ELK CREEK River Conditions Please

Author
lambton
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/13 14:23:38 (permalink)

ELK CREEK River Conditions Please

Travelling a great distance to visit the Elk.  Concerned about the amount of rain that fell on PA yesterday.  CAn anyone please offer me an accurate condition report on the level and visibility the Elk has right now.

many thanks in advance
best regards

7 Replies Related Threads

mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: ELK CREEK River Conditions Please 2007/04/13 16:20:40 (permalink)
    In Mckean/I-79- Near perfect level, some color.  Conditions should be fine for opening day if thats what your asking about. 
    lambton
    New Angler
    RE: ELK CREEK River Conditions Please 2007/04/13 17:01:52 (permalink)
    Thanks mgolf92,
    Actually we are heading down for Sunday and Monday fishing.  We are centerpin steelheaders.  We will be primarily be targeting fresh steelies near the mouth.  We may venture up near Iron Bridge if the water levels are fine and the water is not too clear.
    Question:
    What exactly is trout opener?  Are there resident rainbows or browns in the Elk that people can now fish for?  What is the differance between trout and steelhead in the eyes of the DNR (not sure what the fish and wildlife police are called in PA)
    I heard they stock trout specifically for opener.
    thanks,
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: ELK CREEK River Conditions Please 2007/04/13 18:07:30 (permalink)
    They do stock for "opener" specifically.  They were stocked today in McKean.  All steelhead, trout and salmon are considered equal as far as regulations go.  You can keep three total, of at least 9 inches starting tomorrow morning.  There are really no resident fish, whatever trout do manage to survive, generally head into the lake and come back years later(this is very few fish).  I think you may have difficulty steelheading.  There are not large numbers of fresh fish, or fish at all for that matter.  It will most likely be on the clear side by monday and sunday.  I hope I was able to help.

Mike
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: ELK CREEK River Conditions Please 2007/04/13 20:15:01 (permalink)
    "Question:
    What exactly is trout opener?"

Opening season for trout prut near everwhere in Pa.

"Are there resident rainbows or browns in the Elk that people can now fish for?"

No fishing for 32 hours before the opener tomorrow (sat 14 April) at 8am.
    As 92 mentioned, no resident trout in Elk.
    Too warm in the  summer.

I haven't been across the boarder in a month or more, but from past years experience, the "residents" at this time of year in Elk are tired, beat up, moldy hold over steelies, thousands and thousands of smolts (little rainbows that will head out to the lake to grow up to be steelies), some fresh jacks (young steelies) might get lucky and pick a up a few fresh Ohio or NY steelie strays that got lost, truck loads of small Browns they just dumped in for the opener tomorrow.
    Oh, and mucho suckers too

"What is the differance between trout and steelhead in the eyes of the DNR "

nothing, a Rainbow and steelie are the same
    There are some different regs specific to the Erie tribs, though.

"(not sure what the fish and wildlife police are called in PA) "

Pennsylvania  Fish and Boat Commision

"I heard they stock trout specifically for opener."

you heard right 

Here's some info on regs

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fact_fast_trout.htm

If you don't mind sharing, where are you traveling from?

..L.T.A.
    lambton
    New Angler
    RE: ELK CREEK River Conditions Please 2007/04/13 21:01:45 (permalink)
    We are travelling from Ontario, Canada. 
    We fished the Elk a few weeks back for steelhead and did rather well.  I witnessed people taking fish.  That is where my questions re: trout and steelhead and the "trout opener" stem from.  I was confused as to how one could fish for steelhead and keep them when trout season is closed.  LOL!!!
    I dont' keep any fish thus no need to dive too far into the regs.  I fish 3 US states and the Province of Ontario.  I can't remember what I ate for dinner 2 days ago let alone the intricate details of each states regs.  Just remember enough to stay on the right side of the fence ;0)

We intend on targeting the juvenile 2-4lb chromers we experienced in the deep water sections near the mouth.
    Will I be safe to presume those pods of chromers will still be present at the mouth and in to the boat ramp.
    We are avid die hard centrepinners.  Just looking for a good time, few fish and another great PA experience.

P.S. is the river level up any?  I am not too concerned about it being clear.  Just want enough water to fish.

qsbill
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: ELK CREEK River Conditions Please 2007/04/13 21:10:56 (permalink)
    Elk Creek Access: 6:30 pm. (e.s.t.)
    Elk running swiftly, light brown color, starting to clear. Should be very fishable by morning with good flow. Rain expected later in the day Sat., dress warm, we may get snow by Sunday in Erie!
    Fish safe, tight lines.
    Bill
    Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: ELK CREEK River Conditions Please 2007/04/13 21:21:33 (permalink)
    I talked to you guys in the parking lot. It's not like it was then. There are very few chromers now and the birds took over the mouth. waste of time coming IMO. If I was you head to NY salmon river or Oswego. My bro lives in pulaski and has been slamming dropbacks and some chromers in the fly zone salmon river.
    Jump to: