Weird old OMC tank connector?

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2016/03/26 23:56:51 (permalink)

Weird old OMC tank connector?

Anyone know what the deal with this nonsense is?  

Maybe I can just use a Johnson/Evinrude connector and ignore that third pin?  I read something about "dual hose" but none of the connectors look right.  I guess I could just use a different tank.  Any ideas?

3 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Weird old OMC tank connector? 2016/03/27 00:04:47 (permalink)
    Dual fuel lines were used prior to moat botors having their own fuel pumps.  One line was used to pressure the tank and the other to carry fuel back to the moat botor.  It wasn't til around 1960 that OMC produced motors, with fuel pumps.

Can't tell you if the newer OMC connectors will fit the old style fuel cans. (safely)  Just better off to buy a new tank and not need to worry about proper connections.  Wouldn't want to see some old shirtless hairy guy strutting his stuff on Shenango and ........  Kaaa- BLEWIE!!!!!!  

All that work up in smoke.

Wouldn't want to lose a friend either.

PS.  Don't toss that can, especially if it is a pre 60's tank that was converted to single line.  Money, Money, Money!!
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/03/27 10:01:09

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Weird old OMC tank connector? 2016/03/27 12:40:31 (permalink)
    Roger on the don't use.  I'm certain I have two spares stored in the cabin from an older boat.  That was one of those "here is all of my fishing stuff ever thanks for cleaning out my garage" boat deals.  But you're saying it might have... collector value?  A gas can?  That's odd.  Maybe someone will buy it at the dirtball mall.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Weird old OMC tank connector? 2016/03/27 12:55:58 (permalink)
    Seriously, especially the pre sixties cans that were the original pressurized tanks.  Even if the tanks are roached the other parts are highly sought after.  Many of those cans were converted to vacumm style feeds by simply changing the inner workings and hose fittings as you see on your tank.  That fitting alone is history with today's tanks.

However, before completely putting your tank up for sell, check with a reputable boat dealer, they may have the proper connector.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Jump to: