Sunless solstice

Author
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Reward points: 0
2015/06/23 06:26:05 (permalink)

Sunless solstice

Woke up in the tent with the rain pounding the fly in sheets and a river running under and around it. So much for setting up in the dark. Our floor leaked a bit, but nothing too bad, considering. Off we went at 5 am  to fish the outgoing tide. I fished most of 2 outgoing cycles and managed a few dozen fish. It was the first time in 2 years I could reach a blitz with birds wheeling and fish swirling in the fog from shore. Well, not quite, but could reach some outliers with 100' casts. I've now got a secret big fish hang out, but the problem is I can't even come close to landing them. This one made my 10 wt. feel like a twig and almost broke a finger the reel was spinning so hard. It snapped  20 lb. tippet , rolling and tail slapping 100 yds. out.  In the  first picture there's a tan houseboat. It made it to the side of it.  That's a s close as I got. It was a LARGE fish. Oh, well, as Nancy said, it was better to have at least hooked it. Hopefully next trip some blues will have arrived. Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

9 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Sunless solstice 2015/06/23 07:53:06 (permalink)
    Awesome!
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3067
    Re: Sunless solstice 2015/06/23 08:23:30 (permalink)
    Fun stuff- nice
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Sunless solstice 2015/06/23 10:36:26 (permalink)
    What body of water is that,not specific just general?
    That looks like a good time Charlie!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Sunless solstice 2015/06/23 13:02:26 (permalink)
    Seems like you got those stripers dialed right in .. Awesome job and great report :)

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Sunless solstice 2015/06/23 17:07:53 (permalink)
    Good to see you got into them. The Hudson is starting to heat up got about a dozen on the fly last night. First time fly fishing in the kayak. It's a little different for sure. But very rewarding caught a monster crappy on a popper.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Sunless solstice 2015/06/23 17:57:12 (permalink)
    pafisher
    What body of water is that,not specific just general?
    That looks like a good time Charlie!

Cape Ann, Massachusetts. It's north of Boston and includes Gloucester. It's a very beautiful place and if I could afford it, I'd live there and work on the water.  Nancy and  I got married on a beach there, Jack.  We caught stripers and ate in a clam shack for our reception. I guess I knew it was a good one when I hooked a striper first cast right in front of the boardwalk over the dunes we were married on.  Some years, I've spent 30 plus days over there and we've been doing it for 25.  HT, I do have it  pretty well dialed in- it's the one fishery I can honestly say I know and can fish well. Doesn't mean they don't shut off at times, but I have plans b, c, and d, thanks to all the study and time put in. I also pick my tides.  We've contemplated moving to Ca, AZ, or NM in recent years, but this stretch of coast plays a big roll in keeping us on the right side of the country. My first serious years on the SR were great, too. Tailing off now, though, not because of the fish or great friends I've made!, because of the F'in azzhats that clog the river like the trash they leave behind. Some of them are wearing Simms and fishing Sage, it ain't  about the money. Sorry for the long winded answer, Jack.  You've always got the offer of a guided tour and guided fishing any time you get a hankerin' for some salty fish.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3067
    Re: Sunless solstice 2015/06/23 19:14:01 (permalink)
    That's some COLD water up that way.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Sunless solstice 2015/06/23 21:35:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the pictorial and sharing your adventures with us Charlie. 

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Sunless solstice 2015/06/23 22:06:37 (permalink)
    Great read Charlie and glad you folks still enjoy the bliss :)
    There are places in this country that we all cherish , some far west or south but I do enjoy the closeness of the fabulous fisheries and scenic opportunities within a half days drive .. Honestly never see myself moving out of NYS . I will endure the winters in a heated shanty , spend the springs on the mighty Hudson and in the adirondack park , summers on the Great Lake of Ontario with vacations to the coast for some sweet salty clams and my falls in the Catskill mountains hunting .
    The thrill of me wearing Simms waders and carrying a sage fly rod on the tribs has passed , it waned many years ago but I feel a trip with 3 fan made up for what I missed this season aside from the friendships .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Jump to: