Nice weekend!

Author
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Reward points: 0
2015/06/08 07:06:45 (permalink)

Nice weekend!

Hope everyone enjoyed the good weather. I got to see my friends little girl pull in her first fish, which ended up being a 13" bass. The sunnies and gills weren't cooperating in midday when we finally got to go, but a few bass did. Her Dad had a good time, and enjoyed the fishing , too. He picked it up very quickly and can probably take her on his own, now. Yesterday evening I went to a Vt. river that has more wild than stocked, and is usually hit or miss by June for the planters. This fat  wild brown hit a swung pheasant and partridge soft hackle (I do the same thing for trout as I do salmon and steel, only on a smaller scale) and put up a great fight for a 16" fish. The tail was pretty large on it and it took some good runs.  I looked around at the river, which is very picturesque in the stretch I fished and  was glad I went. It's getting harder to remember winter.Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

19 Replies Related Threads

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/08 09:23:53 (permalink)
    Excellent.  I took a ride to the Housatonic Thursday afternoon but the river was still roiled and running near 1500 CFS, too heavy for my liking.  I did notice some bugs on the water, yellow sallies and caddis.  I hope to try again later this week provided the T-storms don't dump too much rain.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/08 17:37:22 (permalink)
    That is a very nice Brown Charlie,I know you handled better than HT did his.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/09 00:33:33 (permalink)
    Back at ya Charlie, that is a beauty !! Love the shoulders and what a whale tail, deep long runs they do. The bows I got were aerial and tired themselves out quick.
    Kudos for taking a father and daughter fishing as well and from the sounds of it even uglyfish got in on the action
    Yup, winter is becoming a fading memory .. Good to hear and see folks are out fishing... How boutcha Db & Tb .. get some boys !! I know Clint is  :)

Long, don't like Mondays at work: Till the next adventure , cant wait for the report Charlie

post edited by hot tuna - 2015/06/09 00:35:10

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/09 07:23:30 (permalink)
    that is one heck of a brown Charlie nice job!
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/10 07:13:02 (permalink)
    My season had been a bust, a total of 5 fish, landed until Sunday night.  Bugs have been s[potty , most fishers in WNY were beginning to believe the mergansers had wiped out all the trout in the local honey hole, Oatka Creek, as well as Spring Brook, site of the Caledonia fish Hatchery.  Spring brook is pretty much cleaned out, even the sticklebacks were impacted, but Oatka had enough ice cover to hamper the birds, which would normally winter on Lake Ontario or the Finger Lakes, but all were frozen over.  I had spent many evenings watching a rise here and a rise there, with maybe a 10 minute flurry right at dark for the spinner falls.  Friday, I drove out, got geared up, walked to the stream and got in, and got blown right out by a t-storm and deluge.  So I was not optimistic when I competed chores around 5:30 PM Sunday and took the `1/2 hour drive.  I got down to the stream at about 6:30, and immediately regretted not leaving earlier.  The long flat that greets the arriving angler was alive with rise forms, many very frequent and regular, a dry fly fishers; dream.  I had a 16 parachute sulpher on my six weight.  I could not see anything on the water,  but now is sulpher time, and this payed off well.  When the hatch slowed down I had missed about a dozen and landed 6 others, a couple around 12", respectable fish in the no kill Wild fish section of the stream.   The lull lasted about a half hour, during which I switched to a 2 weight with an 18 rusty spinner, but this was not the ticket.  As the intensity picked up, and from the frequent relaxed rises, obviously for spinners, I was not scoring, so I switched back to the six with the 16.  The fish didn't care that the parachute was, by the book, a dun pattern; and I rose another half dozen and managed to hook two, the second being a nice 16"er,  As it was too dark to see and the sounds said the fish were sated, and I am still attending work on weekdays, I headed home.  Of course, now that the switch has been thrown, it has rained every PM, and the flow is up to where dry fly fishing is less than productive.  Maybe this Friday night!    
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/10 07:13:56 (permalink)
    Got rained  (showers and replacing windows don't mix) out yesterday afternoon, so I took a long   walk through a series of cornfields and got into a  secluded, rarely fished spot on the Battenkill. Got a couple of holdovers of 15 and 17 and some smaller models. Was very happy to see young-of -the -year  browns, too. If I'm gonna catch some dinks, these are the ones I like to see. The deluge and wind just started as I got back to the truck. Would have been worth the soaking. I keep seeing ghosts as I fish. All the memories from friends now gone, and the changes to the river make me feel a little strange when I fish my home river. I always wondered why some of the older guys I know stopped fishing it, when at one time they hit their favorite pools like clockwork. Now, I think I understand. 
    Get that boat out to the big water, HT. I want to see some real fish.
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/10 08:10:34 (permalink)
    Charlie what the storms do to the Battenkill last night? We got it bad here in saratoga.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/10 14:48:52 (permalink)
    High and stained.
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/10 16:35:50 (permalink)
    Thanks you saved me a trip till Friday night or Saturday morning. Let me know if your interested.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/12 07:26:18 (permalink)
    fichy
     I keep seeing ghosts as I fish.

Boy, can I relate to that.  The only places I can go without being pursued by these memories is where I have basically always fished alone in the 'daks, and new water.  Trout fishing in western NY brings memories of long evening hatch and spinner fall trips with Leigh Condit, who also looks over my shoulder every time I hike into the Genesee.  And the Salmon River brings memories of Keith Smith, one of the finest anglers and guides ever on the river, and a fine human being.  I know 2B gets a double dose as he knew Gary Johnson quite well, I only got to fish with Gary a couple of times as I was working and in night school during his prime time on the river.  And, although as far as I know he is still alive, I'm always reminded of the great times with the Moose, even if we did not fish together much because he was always taxiing clients when we were staying with him over at Sportsman's.  I have heard that a past affinity for Mexican worms and the accumulated stresses of running a McKenzie for so many years while guiding, and then the fight on the Oak for what he thought were the same free enterprise rights as are afforded to connected ex-politicians on the Salmon have kept him in warmer climes.  But he still haunts the Bovines every fall. 

It is only going to get worse, until we'll be out there guarding the secret spots.

L13
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/12 08:19:58 (permalink)
    Or we just move on lucky to keep the cycle in full circle. I have fond memories of the western cats and tribs of the upper Delaware system with ghosts
    post edited by dimebrite2 - 2015/06/12 08:21:12
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/12 08:46:41 (permalink)
    It is only going to get worse, until we'll be out there guarding the secret spots.

True that, Lucky.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/12 12:06:42 (permalink)
    "But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep."
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/12 14:28:01 (permalink)
    Gerry, please no snow references until at least Sept.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/13 11:22:37 (permalink)
    A few B'kill pics. Wayne and I had a good evening last night, and finished just before the rain. The photos omit the most picturesque part of that big pool, which is an abandoned mill with marble walls.
    Maybe the heat index won't go through the roof and the fishing will continue for awhile. We also fished an area behind an Art Museum that is a hidden gem. I usually don't give a rat's azz for scenery if I'm catching fish, but sometimes it's a pleasant distraction. 

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/13 20:32:00 (permalink)
    What hatches are you seeing? Spinners?  Looks like great water for a Palomino midge or serendipity pattern.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/13 20:36:17 (permalink)
    The only improvement on those pics would've been if the chartist was there....Nice photos
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/14 07:25:27 (permalink)
    troutbum21
    What hatches are you seeing? Spinners?  Looks like great water for a Palomino midge or serendipity pattern.

Chicken dinner, Gerry. Midge heaven in that pool, unfortunately most are in the <32 range. There was also some sporadic tan caddis which provided better opportunities. The hatches have been very sporadic and mixed up, just like the weather. Has the Housy and Croton had any consistency?
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Nice weekend! 2015/06/14 08:38:18 (permalink)
    Housy has been a mix of green caddis, yellow sallies, Iso's and Cahill's.  I haven't heard of sulphurs but I'm sure they are around.  The spinner fall is in my opinion the best time to be on the Housy but that entails fishing well after dark.  Big browns & bows when that happens. 
    I haven't seen much on the Croton when I've stopped.  Midge's are always prevalent with Griffith's gnats being a deadly pattern as is a gray serendipity.  BWO's are also a go to fly.  In a couple of weeks the Trico hatch should be on but that can be as frustrating as it is rewarding. 
    Jump to: