Fishing access

Author
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/23 22:04:52 (permalink)

Fishing access

I know nobody likes to share their secret spots, but i was wondering if anybody had suggestions for a good place to take my boat on a river to post up late night without being bothered and still catch some good fish.  im from the pittsburgh area and im not looking to travel too too far. i usually fish the allegheny below lock three but want to try the ohio this year but dont know where to start. any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

7 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Fishing access 2008/01/24 12:12:01 (permalink)
    For Flatheads or Channels?
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: Fishing access 2008/01/24 18:07:00 (permalink)
    either, i dont keep em. but id say flat heads, i think they're bigger round here. at least the biggest ive caught was a flat
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing access 2008/01/25 09:31:53 (permalink)
    I don't have any "specific" boat spots, I'm a shore fisherman because I don't have a boat.  Anyway, the kind of spots I'd look for for Flatheads (check out maps, either on Google Earth, or USGS Quadrangles, or whatever) are these: 

Sharp outside bends in the river often make deep scour holes and collect lots of woody debris on the downstream side of the outside of the bend.  Lots of food there, deep water for the flatheads to sulk in the day time.

Flats 6-10 feet deep adjacent to deep spots in the river.  If the flats have vegetation all the better.  Fish the top ridge of the flat just before it drops off.

Creek mouths.

I'm not a flathead expert or anything, I know there are several on these boards who are much better than I am.  However, I've been doing better each season.  Those are the kinds of spots I'd look for. 

Large live bait only.  Don't mess with cut bait, or any bait smaller than 6" if you want the bigger flatheads.

And I'd not even bother fishing for flatheads during the day time, only at night.
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Fishing access 2008/01/25 22:07:42 (permalink)
    Hey D,

How ya been? I see from your post your still chasing cats. How was your fishing this past summer? We had some good nights, a few big fish. I only got out a half a dozen times or so. My boys keep us busy, between baseball, soccer and hockey there ain't much time for fishing.

Keep in touch.

PT 
    Xstream Fishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Fishing access 2008/01/26 19:48:14 (permalink)
    FishinGuy,

Shoot me an email at Xstreamfishing@hotmail.com

Dan

We have not inherited this world from our ancestors, rather we borrowed it from our children.

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little...
    FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing access 2008/01/28 12:20:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pheasant tail 2

Hey D,

How ya been? I see from your post your still chasing cats. How was your fishing this past summer? We had some good nights, a few big fish. I only got out a half a dozen times or so. My boys keep us busy, between baseball, soccer and hockey there ain't much time for fishing.

Keep in touch.

PT 

What's up PT.  I've been well.  My dog passed on last week, that's been rough, but everything that lives has to die, right.

It was as good as ever for us early, until late June or so.  Then we just couldn't get any bigger ones after that.  We got two 27 lbers and a few in the high teens.  No 30lb+ fish, but did lose a big one.

I did find a new, very reliable place for bait.

If you want to go out again this summer, say the word.

D-nymph
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Fishing access 2008/01/28 22:27:59 (permalink)
    D,

I'd love to wet a line this coming season. Maybe sometime in May?

Keep in touch

PT
    Jump to: