SPECIAL DRIFT BOAT OPERATOR WARNING! 9/16/15 Water 350cfs (Hd of School and Fraziers)

Author
YankeeAngler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points: 0
2015/09/16 10:53:21 (permalink)

SPECIAL DRIFT BOAT OPERATOR WARNING! 9/16/15 Water 350cfs (Hd of School and Fraziers)

SPECIAL DRIFT BOAT OPERATOR WARNING!
Please pass this warning along to those that should know it, it might save a life!
If you running your drift boat between Altmar and Pineville, DO NOT run river left (the normal way) at the head of  Fraziers! (left side of island) New BIG tree in shallow narrow area at head you cant get by and will be risking your life if you try to run it presently. Suggest anchoring above island, walk river left and right and give it a good review on how your going to run or walk your boat down. River right has 4 things that you will need to look at and study before trying to float it. It is schetchy and needs to be run perfectly! Slightest mistake and you'll wish you had walked your boat down it first time or rowed it yourself with no one in the boat.

Rowing River Right Above Head of Fraziers - Island - (w/over 25 years full-time Pro. drift boat rowing experince)
1 - The current wants to suck you into the corner bank with over hanging trees, with lil water to dig your oars to row away from it.
2 - Your anchor might not hold in the current with very loose small gravel in an emergency stop.
3 - You'll have lil to no water to dig your oars at bottom, critical.
4 - Throw in 5 anglers fishing @ bottom corner and you will either run them over or get pushed into more dangerous waters.
5 - Your****end of boat could easily rub the shallow gravel, there by swinging the boat around, with lil to no water to dig your oars to make a quick 1 second correction, before the next hazard.
6 - You will only have 1 deep dig on your oars in deep water to make correction, 1 second before you WOULD hit a BIG tree stump that protrudes into the middle of a small fast white water funnel at bottom that wants to suck you into it.
I COULD tell you a nasty and scary story about that tree stump that someone else hit HARD, but I wont.
If this post saves 1 persons life or at least causes you to stop and really look at it first, before rowing it, then its been worth my time and energy in writing this. (Water was 350 cfs) Randy Jones - Salmon River NY Guide

ALSO! If floating into the head of schoolhouse in the dark, you better have your lights on as there is a BIG tree stretching 1/2 way across the river in the fast water and you could easily flip your boat and drowned if you run into it and or get your feet stuck in it as you swim - float underneath it. Need to get on your oars to row around it.

Thanks to all of you who have already gotten this out!
I think... that if a tree is a hazard to navigation. Then the D.E.C. is contacted and comes out and cuts it? Since you can row around the head of schoolhouse tree and the head of  Fraziers (river right - sketchy!!! - or walk your boat down), not sure if these trees qualify.
I contacted Fran V. who is the Salmon River Coordinator who has D.E.C. connections and other 20 plus year guides that have connections and other ways to get this message out to others.

I maybe over reacting, but after I spotted the NEW tree at head of fraziers, anchored, walked it and looked at both sides. And many-many years of watching many drift boat - water craft rowers totally row the river -ss backwards, endangering everyone's lives. (Scares the HELL out of me as Im the one down river, getting ready to rescue them) And the sometimes yearly drift boat flipping over by NEW rowers.

I'll sleep better knowing I did what I could to possibly save someone from getting injured or worse. Randy Jones - Salmon River Guide

1 Reply Related Threads

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: SPECIAL DRIFT BOAT OPERATOR WARNING! 9/16/15 Water 350cfs (Hd of School and Fraziers) 2015/09/16 11:21:32 (permalink)
    Safety first randy. I found an oar in the woods two springs ago from a drift boat catastrophe... So it does happen. Too many boats on the river these days in my opinion
    Jump to: