Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2014/12/09 17:45:40 (permalink)

Record Book Pa buck ====

RECORD-BOOK BUCK TO BE SCORED DEC. 16 IN HARRISBURG

Viewers can watch live online to see if the whitetail is the largest on record in Pennsylvania.

By now, you might have heard about an Allegheny County buck taken two months ago during the statewide archery season; a buck so large it might be a new Pennsylvania state record.
Will it measure up as the No. 1 buck on record?
That remains to be seen, but viewers everywhere can watch live online as the buck is measured and its official score recorded.
Allegheny County hunter Jeff Lenzi, who harvested the massive 10-point buck Oct. 10, is scheduled to bring the rack to the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s headquarters on Tuesday, Dec. 16, to have it officially scored.
And the 9 a.m. scoring session will be streamed live on the Game Commission’s website, www.pgc.state.pa.us.
Most big-game animals can be measured officially to see where they rank all-time. Pennsylvania launched its Big Game Records Program in 1965, and today, records are kept of all official measurements recorded for white-tailed deer, black bears and elk that meet minimum qualifications for entry into Pennsylvania’s records book.
Records are split into a number of categories, based on things such as the configuration of a deer’s or elk’s rack, and whether the animal was taken with a firearm or archery gear. A successful hunter must take his or her trophy to an official scorer.  
It appears likely that Lenzi’s buck will be scored in the typical category, meaning its rack does not have many abnormal points. While Lenzi’s buck was an archery harvest, but he has said unofficial measurements taken on the rack might make it bigger than any of the typical record-book bucks in the firearms category, as well.
It could be the top typical deer of all time in Pennsylvania.
To date, the top buck in the typical firearms category was taken way back in 1943 in Bradford County by Fritz Janowsky, of Wellsburg, N.Y. That buck scores 189 inches, based on the Boone & Crockett Club measuring system.
The top typical buck in the archery category also is a product of Allegheny County. It was taken in 2004 by Michael Nicola Sr., of Waterford, and its official score is 178 2/8 inches.
Minimum qualification for the Pennsylvania Big Game Records book is 140 inches for typical bucks taken with firearms, and 115 inches for typical bucks taken with archery equipment.
Official measurements on any deer cannot be taken before the conclusion of a 60-day drying period to allow moisture to evaporate from the antlers and the rack to reach its final size.  
Lenzi’s buck will be scored by Bob D’Angelo, who coordinates Pennsylvania’s Big Game Records Program.
D’Angelo, who said he’d been hearing about the buck long before scheduling the scoring session with Lenzi, said he’s excited to score the rack. The potential new No. 1 has been drawing a lot of interest, too, D’Angelo said.
“We are getting plenty of calls from hunters who have heard about the trophy buck, or have seen photos of it,” D’Angelo said. “It does not surprise me a buck of this caliber was taken in Allegheny County. Allegheny County has the second most entries in the Pennsylvania Big Game Records book, behind only Bradford County.
“This trophy also could meet the minimum score for inclusion in the Boone & Crockett Club’s records book, which is very difficult to do, and a testament to the trophy deer potential we have in the Keystone State,” D’Angelo said.
Pennsylvania entries scored now through the end of July 2015 will be added to the 2015 edition of the Pennsylvania Big Game Records book, if they meet minimum qualifications. The 2014 edition was published in October and can be purchased for $6, plus shipping and handling, through The Outdoor Shop at the Game Commission’s website. Pennsylvania residents must pay sales tax on all purchases.

Big-game scoring session scheduled
Successful hunters who are looking to have their trophies officially scored can do so at a public, big-game scoring session to be held on Feb. 14, 2015, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s headquarters in Harrisburg.
Deer, bear and elk that have been harvested in Pennsylvania are eligible for entry into the Pennsylvania Big Game Records book.
Deer and elk racks cannot be measured until after a 60-day drying period from when the skull plate was removed from the animal. For bears, the 60-day drying period begins after the skull is thoroughly cleaned by boiling or from the use of beetles.
Deer racks to be scored should have at least eight measurable points, and hunters need to register by Feb. 9, 2015. To register, call Patty Monk at 717-787-4250, ext. 3312. For more information on the session, contact Bob D’Angelo at 717-787-4250, ext. 3311.
All are welcome to attend.
The Game Commission’s headquarters is located at 2001 Elmerton Ave. in Harrisburg, just off the Progress Avenue exit of Interstate 81.

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2014/12/09 17:55:42

30 Replies Related Threads

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/09 19:33:34 (permalink)
    Eh, helluva beast, specially for Pa...  But a lil' on the scrawny side for being "#1" ever if that ends up being the case, compared to our neighboring states best archery season kill. 

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/09 19:55:38 (permalink)
    Here's a Mcnasty from Spartansburg.
    Archery kill non-typical.. Scored 204...
    Not my deer, but I did get him on game camera and hunted him for 3 days before he got shot...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

BIG WAGS
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/09 21:34:18 (permalink)
    Dr.
    Lenzi got him 1.5 miles from my house.
    Why didn't he come visit me????
    It's all about the place, about the place....and timing
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/09 21:36:47 (permalink)
    190"-class deer is called scrawny...I've read it all.

Blacktop Charters
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/09 22:43:09 (permalink)
    A guy 6 foot tall isn't short, but is a midget next to shaq.   Just sayin'.

But if it makes you feel any better, Id probably shoot either one of 'em late in the season.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/10 13:07:24 (permalink)
    You know, I was thinking the same thing; he should have let him go another year.  Silly hunter, shooting dinks...

What ever happened to the pics of the Clairton buck?  It was pretty close in size to Lenzi's, at least from the bad pic I saw of it.  Maybe it wasn't really from here?

Big Wags, if you need any help "scouting," let me know...I can swing by after work next year, with my bow and climber!

Maybe I need to hit my spots in the SE of 2B more than the NE part I have been hitting.

I do drive by 30-50 deer almost every night out in cut bean fields, even during rifle, but its posted up tight (and not Round Hill).  Serious doe reduction is sorely needed.  I will be asking in the spring but won't have high hopes.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/10 13:32:52 (permalink)
    Same everywhere Gills- Public hunting and Pvt- where ya can get to -are pretty much wiped out when the States average out the DPSM and give out far too many tags for the actual huntable land..
    End result- few Deer on one side of the mountain and so over populated on the other they die off.
     System gotta change wherever ya hunt.
     State incentives through tax relief or some other manner of opening those NO properties to even out the harvest and  achieve Deer pop. goals in a realistic manner instead of the overkill vs underkill  that happens now.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/12/10 13:34:33
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/10 16:24:10 (permalink)
    A lot of those posted properties are that way because of what the state did to the deer herd so I don't see them being able to get them opened up. Many landowners either lease their land to folks who manage them for maximum sustained yield (like the PGC used to) or do it themselves.

Interesting that the state try's to destroy the deer herd and then takes credit for the deer taken by folks who said scr-w the PGC and started to manage the herd on private land themselves.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/10 17:28:28 (permalink)
    Id say it goes deeper than simply 'public vs. private'.   I know of quite a few private lands that aren't posted and even some that are, that have every bit as high, and in some cases even higher numbers of hunters on them than the public lands!   The lands I see the most deer on such as those spokenof here by others when driving the roads, is lands that fit into 2 categories.   Ones that the landowners are opposed to hunting altoghether or limit it to extremely few, or landowners who want the lands for hunting purposes mainly and manage for high deer densities.    Pretty much any private lands that receive reasonable hunting pressure as well as the public lands simply don't have too many deer and in many areas, never did, even prior to audubons deer plan.

As for deer management, why worry about the very few areas you may pass where you see 50 deer in a field.   Most of us realize that's not probably best for the very localized habitat there etc.   But who cares?   The landowner obviously doesn't.
    post edited by wayne c - 2014/12/10 17:48:07

BIG WAGS
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/10 19:10:29 (permalink)
    Eyes and gills COME ON DOWN......

Open property abounds here in Forward Township.....Ask the amish...JK
    There was a group of 10, from Butler 2 years ago, and they kept trespassing and got caught.
    They brought an ex-large passenger van and a flat trailer--- had 12 or 15 doe on it.
    Our local magistrate laughed at their lawyer told him and them pay at the window and to get out and don't come back!!
    ConSol property has over 900 acres.  BUT you better have some strong legs to hunt it....
    Triple B farm above Bunola ALWAYS asking for hunters to come in and hunt deer(not sure of their acreage but a guess 150 or more).
    Wish we could hunt in the landfill....there's one in there bigger than Lenzi's, and yes I have seen it.

All I can say is this year is and has been very odd when it comes to wildlife.
    My camera only had 24 pictures for the week. 4 days straight with nothing????not even a raccoon...

Hunted 2c first day. Owner of the farm said in archery season one evening she stopped counting at 42. Several small racks and only
    one nice 8 point. I saw 15 first day...all bald.
    My brother hit Forbes above Elliotsville Monday. He's gotta doe tag. Saw 2 spikes. left 10 am
    He came back and went into Floreffe walked in within 15 minutes had an 8 point walk right up to him.....I guess asking to die....he did. 

Soon as I find it I have a picture of a road kill from a few years ago that sparked a major rack hunt by PSGC. I had been seeing this guy
    for 2 years and couldn't get even within 100 yards

They are here but hiding in nooks and crannies.........

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 12:04:39 (permalink)
    http://www.livestream.com/pagamecommission/video?clipId=pla_ec651022-a37d-49a4-b63d-ceaff837a2cf&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Only in Pa do people think a 160 or 170" buck is an earth shattering record #1 buck of all time... lol.    Cant blame them though, when top end bucks are as common as ufo's n'at.

Final score; 175 1/8 gross.    166 net

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 12:52:57 (permalink)
    This sort of thing happens all the time, so I'm not surprised.  I go to a scoring event every February and I can't tell you how many guys come in with a 100% certainty that they have a P&Y buck only to leave with a scoresheet showing 110-115".  I'm no expert at scoring but it's really not that difficult to score a typical buck and come up with a reasonably accurate score.  I can't really figure out why so many people are that far off when they do their own scoring.

Either way, it is still a 175" gross buck, which is a true giant in just about anyone's eyes. 
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 13:03:56 (permalink)
    I love big bucks as much as anyone, and am in awe of them just as any hunters is.   I don't shoot the smallest legal bucks, but not a hardcore trophy hunter by any stretch.    But I couldn't care less about a deers score, would never have a deer scored because I couldn't tell you how little I care about such stupidity.  And imo, to call a bigger buck smaller than some others because you've deducted more because of technicalitys of being typical vs. nontypical etc...   Is totally asnine imo.   The only way Id ever even consider it would be if I arrowed a buck that looked to have a good chance to be the #1 in its category. Then it would be a harder decision not to.

I think the measuring process comes in handy when assessing a states trophy potential or a regions or whatever, as it needs to be quantifiable so I guess It has some value in that regard.

As for a true giant, absolutely.  And nobody ever said otherwise.   But that's not the context any of my statements have been made in.    It was simply about obviously poor score estimating, and also previously about comparisons to the ohio buck posted, as well as to being #1 ever.

As for the estimations of score, its pretty comical, seeing as how far from the 201 inch ohio german buck it is even to a casual observer.  It has it beat badly in pretty much every single measurement and some of them very very badly, and that's visible without any tape measure.   So how it could be confused for 190's is honesty beyond my understanding.

post edited by wayne c - 2014/12/16 13:09:12

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 13:09:44 (permalink)
    Esox_Hunter
    This sort of thing happens all the time, so I'm not surprised.  I go to a scoring event every February and I can't tell you how many guys come in with a 100% certainty that they have a P&Y buck only to leave with a scoresheet showing 110-115".  I'm no expert at scoring but it's really not that difficult to score a typical buck and come up with a reasonably accurate score.  I can't really figure out why so many people are that far off when they do their own scoring. Either way, it is still a 175" gross buck, which is a true giant in just about anyone's eyes. 

Because Gary said they would all be record book bucks. Gary is a biologist and knows everything about whitetail deer. Just ask him.

Sorry............ (lol)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 13:53:03 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Esox_Hunter
    This sort of thing happens all the time, so I'm not surprised.  I go to a scoring event every February and I can't tell you how many guys come in with a 100% certainty that they have a P&Y buck only to leave with a scoresheet showing 110-115".  I'm no expert at scoring but it's really not that difficult to score a typical buck and come up with a reasonably accurate score.  I can't really figure out why so many people are that far off when they do their own scoring. Either way, it is still a 175" gross buck, which is a true giant in just about anyone's eyes. 

Because Gary said they would all be record book bucks. Gary is a biologist and knows everything about whitetail deer. Just ask him.

Sorry............ (lol)

Gary's PhD was in forestry.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 14:41:58 (permalink)
    Always figured more trophy bucks go home to hang in a garage or be chewed up by mice than get scored.
    Most guys don't really care about  what everyone else thinks as their hunting is a very personal thing.
    Like Wayne they may only show up for an official opinion with one that they think  is VERY special and ought to be shared...

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 17:46:40 (permalink)
    Amen to some of the above about scoring buck antlers....

I have no idea if any of mine are 40s or 110s....  

and as some mentioned could really care less... they just hang there and is just another thing for my wife to dust off ....LOL LOL
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 19:25:44 (permalink)

killed in Snyder county last day of rifle. By Chad Hostetier
    post edited by Mikastorm - 2014/12/16 19:36:27

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 19:27:26 (permalink)
    'allegheny county on the first day of gun season
    post edited by Mikastorm - 2014/12/16 19:33:21

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 19:28:22 (permalink)
    Most huge bucks die of old age...WF.....most of the ones I knew of did. They get old and become lazy.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 19:39:06 (permalink)

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/16 20:22:11 (permalink)
    GREAT Deer !!!!!!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/17 07:02:19 (permalink)
    One of my coworkers in Iowa sent me a photo of his "last day desperation" archery buck (sorry it came through on work email and I'm not going to go through all the hoops to pull it off and post it). It net scored 153.5. To him it was nothing special. To be truthful, the antlers looked small (I know, how could they) since the deer dressed at 230.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    DRod
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/17 08:51:05 (permalink)
    r3g3
    Always figured more trophy bucks go home to hang in a garage or be chewed up by mice than get scored.
    Most guys don't really care about  what everyone else thinks as their hunting is a very personal thing.

Awhile back in another thread on deer hunting (maybe in the archery forum) was talking about a buddy who has a wall full of P&Y Class bucks from the Pittsburgh suburbs.  

Was over there last week, and was asking about them.  5 of the 8 he has mounted are not just P&Y class, they are P&Y.  

But, guess how many he's entered?  

One.  The first one he shot about 18 years ago.  

'zactly what you said r3g3, he doesn't really care what others think.  
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/17 09:49:08 (permalink)
    DarDys
    One of my coworkers in Iowa sent me a photo of his "last day desperation" archery buck (sorry it came through on work email and I'm not going to go through all the hoops to pull it off and post it). It net scored 153.5. To him it was nothing special. To be truthful, the antlers looked small (I know, how could they) since the deer dressed at 230.

A buck that nets 153 is a big, mature buck anywhere in the country.  Having hunted out of state a handful of times, and knowing many others who spend a lot of time chasing whitetails in the midwest, I've never met anyone who would disagree with me.  Iowa has put out somewhere between 300-500 P&Y bucks (>125" net) a year and 30-40 B&C bucks (>170" net) per year over the last decade compared to total buck kills of ~50k (minimum kill based solely on number reported) to add some persepective.    
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2014/12/17 09:50:50
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/17 11:12:17 (permalink)
    Mika what/where was that last one from.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/17 13:14:19 (permalink)
    See, I told you he should have passed on it and let it go another year!  Might have got that 20" back next year.....   :-)
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/26 14:20:11 (permalink)
    It's hard to get PY buck in PA.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    Re: Record Book Pa buck ==== 2014/12/26 21:16:37 (permalink)

Blacktop Charters
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: