LockedClimbing Stand for a Youth Hunter

Author
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
  • Reward points: 0
2015/12/14 10:10:02 (permalink)

Climbing Stand for a Youth Hunter

So my 12 year old has his mind set on getting a climbing stand for Christmas and I'm inclined to let him do it, but wanted to make sure I'm not crazy or missing out on some important safety point that would make it totally unreasonable for a kid to use a climber. I've never been much of a tree stand guy myself - used a ladder stand for a few seasons years ago, and have used an old, old climber a few times years ago. 

We've hunted a friend's property for a few years who has a couple of 2 man ladder stands set up that we've sat in together while he was on the mentored tag. I absolutely HATE climbing anything (step ladder to change a light bulb, climbing on an extension ladder, etc - although I'm OK once I get up where I'm going. It's just the climbing part I hate), but I've done it for him. Now that he's 12, I sent him up a few times during gun season on his own while I sat at the base of a nearby tree where we could still be in verbal communication according to the law. 

One thing I don't like about the ladder stands is that there's really not a good way that I can think of to effectively use a harness on the way up and the way down, given the distance to the tree from the ladder and the supports. 

So when it comes to the climber, I'm inclined to get it for him because:
1. He's got a great harness system with all the appropriate stuff to stay tethered on the way up and down. I'd also invest in one of those Spider systems for him. From that regard, it seems safer than climbing a 15' ladder stand with no real means to stay tethered on the climb.

2. He's incredibly athletic and very strong. Absolutely no concerns about his ability to physically use one with me supervising. I've used them a few times many years ago and am familiar with them. Of course we'd spend plenty of time learning to use it properly. 

3. Now that he's 12, he's very well schooled on loading his own rifle during deer season and knows how to put a bolt safely in the crossbow. No concerns with his ability to that, once he's up and safely situated. Knows how to use the rope to pull the weapon up and lower it down and knows never to raise or lower a weapon that's loaded, or to climb with one. 

4. I'd be very close by at all times, either in the pop up blind or sitting at the base of a tree. 

5. I'd let him get up about 12-15' max till he showed me he can do this consistently safely for a few years. 

6. We hunt several different properties and many different spots on those properties and don't have the $ to invest in a bunch of hang on stands right now. The ladder stands on the one property we hunt are nice, but it would be nice to hunt some other parts of that property as well. 

So, for you guys that know climbers well and use 'em a lot, am I nuts? Missing out on something important that would make this an absolute no-go for him? Or is it something that could work well for him?

6 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Climbing Stand for a Youth Hunter 2015/12/14 11:07:41 (permalink)
    I would say you have "all your ducks in a row" including "just being a dad" when it comes to being concerned.

No need to mention "safety first" and "follow the MFG.s directions" in your case so, I'll mention comfort as being next because becoming uncomfortable becomes unsafe.  

I should also suggest actual target practice from the stand and discussion regarding points of arrow contact on deer standing at different angles as well as distance.  For instance, on a textbook broadside shot, what pin would be used to shoot a deer standing at 20 yds. from the base of a tree when the platform is 15 ft. in the air?  With a ladder or fixed stand, your height is pretty much known, with a climber, well sometimes we might need to get just a little higher and that's when the 20 yd. pin is no longer good for "20 yds".  Plus, aiming behind the shoulder becomes a less forgiving spot to shoot at because of the trajectory angle.  This is why "aim small, shoot small" becomes so important; ya have to be able to spot and shoot the right location ensuring a quick kill.

I'm no expert, when it comes to climbers that's for certain but being a parent, I know it's far better for your boy to learn from you than screwing around with a buddy that may have a climber.  You'll have far better piece of mind knowing your boy knows right from wrong when his buddy(s) tell him something wrong.  He can say no to something he knows is not right because he can say BTDT with my dad!

Thanks for bringing back some memories, one tends to forget some of the little things we enjoyed doing with our kids.  Including the worries.

PS. Tell your boy I said he has a good dad......  10-4!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Climbing Stand for a Youth Hunter 2015/12/14 11:15:52 (permalink)
    Don't use a climber, so I can be of no help there. But with regard to hooking a harness when using a ladder stand, they sell ropes that have a sliding knot (prussic, I believe) which attaches to the tree at the top and the ladder at the bottom. Clip onto the knot and slide it up as you go. If you were to fall, that type of knot grips right where it is at.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Climbing Stand for a Youth Hunter 2015/12/14 13:19:42 (permalink)
    BTDT, practice both using the stand and shooting from it will be the first order of business for sure!  My in laws have a great yard for that, just a few miles away.  And it's a place we hunt occasionally during archery season.  

I have read though and heard from others, that at 15' or less on relatively flat terrain, that the need to compensate for height while shooting a crossbow bolt at 320 fps is pretty negligible at 30 yards or less, although perhaps I stand to be corrected.  On another site, a few guys made a very simple suggestion to cut or tie off the hoist rope no higher than I want him to go.  So that will be 15', although he'd probably shimmy up to 30' if I let him.  

We have covered, and go over every time in the field, shots at deer in different positions.  Although he's only ever shot at 1 deer with the crossbow (where I BADLY underestimated the distance, before I had a rangefinder) he knows his shot is broadside or slightly quartering away.  

My wife - his mom - is a pediatric physical therapist and in 15 years has seen her fair share of kids who have been badly injured because they have been allowed to do stupid stuff.  We rarely leave home on a hunt or fishing trip that I don't hear, "Take care of my babies," even though this particular "baby" is now 5'4" and 120 pounds.  And, as I sometimes remind her, they are my babies too.  I'm pretty cautious by nature and safety in the outdoors is always the first order of business for us.  

DarDys, thanks for that suggestion.  I'll definitely look into those if we're going to be spending time in our friends' ladder stands again.  
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: Climbing Stand for a Youth Hunter 2015/12/14 13:33:53 (permalink)
    Dave,
    +1 for what Dardys said for the Lifelines.  Cheap protection for the fixed position stands.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety-System-Life-Line/dp/B001E35VU6 

I have a spare hang on stand if you want it for him; you would just have to get some climbing sticks or be somewhere you were allowed to use screw in steps.   Still need a lifeline for it though. 
    Comfy side by side ladder would still be my recommendation.  I am in the market for one too for the same reason.

But for a climber, aluminum summit viper or similar sit and climb model would be the best.  I have a summit bushmaster and want/need the open front for archery/vertical bow but if you are cross bowing, the rail would be a benefit.  I can have mine off my back and on the tree, in the dark, in less then 2 minutes but i have been using it for over ten years.  Once you learn them and practice with them, they are safe, easy and fast.

Pro Angler
    Re: Climbing Stand for a Youth Hunter 2015/12/14 14:17:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the offer Justin.  

We hunt a couple different properties, and several different spots on one bigger property, so the investment in a single climber over a couple of ladder stands or multiple blinds makes more sense for us at this point.  

On the other site, got a lot of good suggestions on models to look at.  Definitely was looking at the sit and climb models anyway, with a shooting rail for the crossbow or gun.  Haven't heard from any experienced hunters who say it's a bad idea, including some friends I've talked to.  

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Climbing Stand for a Youth Hunter 2015/12/14 17:47:59 (permalink)
    No matter what brand or model, Common Sense is the very first safety rule, than comes read the instructions that come with the unit. This I know as a fact, second or third time I used my Summit I forgot to check the rope that connects the two pieces together. Long story short its NO fun getting out of the Top half, hanging on for dear life while trying to get to the ground. First thing to teach your son is No Short Cuts and Never Assume! Good hunting and good luck to you and your son!
    Jump to: