Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2015/04/11 19:46:57 (permalink)

MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ====

MENTORED YOUTH 7 AND OLDER TO RECEIVE DEER, TURKEY TAGS

All ages can continue to hunt deer, turkey and select other species.

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today gave final approval to a measure that will require any antlered deer or turkey harvested by a Mentored Youth hunter younger than 7 to be taken with valid harvest tags provided by his or her adult mentor.

Antlered deer and spring turkey harvest tags would be issued only as part of the Mentored Youth Hunting Permits issued to Mentored Youth ages 7 through 11.

There still is no minimum age to participate in Pennsylvania’s Mentored Youth Hunting Program.

And there is no minimum age for Mentored Youth to hunt deer and turkey.

The transfer of an adult mentor’s tag to a Mentored Youth hunter is not new to the Mentored Youth Hunting Program. In fact, any harvests of antlerless deer or fall turkeys by Mentored Youth hunters must be taken with valid harvest tags provided by an adult mentor.

In voting to approve the measure, the commissioners noted their continuing concerns over purported harvests by extremely young Mentored Youth that, in actuality, are unlawful harvests by their adult mentors.

The proposal addresses that concern, while continuing to give parents the opportunity to introduce their children to hunting at ages they consider appropriate.

Commissioners noted that since January, when the board preliminarily approved the measure, they have received much feedback from hunters who said they support the proposal. Commissioner James Daley asked that, in the future, look at how the proposal might affect sportsmen’s clubs that host hunts for Mentored Youth.

The Mentored Youth Hunting Program was established in 2006 to give children 11 and younger the opportunity to experience hunting in a tightly controlled setting.

At present, Mentored Youth may only hunt deer, turkeys, squirrels, woodchucks and coyotes. And the Mentored Youth and adult mentor, together, may only possess one sporting arm between them while hunting. The adult mentor also must carry the sporting arm at all times while moving.

All Mentored Youth hunters must obtain a $2.70 permit that is valid during the license year in which they hunt. Deer and spring turkey harvest tags would continue to be issued for Mentored Youth ages 7 and older.

11 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/12 12:38:44 (permalink)
    well looks like the mentored youth  fishing program will be next to get screwed up by the "adults"..........

how many 'MENTORED YOUTH" anglers do you see in this picture >>>>

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/12 18:19:27 (permalink)
    If I would have had a camera on Sat I could have taken a photo at a nearby dam on a small creek nearly identical to yours Doc. I counted 8 adults fishing and 4 kids on mine. If the adults are that brazen out in the open just imagine what is going on in the woods in hunting season.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/12 22:34:14 (permalink)
    Reason I pretty much gave up trout fishing years ago.   Too many slobs and idiots in that circus.    Those white trucks seem to make people goofy.    That's just one of many reasons why I fish for other species and mainly at night by boat.   Nobody around and peaceful.    Instead of always wanting to punch someone in the neck, it S-o-o-o-ths the soul.   
    post edited by wayne c - 2015/04/12 22:36:00

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/13 10:50:49 (permalink)
    Though I didn't think it needed changed, I think it was a good compromise on the MYH.  Scofflaws can still get their sub AR deer if they want but have to give up their tag and have a MYH out their with them.  Rule breakers are going to be rule breakers.  
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/13 11:14:15 (permalink)
    Dr. Trout

how many 'MENTORED YOUTH" anglers do you see in this picture >>>>

Given the vantage of this pic, 2 for certain and maybe up to 7.  Mentored youth can be up to 15 years old and I only see 3 for sure that I'd peg as adults.  

As to the hunting changes, I think it's a good compromise.  Although my son didn't start on the MY tag till he was 9, I would have gladly given up my own buck tag to him at any point in the program.  Although this November, he'll have his own anyway.  When my youngest is ready, I'd do the same and 100% of the dads I know that take their kids out in the MY program would do the same.  

As eyes said, slobs are gonna be slobs.  

Couldn't care less about the MY fishing program.  Trout will get roped one week earlier than usual, but more are on the way in a few weeks.  The whole opening day thing hasn't really been that important to me for many years.  My boys and I fish year round, except on hard water, so a date on the calendar telling us we can fish for 10" stocked trout isn't really a big deal to us.  
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/13 11:43:36 (permalink)
    So the adult gives up his tag which requires them to harvest (kill, whatever) an AR legal buck to the ute (sorry Cousin Vinny) who can kill (harvest, whatever) a non AR legal buck.

Does this smack of if it is legal, the adult got it and if not the kid did?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/13 15:12:47 (permalink)
    Yep
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/14 09:02:52 (permalink)
    Dardys I know that ain't so cause, the PGC says it ain't so!

Everyone knows the PGC doesn't lie!

They even assure me 'all' kids under 12 can safely shoot at animals, using high powered weapons, so long as daddy carries the gun.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/14 20:27:46 (permalink)
    Hello Walcat..........

Are you saying you have no faith in our PGC?

Why....... I'm shocked!!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/21 18:05:46 (permalink)
    I was out with my nephew fishing the mentored youth trout day. On a popular stream in Washington County. Not one other group fishing until after 1:00. We caught 5-6 including one big breeder rainbow. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: MENTORED HUNTER CHANGES ==== 2015/04/21 18:07:37 (permalink)
    BTW, I talked to Director Arway about implemented a ratio of adult to kid in the regs for next year. He said they plan to address that. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Jump to: