Neshannock Creek

Author
whiterobin
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points: 0
2016/04/24 20:23:56 (permalink)

Neshannock Creek

Awesome day fishing Neshannock Creek.  Water had a perfect tint and lots of fish brought to hand.  Fish were active early in the morning rising for dries, but in the afternoon, nymphs were the ticket.  Very supportive of the Keystone Select Stocked Trout Waters.  Was able to have the girlfriend land her first trout on a fly rod.  Bringing new anglers into the game is what its all about.

Pictures from the Neshannock can be found here:
White Robin Outdoors

What does everyone think of the Keystone Select Program?  We were surveyed by a game commissioner about expanding the program. If they expanded the program what other delayed harvests would you suggest?
post edited by whiterobin - 2016/04/24 21:17:08

7 Replies Related Threads

troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re: Neshannock Creek 2016/04/25 16:27:57 (permalink)
    Good stuff and congrats on her first trout on the fly! Looks like you had a good time.

In regards to the Keystone Select Program, I have mixed feelings. Reeling in big stockies is certainly more fun than your average 11inchers and it is definitely nice to get new anglers hooked on fishing. The downside is the crazy crowds. That part of Neshannock(and I'm sure the other streams in the program) has been very crowded this year......even farther from the access points. Maybe it's just all the hype since this is the first year of the program and the crowds will dwindle back to normal in a few years. We'll just have to wait and see.

Some people say the larger fish make for an "unnatural" situation......kinda like the private club scenes, and it gives newer anglers an unrealistic view on trout fishing. But 11 inch trout in Neshannock aren't exactly natural either.

Other than the overcrowding I have no problem with the Keystone Select Program. As far as expanding the program........I think that's great, as long as it's not at the expense of other fisheries(in other words, quit cutting fall stockings and warmwater stockings). But cutting stockings on wild trout waters would be a fantastic idea and they could use those fish towards expanding the Keystone Select Program. But the PFBC doesn't use that type of logic.....
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re: Neshannock Creek 2016/04/25 16:34:19 (permalink)
    And cool that you got a brookie there!!! Could've gotten mixed in......or swam down from another creek. Rare catch for there

pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3425
    Re: Neshannock Creek 2016/04/25 16:41:41 (permalink)
    Ya they have been beating that water behind the shop, and the whole stretch for that matter, to a white froth. Kinda silly. Yes you have a chance to get bigger fish, but there are sooo many fishable spots from the Covered Bridge to where it dumps into the Shenago its crazy. Ofcourse your not gonna rub elbows with too many L.L Bean cover models the closer to town you get. Jus say'IN.
    post edited by pensfan1 - 2016/04/25 16:43:09
    whiterobin
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re: Neshannock Creek 2016/04/25 21:41:17 (permalink)
    Yeah I have to agree with you troutguy, definitely more crowds.  I am with you on expanding the program, however, I am sure there will be cuts elsewhere to make up for it if they do expand (which they seem to be pushing for).  

Another downside I can forsee is fish mortality.  Even this past weekend, water temps were rather warm, and guy after guy hooked a fish and either netted it and lifted net out of water to go to shore for a picture or didnt have a net and just handled it over to shore where they kept it out of the water for a pretty long time.  I wonder how many fish can't recoup and end up dying off.  I'm sure its not on purpose, but I could see some of those bigger fish being killed time and time again being held out of the water.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re: Neshannock Creek 2016/04/25 22:45:47 (permalink)
    Yep I agree. People aren't used to the bigger fish there, and without a net safely landing and releasing them can be a little more difficult especially if you want to take pictures in the process. Looking at your photos you obviously know what you're doing!!! I'm really curious how many are left come June(if the water temps are still cool enough to safely target trout). I can see the residency rate being a little less than with the smaller fish
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re: Neshannock Creek 2016/04/25 22:47:02 (permalink)
    And I don't know what pensfan1 is talking about. There's no fish between the covered bridge and downtown ;-)
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3425
    Re: Neshannock Creek 2016/04/25 23:06:08 (permalink)
    Lol. Sorry lmao. Didnt mean to be a burner. Hahaha. Jus say'IN..
    Jump to: