Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
  • Reward points: 0
2016/04/08 13:24:21 (permalink)

Fish Recipes

I'm not to fancy when I'm cooking fish, fried with a light breading is fine with me. We also bake,broil and even boil poor man's shrimp cocktail. Any good recipes worth trying? It's my turn to cook fish today,just finished lunch. The menu was fried jumbo gill fillets dipped in egg wash and 4 C's bread crumbs and pan fried. I'm part caveman that's what my son and I ate,nothing else but hot sauce and an adult beverage. Tonight walleye cheek,linguine. Butter,olive oil,garlic,parsley,basil,and little wine wine,sauteed,and tossed in the pasta. Any good recipes,always looking for new ways to enjoy my bounties. Thanks

32 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 13:45:45 (permalink)
    For a quick meal it's "Cracker Meal" Sea Food Mix by McCormick.  Add additional seasoning to your liking but hold the garlic for me.   Fillets going into the frying pan as we speak.

Can't tell ya where the fillets came from, I promised, "no spot burning". 

Enjoy your meal BT.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/04/08 13:47:40

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mopars0
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 13:52:49 (permalink)
    Don't have a bunch in fact this is about all I use...McCormick Fry Mix, Beer batter ... I use a 12oz beer with 1 package , use cast iron skillet with oil about half filled ... Dip fish in mix , put in skillet ...deep fry it for about 8 minutes or to your liking .... That all I got but my neighbor's love it ....

STEVE.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 13:56:28 (permalink)
    Here are some of my favorites.  Easy.

Pan fried.  Sleeve of saltine crackers and about half cup of flour in the food processor until crackers are small crumbs, not a powder.  Toss in some seasonings too.  I just dip the fillets in milk, but egg works for thicker breading.  Usually season again after nice and golden brown, or darker.  Ritz or Cheezits work well too.

Grilled.  Coat both sides with mayo.  I use light mayo, and works fin.  I still use a fish spatula.  Season to your taste, salt and pepper is just fine.  Mayo will keep from sticking and give some incredible grill mark flavor.  If you want to be fancy.  Use different fish, with salmon and tuna in as well, to have different colors and flavors.

Baked or grilled.  Look up recipes for both "Bourbon Chicken" and "Roadside Chicken" marinades.  Works very well on fish too.

I like smoking fish too.  A ton of good recipes on here that I have stolen in the past.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 13:57:05 (permalink)
    Looks like crappie fillets. Did Marco give you some? lol Hard to beat a simple fish fry. So basic,but so good. I could eat it twice a week but the the wife complains about the grease smell. I've got a kitchen full of burning candles right now! My house smell more like  beds and bath  than a kitchen.lol Enjoy your meal BTDT
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 14:03:52 (permalink)
    I think what I make is basically cracker meal.  Will have to check that out in the store.  Saltines are so cheap though, and make for a good "back up" snack when low on snacks around the house...

I meant to add to the grilled fish, to be fancy have the different fish on a kabob stick.

roygpa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 15:16:54 (permalink)
    We usually use Shore Lunch, but I have to admit that the crappie that the fish commission cooked at the Linesville open house last weekend was really good and all it was was an egg wash and 4C breadcrumbs then into the fryer. I asked the guy what he doctored his recipe with and he said "nothing. just those two ingredients."

-Roy
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 15:21:10 (permalink)
    I like to add cavenders Greek seasoning to McCormick fish and chips
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 16:31:12 (permalink)
    Any breading or potato flakes are good, or cast iron pan on the woodburner butter pepper ,begin to drink your beer

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 21:26:56 (permalink)
    mopars0
    Don't have a bunch in fact this is about all I use...McCormick Fry Mix, Beer batter ... I use a 12oz beer with 1 package , use cast iron skillet with oil about half filled ... Dip fish in mix , put in skillet ...deep fry it for about 8 minutes or to your liking .... That all I got but my neighbor's love it ....

You got some lucky neighbors buddy!!!!  Did ya ever try Ginger Ale or Coke in place of beer?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 21:39:13 (permalink)
    Big Tuna
    Looks like crappie fillets. Did Marco give you some? lol Hard to beat a simple fish fry. So basic,but so good. I could eat it twice a week but the the wife complains about the grease smell. I've got a kitchen full of burning candles right now! My house smell more like  beds and bath  than a kitchen.lol Enjoy your meal BTDT

Did Marco give me "what", are you serious, I had to steal a picture of his bucket of fish just so I could remember what a Crappie looks like.  HA HAA.  

Ain't nothin finer then walking in to the house on a chilly afternoon and smell deep fried fish cookin'.

PS. I have one of those filters in my furnace that removes odor..... it works.

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/08 23:24:52 (permalink)
    If you want good spicy flavored fish buy Andy's Cajun. It's spicy, so you might want to cut it with another mix you like. I like it spicy, so it's in the egg wash, and rolled in Andy's Cajun only, and into the hot oil. It's always the first to go at the Captain's fish fry's. Just a tip: If you are frying other fish in the same oil, fry with Andy's last , it will spice up the oil too! This is a major hit with cold beer ! Put the French fries in after for an extra spicy treat .
    Buy at most Wal-Mart's, cheap and goes a long way too !

Comes in 3 different flavors but Cajun is my favorite choice !

outasync ,   that's my favorite all round meat seasoning !

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/04/08 23:29:19
    The Ref
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 10:40:28 (permalink)
    I just try any type of crackers smashed up. Ritz are good corn flakes too. Cheese it's and Doritos give it a nice taste. Potatoe chips are pretty good. I'll try what ever is in the cupboard but first I need to catch some eyes...lol maybe next weekend
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 12:31:37 (permalink)
     I start with rollin' in flour then dip in egg/milk then anything goes. 

crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/04/09 12:34:41
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 12:37:35 (permalink)
    Never done the flour first may have to try that next time. Does it make the breading crisper?
    Captain - My father in law puts cavenders on everything lol I only put it on venison burgers and fish. Sometimes I substitute old bay in the bread crumbs
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 12:51:11 (permalink)
     Think it's supposed to make the egg/milk stay put better. Saw it done that way on fishin' & cookin' t.v. shows when I was child.

crappy
    Slabseeker
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 13:04:00 (permalink)
    I take the McCormick Fish'n Chips batter and mix it with 7up, Ginger Ale, or Sierra Mist. Dip fillets in the batter mix and then into Potato Flakes and deep fry. The potato flakes add to the flavor in my opinion. I know the fillets don't last long around our place.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 13:20:41 (permalink)
     Think last week I used pancake mix in place ov the flour on Crappie & Perch. The Perch were still full ov eggs.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 15:28:15 (permalink)
    Yeah did Ritz a lot years ago, did cheese nips, instant potatoes, Andy's cajun,  4C's, Progresso, half corn meal half flour,did the beer batters..All good,I eat a lot of crappie,to me there to mild,I always add spices to  homemade breading , cayenne,black pepper,garlic powder,old bay, chili powder, or pre made fish spices,lemon pepper, cajun the list goes on.  Try adding a little Srarcha hot sauce to your egg wash, bam ! 
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 15:32:28 (permalink)
    yellow corn meal on my perch then fry in crisco, the shortening, not the oil.  salt.  Love smelts dusted with flour and deep fried.  Everything else I'll experiment with.
    ShenangoEyes
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 19:09:23 (permalink)
    Seasoned flour -> egg wash -> panko/cornmeal mix -> peanut oil, or, even better, LARD, pan fried. hit with salt and lemon juice immediately after it comes out of the oil.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 19:11:43 (permalink)
    Yep start with seasoned flour....
    mopars0
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 19:20:50 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.

You got some lucky neighbors buddy!!!!  Did ya ever try Ginger Ale or Coke in place of beer?
    BTDT no never tried anything but beer might try that though...

STEVE.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/09 20:08:42 (permalink)
    Pike , I like those smelts too! Got to have the cocktail sauce for dipping for me. I like to add a little more horsey sauce in the dip.

I prefer the seasoned cornmeal recipes over batters . Some batters I've had are just too greasy for some reason. All good eating recipes !

BTDT , looks awful good there ! 
    post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/04/09 20:11:39
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/10 09:44:40 (permalink)
    I have to agree Brock, the beer batters to greasy for me also. Haven't dipped smelts in decades. But did it on the NUT ,with my dad,uncle and grandpap as a.young boy. I took my son about 20 years ago on  Sandusky river and fished all night off some docks and caught over 1200 one night. Nothing quite like a fresh smelt,lightly dusted in seasoned flour and dipped in cocktail sauce and
    hot sauce,and your favorite beer. What happened to the smelts? I use to get them in the bay ice fishing,you could see them right under the ice. I could pull 2 or 3 at a time. I guess I caught to many.lol Never dipped them on the Niagara river but hear they have good runs.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/10 10:00:49 (permalink)
    Well there's one fish I can't say I BTDT as far as catching but, I BTDT when comes to eating my fair share (than some)!!

Been many, along with a lot, of years since I have enjoyed a good batch of Smelt and  I sure do remember, the great "Smelt Fries" when I pigged out at the RVFD in Reno, PA.  The recipe was one of those "we'll have to kill ya if, we told you deals" so I have no idea of what was used but, back in the day, those boys could fry em up along with french fries, OHHH Baby!!

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/11 13:18:59 (permalink)
    when I was a kid we always got into smelt here and there fishing off the piers and sand docks.  I've had my boat 8 seasons now and only got into a school of them once while perching about 3 years ago.  When I go to Giant Eagle or Erie Co. Farms (are they even open anymore?), I always pick up a bag or 2.  Just make sure they're the Lake Ontario smelt and not an ocean fish from South America.  BeenThereDoneThat, they're voracious little feeders.  You'll know when you're into a school of them, your lines getting hit and your baits disappearing.  That's why I always carry smaller hooks in case I have to switch up to get 'em.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/11 22:10:33 (permalink)
    Never caught em but sure can remember when I was a kid, my neighbors bringing a bucket of them back from Erie.  They'd slit em, wash em, and freeze em.  Something then about eating a fish with fins, tails, ribs and, back bones still intact just didn't seem appetizing.  Ummm, did I mention scales too?   But boy oh boy..... a few (++) years later, a couple (+++) Rolling Rock appetizers and I was looking forward to the next smelt fry.

I appreciate the heads-up on Giant Eagle and the Lake Ontario fish, who the hell knows what you get when ya buy fish from other parts of the world.  If it is in fact fish.

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/11 22:41:56 (permalink)
    I catch them with no problem now ! At our local grocery store D'Onofrio's Food Center. Already cleaned and breaded, and froze in sealed bags. LOL....About 4.00 a pound and they are good.

Fred , I was up on the Niagara one Spring and a couple local guys were getting ready to go down and net some that night. They told me you need three guys to work it right. One netting in the water or close to it , one holding the light and ready to hand the net to, and one bucket man. They were short a guy and told me if I wanted to they would split the share with me. I thought he said 8 quart containers per man was the limit for a day....not sure. Anyway he said they come and go throughout the night....nothing for an hour then, Smelts everywhere ! I didn't go, had fishing priorities first. Wish I did check it out. They have a Smelt Festival up there I believe too.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Recipes 2016/04/12 21:23:18 (permalink)
    Yuuuuuuuuuuuuk...........   don't this just make ya hungry for Smelt????

https://weather.com/news/...s-pollute-chilean-town

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: