2015/02/08 01:32:59 (permalink)

lure painting

Anyone on the forums try custom painting any reef runners. .. might try it

14 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/08 09:19:39 (permalink)
    Shut up n fish paints custom lures.... he hasn't been on here for a while, but may still get PM notifications if you want to contact him.

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/08 09:59:23 (permalink)
    I wanna paint them myself.. New hobby
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/08 14:28:09 (permalink)
    Eman.........................

Search YouTube 'hand painting fishing lures'..................  Some very interesting how to videos including air brushing.  There is even a video on constructing a spray booth.  Let me know how you make out.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/08 16:30:24 (permalink)
      My son powder coats the lures he makes, nothin' fancy like air brush though... he just bought some at Harbor Freight cheaper price than he was buying to give a try. He's making lures at this moment.  He has orders out the azz for some ov his crap. Some ov the molds he customized without a Patton
    are on the market now through bigger company's  

crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2015/02/08 16:44:13
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/08 16:31:26 (permalink)
    A quote I heard a while back. "Painting is easy until you know how".

Anyway I paint over 1000 baits a year I started out with regular spray paint you can can off the shelf. It works you can have fun. Then you start learning thing... And it isn't as easy.

The question u need to ask your self is how far do u take the painting. Spray paint is pretty cheap but you will get like 10 colors and have $50 in them. Then you drop $100 for an airbrush and nother $100 on paint then a compressor then a vent hood and next your etexing baits but first you need a drying wheel... Before you know it you want to make your own bait and then you do make your own and catch fish on it. Next your selling a few and people catch on and you get a sale tax ID and federal excise code, insurance dealing with non paying tackle shops... It's a slippery slope.

My suggestion is think about how far you want to go. Air brush and compressir is a lot of fun but rattle can are cheap.

I started playing with paints then what i wrote above happened I love it I enjoy it but think of your budget for time and money. Most importantly have fun doing it.

Few years back while talking to another bait maker I asked the question "been fishing?" He replied " no making to many baits for everyone else to go fishing"

Also. If you do ever start making bait be sure to have the sales tax id and excise tax id you get busted with out those the state and fed will climb all up in your business. It isn't worth it to try to fly under the radar. I heard stories from friends who been pinched. It your other bait maker who will turn you in
    post edited by anzomcik - 2015/02/08 16:34:38
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/08 17:45:15 (permalink)
    I'm just looking to make some for myself.. would like to start cheap to see if I like it..
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9685
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/08 22:52:04 (permalink)
    Check out Harbor Freight, cheap air brush, it is junk, but under $20 to get you started. I have 2, and use for both hard baits and jig heads for buck tails. I maybe use it 10 times per year, not nearly as into it as many. Hook it up to a regular air compressor, if you have. If you don't, a good investment for around the house tasks. Airbrush paint isn't too expensive either and probably better on your lungs than spray paint. Be smart, wear a respirator. e-Tech is nice stuff, better finish and better for you and family than spray clear coat. You can have a decent starting point for under $50. If you want to make your own baits those tools are going to run you a bit, but good for a lot more than lure making. If using etech, you need a drying device. A bbq rotisserie seems to be the tool of choice, and not hard to modify. Here is a site that will teach you just about anything to start. Get some printer decal paper and your buddies will think you are a master lure maker... you'll spend about as much as you would buying a lure, and 20 times the time. Kind of like just buying fish fillets and saving about $1-$2k per year.

Good luck. It is definitely rewarding catching fish on lures you make. Although, I have spent many days on the water not catching, testing, while my fishing partners out fish me. I do have a few that work pretty well though.

http://www.tackleundergro...y/forum/13-hard-baits/
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/08 23:26:37 (permalink)
    I've seen these Coptic Airbrush Paint Systems, become popular for poppers lately. May be expensive for the entire lure, but may be right for highlights and detail. http://www.dickblick.com/...sh-system/#description
    Good Luck.
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/09 09:27:57 (permalink)
    I've been airbrushing for 20+ years. I've painted pretty much everything I can get the paint to stick to . I made some stick baits last year. They turned out okay, but then I got into making wood bows and decided that was more to my liking. 

I would stay away from harbor freight for the actual airbrush. They do however have a small pancake compressor for $40 that is perfect for someone new to the airbrush. As far as the actual airbrush goes, you can get a paasche, badger, or a vega without breaking the bank $30-$50. If you buy top of the line paint and reducers you can spend a ridiculous amount of money. Rustoleum oil paint comes in half pints and thins nicely with cheap thinner.  

I have a bunch of old paasches I don't use anymore, if you're interested. I could also spend all day giving you tips and tricks to make the painting almost effortless. PM me if you decide to take up this new hobby. 
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/09 09:53:34 (permalink)
    Sounds like a plan dk.. I need to find a place that sells the reef runners 800 bodies.. I have requested a few catalogs
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/09 17:33:28 (permalink)
    I hand carved my stick baits out of bass wood. I also collected old tackle from friends and yard sales. They look brand new after a paint job and new trebles  
    You can also make a mold from a store bought lure and cast your own from it. I'm not entirely sure what kind of resin the bodies are made of, but I have all the plasters and other mold making equipment. I use them to cast my own ice fishing jigs. There's plenty of info out there from casting your own bodies to just repainting old tackle, so you should be okay with whatever.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/09 19:51:51 (permalink)
    Everyone tells me jansnetcraft has them but I cant seem to find them.. A lot of people also say that I can buy the barenaked and pain over them but it doesn't quite seem right to buy a lure for 6$ + when I just want to paint it all myself and buy the lure for a couple bucks..
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/09 20:01:06 (permalink)
    Ok has anyone ordered from WLure.. dirt cheap but from china..This is EXACTLY what I am looking for..

http://deal2search.com/lu...d=&products_id=189
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re: lure painting 2015/02/09 22:21:42 (permalink)
    There's a lure company in erie that might sell you the blanks. The name is river rat lures. It might be worth a phone call.
    Jump to: