WATER ????

Author
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
  • Reward points: 0
2015/08/20 09:53:16 (permalink)

WATER ????

Anyone have any input on the water level above the dam? Back in June I did n't think that would be a concern but with this dry weather it might be?

27 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/20 10:57:13 (permalink)
    I don't jack but will take a ride up during the week.
    Everything is pretty darn low up there though. Little salmon ( where boat is ) is a lot lower then a few weeks ago. Grindstone is a trickle .
    They are expecting heavy rains and flash floods tonight though. It will help but I'm sure everything will run off quick and be absorbed quick.
    I guess this is do or die week for us. We will be back 3 more weekends but if they ain't around this week I fear it will be combat fishing the following weekends close to shore so we will probably go offshore 200-400 fow and search for steelhead & browns .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3067
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/20 11:48:19 (permalink)
    Good luck Rich- hope ya find them. Sounds like a great trip.
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/20 13:04:43 (permalink)
    You're due. The price has been paid. Now time for your paycheck. Good luck out there.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/20 19:43:29 (permalink)
    I have not been up there personally, but from what I hear the rest is a bit low but not bad for this time of year. This round of storms this week should fill it up nicely for this time of year. I expect normal flows for the fall.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/20 21:20:12 (permalink)
    Good steady soaker this evening. Upper res is low but probably not a labr day dam release cancellation type low. This soaker that just came through definitely did something. Luckily June was wet for the reservoirs sake. Otherwise everything is drier than I've ever seen . I think folaston will report fish being caught tomorrow
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/22 14:06:43 (permalink)
    Folaston?
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/22 17:12:51 (permalink)
    Lucky13
    Folaston?

Probably tried to type Douglaston. Phones are hard to type on

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/22 18:45:02 (permalink)
    The water is at a whopping 185 release. I hope the fall ain't another pizz trickle.
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/22 19:37:00 (permalink)
    It's been a pretty quiet summer for tropical storms , hurricanes. Hopefully that doesn't mean we're getting set up for something bad.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/22 20:25:02 (permalink)
    T/S or Hurricane Danny might bring a good soaker our way.  We should know by next weekend whether it will be a hit or miss.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/23 08:12:32 (permalink)
    Clint S
    Lucky13Folaston?

Probably tried to type Douglaston. Phones are hard to type on 

Stupid spell check... Probably left the g out on accident but yes Douglaston :)
    Yukbug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/24 20:42:07 (permalink)
    The SRR is low. The boat launch at Jackson Rd is exposed completely with 20+ feet til the water starts. Been that way since July when they let 750 cfs out a couple of weekends. LHH always looks about normal however. Makes me mad, however bc my wife and I bought a run a bout 15' Starcraft and I was just getting good with launching! Haven't had it out again since July...I'll forget how to maneuver the bloody trailer! It did force me to learn the Spey credo, "the swing is the thing, but the tug is the drug!" Fished the UFZ hard in August...just smallies and chubs. Thanks to Ken (and Emily), I now have a respectable Snap T and Single Spey. Looking forward to swinging in a river with fish!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/24 21:22:04 (permalink)
     5 years ago in the upper I hooked a skam on an orange comet at the end of August. Got a couple of jumps. Swinging flies is fun, and i do it when I can , but I try to let other people fish the way they want to and fish in close to allow it. I have no problem sending casts to the far bank and working 90' of line, but not when there's people nymphing below me. 2 Spey guys can't expect  to rotate when there's a dozen fishing the seam in front of their faces.   It's also bogus to rip the heck out of the water in the tail of a pool and send every fish that is trying to transition into it running for the hills. End of rant. With this low water going into the fall, I'm afraid  the lack of water will put more concentrations of people in conflict.  We'll see.  I'm just hoping for more water in late Nov. Dec. and some early snows to keep the walk in spots a little harder to get to.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/25 12:59:25 (permalink)
    Never understood where and how frothing the water became mandatory with spey and switch rods??? I try to keep the line as light on the water with both my d loop and forward roll.
    Yukbug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/25 18:18:02 (permalink)
    I agree. I was a one trick pony using a single Spey which really doesn't disturb the water at all. I forced myself to practice the Snap T to look cool;) I will say that the Snap T works better when the flow is right to left, otherwise the single Spey gets 're done. You're right Fichy, when things get tight, I'll just walk to get some room. Last year, before I bought my 2-handed rod, I shared a small portion of a stretch of the SR at Pineville with a younger guy. I didn't crowd him and he didn't swing below me. We exchanged courtesies in the beginning and everybody had a good time. It can be done!
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/25 20:13:33 (permalink)
    Being aware of surroundings is key. I built my first two handed rod in 99/2k... Sometime around there. Shared plenty of water amongst other two handers or singles with no problems. Courtesy and experience both go a long way. Yuk bug: try switching up your hands on your cork when downstream contradicts your comfort level. Its easier than you may think. As for frothing the water, I try to lift my rod tip and pull up steam after my butt end is at surface. This allows a soft pull in which your butt falls just below you with little effort and little froth effect. Followed by down stream swoop, d loop... Forward roll and my line mostly stays on top of and out of the water 50% of the time. No froth at all...Hope this helps
    post edited by dimebrite2 - 2015/08/25 20:14:44
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/26 07:50:35 (permalink)
    Low water could put the night runners that 2 bob and I found all over the place last October (and the hatchery managers found every AM in the raceway, guaranteeing sufficient egg take from the 2014-15 production) in jeopardy, and lead to petting zoo curtailment or who knows what other draconian restrictions to insure adequate egg bearing females reach the hatchery.  I also think it is time for this fantasy that NY nonresident fees are too high to come to an end; a friend just went up to the Georgian Bay for a week and an NR Tag there was 60 bucks, plus additional fees and method charges.  Check out prices for a week on the Gaspe or New Brunswick (where rotation is mandatory on many pools, mark my word, the Spey Nationals will have this in parts of SR yet), and also remember you have to have a guide in most of those places as an NR.  The "exalted one" changes the license process mid-year, and the conservation fund is in the hole again, with more money diverted to the general fund on the promise of greater sales that did not happen.  And if you need a new license, plan to buy it way before the old one expires as the DECALS system has been regularly crashing.  Up in the daks, three parties who wanted one day licenses got a system down message when I was in to get an annual for my daughter. Do you think they refrained from fishing for the day?  We changed our plans that day and got her the tag the next day, but that was possible money to the system that went out the window to a computer glitch.

All right, enough rant, off to work.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/26 10:14:27 (permalink)
    It's about 5' lower then normal

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/26 10:14:40 (permalink)
    Lucky, I think the problem with the present Decals system has a lot to do with the new company.  NYSDEC has had problems since the "new" system (company) was implemented last year.  DEC promised the system was fixed but apparently not.  As a lifetime license holder I usually received my new license and tags in July, not the case the last two years.  Last year I didn't received my license/tags until the end of August well after they went on sale.  The same has happened this year.  I called NYSDEC this past Monday and was told there was a glitch in the system.  I was also told that the licenses/tags would be mailed shortly (within the next week) and that I could apply for DMU tags online or at a licensing agent without my new license.

Licensing agents need to have a fall back position of the old tried and true hand written license in the event the system is down.  In any event don't wait until you get into Pulaski to purchase a license.  Better to be safe than sorry especially if you run into an over zealous DEC officer who doesn't want to hear the "I have a note from my mother" excuse.

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/26 11:33:39 (permalink)
    I think 2012 was much less water in the reservoir as well as 2013 compared to this years reservoir level. I think 2013 was 14 feet below at this point. In the past I noticed low water would usually hold most fish below the joss hole or wall pool and commonly fish would run up and go back down. Of course stragglers would go through. Last year was not that case. As for egg take at the hatchery, I never did and never will judge a salmon season off of the that info based on my findings through the years... Was it 07 when they fell short of eggd??? I think it was... That year was 100 cfs til middle November... And yes, in a quick assumption, there were 10 fold the amount of salmon in 07 than there was last year
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/26 12:44:45 (permalink)
    Yes db, 2007 was a super low water but we hit a mother load of fish in the DSR on many days. I was still working the system then . While you said it seemed like more salmon the the worst year ever last season , I agree to a point .
    It was a phenomenal season in the DSR due to the fact the water was super low and the fish packed in the lower river and stayed put . It really was the only game I. Town to fish down there which seemed like ( and it was ) crazy with fish everywhere .
    I just don't see how the fishery is going to rebound so quickly in 1 year to make this season a " better " one.
    I feel there is going to be a huge change and swing in the Great Lake . You will see LOT s of lake trout again in the rivers in the fall. I believe the state & Feds are working very hard to establish a full blown laker fishery again in efforts on goby control as well as natural reproduction which in turn reduces stocking costs in the future. Think about it , salmon live 2-4 years and do nothing to control the goby. Lakers live 10 plus and are just gorging themselves on the goby .
    Oh well time will tell and we will still be scratching our heads trying to figure out their answers

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/26 13:01:51 (permalink)
    I agree tuna... 99/2000 were breaking points for many guides and businesses... Many left town saying the salmon are too small and not enough...but it did come back... Took some time but it did come back better than ever.

In reference to last season, I don't/can't say it was the worse severe... But it was the worst I ever saw in 26 seasons...
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/26 18:34:26 (permalink)
    The laker program comes from a desire to reestablish the native predator, same for Atlantics.  There are some at the Federal level that would encourage abandonment of the Pacific program if it would mean better survival and recruitment of the lakers; be thankful that NYSDEC is holding to a "we can have both" policy.  All this is detailed in the Fish Community Objectives on the DEC website.  I know the year that the lakers took over the last couple of holes in DSR, they were a nice diversion from fruitlessly casting for the one or two steelies coming through each day; this was back when Mike and Connie were still around.  We rarely encounter a laker in the fall in the Genny, and the smaller tribs I fish are too far from the lake when they get the fishable flows.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/26 19:07:33 (permalink)
    My objective out here in the 5 year program will be figuring out the laker fishery on the lake . Some guys say its easy , I think they are easy on lake George on ice .
    The DEC , Great Lakes association are not going to let the Pacific's wane , they ( IMO ) are trying to come up with a sustain program right now . Lakers are fed $$$ , salmon is state . Invasive are state issues from the Feds .
    I just want to catch a fish in the big sea

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/26 19:09:51 (permalink)
    Lucky, they took over Altmar in 97!!! Loved the mike and Connie days. Wish is was still like that down there
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/27 07:56:17 (permalink)
    97 was when the Steel was way down, and due to work and family, I was pretty well out.  And as long as Mike and Connie were down below, and the Senator was still honoring what we were told in the beginning of DSR, that access to a publicly created fishery would remain reasonable in price, I was paying for the day ticket, so I didn't really see Altmar back then.    Hindsight being 20-20, I should have kept a journal, but I thought my "steel trap" memory would remain sharp forever.  2soon old,2 late shmart!
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: WATER ???? 2015/08/27 11:29:15 (permalink)
    Lucky I'm right with ya. Wish I had been keeping a journal all of these years. 97 really shaped me in to steelhead fishing looking back. Lakers were everywhere and I was often fishing 4-6 different spots a day in search of chrome. 17 and innocent I was. Old '84 bronco 2... Death runs on Saturday nights to fish all day Sunday and come home. Those were the days. Put many steel on the bank that year. Kept my 2nd trout from the system ever ...12 pound brown I put on the wall. Kept my first steel back in 92 but was strictly catch and release after that
    Jump to: