink up the rest of your house.

I bought some small applicator bottles at the craft store that have a pin hole size metal applicator, that help in not putting on too much at a time.

I made similar to these below, but made my own "flyefoils" out of foil sticker stock and my printer.  They work really well in the surf, when there are glass minnows around.

https://www.flytyer.com/the-modern-surf-candy/

Also made some pretty cool looking scuds with this, but haven't caught much with them.

I have also used it for clear coat on some hard lures that I have made too.

Pretty cool product.  Beats having to mix.
    BitterChamp
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2020/12/15 23:35:38 (permalink)
    mcflyangler
    UV Curing resins are the way of the future for fly tying epoxy.  They are much quicker and easier to use.  No more mixing, no more trying to hurry before curing, and no more of those terrible drying wheels.  These curing resins make epoxying so much easier.  Just zap with a UV light, and its done.  

Solarez was actually the inventor of UV resin.  They originally made it for surf boards, and have moved into products designed for fly tying, among many other applications.  They currently have 4 formulas specialized for fly tying.  The Thin Hard formula is great for penetrating thread wraps and fibers.  Also great for applying eyes and thin coats over bodies.  The Thick Hard formula is great for building bug bodies and when you need a thicker and slower formula.  The Flex formula is really great for repairing waders, and building bodies that need to "flex" or bend without the formula cracking.  I also use this for some knots to keep their strength and to smooth them out.  The most recent formula they came out with is bone dry.  This cures super hard, and very quickly.  It also comes with a brush applicator and is great for use as head cement.

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your website is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this website. 
    hordeactor
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2021/02/23 09:54:53 (permalink)
    Which one would you recommend for surf candy? Do they cure clear, or with yellow tint with Fishing tackle shop in Dubai, last time I bought some tools from their.

post edited by hordeactor - 2021/03/10 04:01:03
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2021/02/23 11:48:16 (permalink)
    I would just get clear and then you can add color to it. You can add color to the materials or put a thin layer on then color that and then put another thin layer on so it becomes waterproof.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Solarez UV Curing Resin Review 2021/02/23 19:17:21 (permalink)
    It dries clear unlike some 2 part epoxies that will yellow. 

I bought a 3 pack of thick, thin and the soft. I went through them pretty quickly, so I bought a quart of the stuff meant for surf boards. The price was a fraction per ounce and have gotten my money’s worth. It seems to be the same as the thin. I still have about half and bought maybe 5 years ago and seems to work just fine still. I use it on a bunch of things. Hard baits that I have carved, lead casting spoons and flies for fishing. Other stuff around the house too. I just used some on a chip in my windshield. I doubt it has the holding strength of 2 ton, but have never tried to use it for bonding. I would definitely get an application bottle with a metal fine tip, craft stores sell. I put in a ziplock when done and seems to stay fine. That fine tip will make putting on surf candies much easier. Do in layers, put a bit on, hit with UV, then put a bit more on. If not, it will run and be a bit awkward, but still catches fish! If doing hard baits, I put some in a small empty tomato paste metal jar then dip. I also warm it first in some hot water to thin prior. You can paint on too, but can get brush strokes that won’t lay flat at times and drive you nuts. For flies, you don’t need to thin. I bought some UV light bulbs that I use in an old lamp when doing more than fly trying with those I just use a UV flashlight.

I have some left over from dipping that I put in a HDPE bottle with lid and has been usable since. Over 2 years. I had read to not put back in the main can to not mess it all up.

Don’t worry too much about exposing to light. When I first used, I was trying to stay as low light as possible and showed in some of the flies. After that, I said heck with it and did in regular light (garage fluorescent). I wouldn’t use outside on a sunny day. I put things outside in the sun when done to fully cure and out gas. I do all of my epoxy coating in my garage, it is a relatively strong smell. Not nearly as bad as fiberglass resin, but I avoid using for my family to suck in fumes. If doing a good bit a respirator is advised and I always wear gloves. I see most guys online using for flies don’t seem to use safety equipment.

Like Lupo said, putting a layer down, hitting with a colored sharpie, then another layer puts some cool effects. I made some shrimp flies doing that and look cool. I haven’t caught anything on them.

It is some good stuff all around though.
    post edited by Porktown - 2021/02/24 10:31:19
    Jump to: