Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
  • Reward points: 0
2016/01/07 18:47:35 (permalink)

Kind of late??

I just walked out my back door,a little after 6pm and came face to face with the nicest buck I've seen in years!!10 yds max! Could I tell how many points but anters were tall with good spread.Question is "what he doing with a full rack this time of year? Weather?? Will definitely walk the woods around yard to see if he might drop if hehit a branch. Didn't he realize he could cause an old bird to had a heart attack!

32 Replies Related Threads

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/08 06:10:37 (permalink)
    As for the reason antlers are shed, it's due to a drop in testosterone following the rut. When a buck's testosterone levels fall, it causes a weakening in the tissue and bone at the antler base (pedicle) to the point where the antlers simply fall off. This process can happen quickly; antlers that are firmly attached one day can weaken and fall off within 24 to 48 hours. A buck in peak physical health will shed his antlers later than a weaker buck, and injured deer often shed their antlers early.  Copied and pasted this for you Walleye.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/08 07:36:49 (permalink)
    A friend of mine raised deer for years. His bucks never lost their antlers until late March to early April. His claim mirrored the above about testosterone, but threw in the variable that with good feed, which they had everyday, they kept them on longer.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/08 07:53:01 (permalink)
    Once saw a good 8 point just North of Washington Pa along 79 on April 7.  I have also seen dropped horns on the  first day of rifle season. I have seen full racks in my back yard  in Warren County in early Feb several times. I agree on the  testosterone level and health of the deer.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/08 08:37:13 (permalink)
    I'm a little north of little Washington in the middle of Markwest territory where hunting has pretty much died compared to the past.Not saying that has anything to with the deer.I was just completely unprepared to see a buck that nice this late.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/08 18:55:49 (permalink)
    Hey Walcat where you been??? Haven't seen any post from you lately.Thought you went out town for the holidays and decided to stay.Since Markwest showed up here there seems to be a healthy number of does around here. Bad side most of the woods are off limits to hunting and what open you have to pay to lease.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/08 19:38:07 (permalink)
    That's why the deer are around to be seen.  Somebody got smart and created a "safe haven".  I wish the horns would fall of the bucks around my place so I can kil... uhhhhh... harvest them and use my antlerless tags cause they are all sub legal and I can't choot-em til they lose the horns.

Hey I didn't write the rules so don't expect me to explain that nonsense.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 07:23:02 (permalink)
     My son and I have been buying 6 doe tags ( combined) since the HR started,seldom use any. We been shooting one doe or none for the last  several years and burning 5 or 6 each each year. I guess not enough hunters did that,with the numbers at a all time low. As to latest antlers seen on a buck,April 10th saw a super nice huge 10.pts feeding on new growth apple tree buds in an orchard.

SaltWaterRocks
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 09:33:17 (permalink)
    But remember, if you buy a tag and don't use it, the GC thinks hunter success rates are lower so they issue more licenses.  This happened for years in the northern mountains.  However, if you buy those licenses and "use" them by reporting the kills, the GC actually multiplies that number by 3.  Each year the GC checks processors, writes down the CID's for successful hunters, goes to the database and checks to see if they were ever reported.  They have found about a 1/3 reporting ratio.  In short, kill or no kill, report it.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 12:39:09 (permalink)
    So the 2/3 of the guys that don't report get fined for not sending in a report card? I never sent one in till they went to everything on the computer. So should we make false reports and say We kill 6 does every year? No it up to the Hunter to take charge,buy a tags and use your judgement,if your seeing deer in numbers then maybe ok to take one,but I hear to much of this,it was the only doe I saw,bang dead deer. How longs that going to last? I will continue to buy tags and toss them. My son and I hunt hard,with bow,gun,and flint we could kill 6 does without a doubt but we choose not to,conservation,herd management,not being a slob,call it what you want. I love deer hunting,and deer hunting  means seeing deer,not bird watching.PGC waited to long to do something about it so it's up to the Hunter.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 12:54:17 (permalink)
    Saltwater is that reporting that I "shot" a doe or I "saw" a doe?  I'm afraid if I report I "saw" a doe the game commission will issue three more tags  then they did this year for 1-A

But seriously folks, let's support the BIG changes that have recently taken place within the game commission administration.  Also, the new regulations regarding killi........ uhhhh...... harvesting season for antlerless deer.

In addition, we should be writing or calling the commission board members and letting them know we don't want to hear anything but an enormous reduction with the "doe tags".  Regardless of how unfriendly the hunting conditions were or a minimum amount of antlerless deer being killed. (a/k/a/ 'harvesting for', the cool-aid drinkers) this year.

That being said, yinz guyz claiming there is no doe, I beg the difference with you.  I happen to know there is an abundant number of doe where I hunt in 1-A cause I seen their tracks!

PS.  A/R sucks..... 10-4.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/01/09 12:56:42

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 12:56:58 (permalink)
    Dardys, so does that mean alot of this feed contains steroids?  I've always suspected that anyway watching these canned hunts and massive racks on television.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 15:31:52 (permalink)
    Very few nights I don't see doe in my back yard. Unfortunately I've had a few hit by cars in front of the house which is a little confusing seeing that the road is perfectly straight for roughly a 300 yds,lined with street lights,35 mph speed limit and no trees or bushes in any yard.Just baffles me!! Maybe people from My Lebo travel Thur here at night.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 15:45:19 (permalink)
    pikepredator2
    Dardys, so does that mean alot of this feed contains steroids?  I've always suspected that anyway watching these canned hunts and massive racks on television.

Don't know what his feed contained.

He didn't hunt on his property and as far as I know, he didn't sell urine or anything. Basically he raised them as pets.

Although I wouldn't doubt that sheds made their way to a mount somewhere.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 15:45:53 (permalink)
    AR good
    HR bad
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 15:59:10 (permalink)
    Haven't hunted PA since the one and done days with (as I recall) a 2 day doe season just before XMass.  Never participated in that.
    Last hunt there bout 45 years ago out in Warren County around Sugar Grove.
    There were many Doe sightings every day back then.
    Its sad to read whats happening to your herd.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/01/09 19:56:49
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 16:05:16 (permalink)
    Big Tuna
    AR goodHR bad

Yeah.... what he sayed...is.. what I meant to say. Dang, I sound like someone else saying something and meaning the other something.

walcat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 17:52:01 (permalink)
    Big Tuna
    So the 2/3 of the guys that don't report get fined for not sending in a report card? I never sent one in till they went to everything on the computer. So should we make false reports and say We kill 6 does every year? No it up to the Hunter to take charge,buy a tags and use your judgement,if your seeing deer in numbers then maybe ok to take one,but I hear to much of this,it was the only doe I saw,bang dead deer. How longs that going to last? I will continue to buy tags and toss them. My son and I hunt hard,with bow,gun,and flint we could kill 6 does without a doubt but we choose not to,conservation,herd management,not being a slob,call it what you want. I love deer hunting,and deer hunting  means seeing deer,not bird watching.PGC waited to long to do something about it so it's up to the Hunter.

+10 Man, have you ever hit the nail on the head!!! Your info is spot on.Until the guys get it in their heads that they are being played like a banjo by the game comm. nothing will be done to help bring the herd back up. Get it in your heads, they don't give a **** about you. All they are interested in is the God almighty dollar from you!!!!!!!If you believe the crap they are telling you ,you are naive !!!!! Like I said before, insurance co (car) and lumber co., up north !!!!!!!
    walcat
    New Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 18:03:34 (permalink)
    BTDT: We DON"T have to write to them, they already know it !!!!! But like the federal gov. on gun control, they don't care what you think !!!!! Get it in your head it's money, big money from you know who !!!!!! It's time for the sportsmen to show up in your state rep office in the capitol in force and deliever the message right in their face!!!!! Then they will know you are serious !!!!

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 19:32:04 (permalink)
    Board of Game Commissioners to meet on January 31 - February 2, 2016.The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners will hold its first quarterly meeting of 2016, Jan. 31 thru Feb. 2, in the agency's Harrisburg headquarters, 2001 Elmerton Avenue, just off the Progress Avenue exit of Interstate 81 in Harrisburg, Dauphin County. A link to a live stream of the meeting will be available on the agency home page following public comments. A copy of the agenda will be posted roughly two weeks prior.
    Tentative Schedule:On Sunday, Jan. 31, beginning at 1 p.m., the Board will hear public recommendations for 2016-17 hunting and furtaking seasons and bag limits. Doors will open at noon. Individuals interested in offering public testimony – limited to five minutes – may begin to register at noon on a first-come, first-to-speak basis. PowerPoint presentations will not be permitted during public comment.On Monday, Feb. 1, beginning at 8:30 a.m., the Board will hear any additional public comments followed by Game Commission staff reports. Doors open at 7:45 a.m. Registration for those interested in offering public testimony – limited to five minutes – also will begin at that time. PowerPoint presentations will not be permitted during public comment.On Tuesday, Feb. 2, beginning at 8:30 a.m., the Board will take up its prepared agenda to give preliminary approval to hunting and trapping seasons and bag limits for 2016-17 and establish other meeting dates for the coming year, among other things. Doors open at 7:45 a.m.Additional quarterly meetings will be listed when scheduled.  ALL-A-BOARD...................

Sure  would be nice if they held "town hall meetings" like they did for to the present deer program.  Think they might take that suggestion into consideration for future meetings?

Ummmmm ....... is that being naive?????
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/01/09 19:38:48

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 19:40:02 (permalink)
    Never mind Walcat..................... don't answer that!!

walcat
    New Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/09 20:31:30 (permalink)
    I will!!!!! No your are not!! Thank you for the good posting .
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/15 12:48:31 (permalink)
    r3g3
    Haven't hunted PA since the one and done days with (as I recall) a 2 day doe season just before XMass.  Never participated in that.
    Last hunt there bout 45 years ago out in Warren County around Sugar Grove.
    There were many Doe sightings every day back then.
    Its sad to read whats happening to your herd.

r3g3,
    Still plenty of deer on Brown hill, between youngsville and Russell and in the Russell area.  Huntable population around ANF/Kinzua.

Yeah, there are probably areas that don't have too many deer still but, after being up there this season on the first day of rifle, there is definitely a lack of hunters from what I remember back in the 80's when I started hunting up there. 
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/15 13:45:32 (permalink)
    Of course that's due to much of it being posted.  The hunter numbers are definitely down in the area.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/16 07:29:19 (permalink)
    Just received these photos taken this morning by my boy in Pittsburgh.  Sorry for the quality of the photo, they were taken with a cell phone at a distance.  The pictures show that it is not uncommon to see bucks sporting horns at this time of year, they also show what is lurking in the city limits.

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/16 08:55:32 (permalink)
    My son's girlfriend lives in a Pittsburgh suburb,the day it snowed,he drove around a cemetery and counted 23 deer,which 8 where antlered deer. All had both antlers,although some where broken up. From what he could make out all 8 where legal,and 2 where really nice pope and young bucks. I can hunt Mt. Lebo but never did. I guess I'm going to hunt the Burgh deer next year. It might not be as sporting but may be more productive. I'm getting old got to take the easy route.lol  No ladder stand no ground blind,sitting on my friends deck. It would be different.lol I saw a small basket 8 a couple days ago by my house.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/16 10:12:43 (permalink)
    Sounds like a dream come true. Sitting at Starbucks, watching the news and deer hunting! Sign me up!!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/16 12:51:47 (permalink)
    Jigs I'll tell ya buddy, if I lived in the "Burgh" I'd have me a lift gate on my pick-up truck and I'd be driving around picking up all those deer getting killed by vehicles every day.  In no time at all I'd have me a freezer full of "deer BURGHer". 

Get it huh........ deer BURGH  er?

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/16 15:39:26 (permalink)
    Believe it or not I had a friend that use to do just that! He would pick up fresh kills every day if some of the meat was still good he'd make jerky and the rest would go to his tigers.Rest his soul he did love his cats.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Kind of late?? 2016/01/16 17:21:42 (permalink)
    Not uncommon at all, one just need call the local PGC office to obtain a permit with the understanding the hide and head (including antlers) need be turned over.  Unless one has an unused "deer tag" from a hunting license for the appropriate season.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: