PGC Head Scratchet

Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
  • Reward points: 0
2014/12/06 16:30:38 (permalink)

PGC Head Scratchet

For years the PGC has used estimates via a formula to calculate the deer harvest. When it was suggested that both positive (kills) and negative (did not kill) would provide much more accurate data, the idea was scoffed at as undoable because no one would bother to report the negstives. Yet those possessing CWD permits are required to report negative results.

Makes one go hummmmmm.

Of course those are on a much smaller scale, but I really doubt their license vendor's computer would explode if all negstives were required.

Maybe the data would be more accurate and telling.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

13 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/06 16:54:51 (permalink)
    Data that is more accurate and telling leaves less room for them to maneuver. Somehow I don't believe that would be in their best interest.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/06 18:31:03 (permalink)
    If you only get 30 some percent to report success, how do expect folks to report negatives ?????????
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/06 18:40:52 (permalink)
    When it became known they had to, or wouldn't get another license until they did, I think they'd get the picture rather quickly.

There is no excuse not to.  None.   Other than it doesn't fit in with the agenda.

lost sage rod sectio
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/06 20:08:51 (permalink)
    The P.A. Deer herd should be put on the endangered species list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There should be no Deer hunting in P.A. for 5 years. You know that ain't going to happen.
    hsimmons6351
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/06 20:26:37 (permalink)
    I think they should do 1 week antlered and 2 days of antlerless for a while till the herd improves. They could always extend antlerless based on deer harvest like in the past. I think there are a lot falling to diasese and predetures.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/06 20:59:23 (permalink)
    hsimmons6351
    I think they should do 1 week antlered and 2 days of antlerless for a while till the herd improves. They could always extend antlerless based on deer harvest like in the past. I think there are a lot falling to diasese and predetures. 

I'll second that motion!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/07 09:03:13 (permalink)
    Dr. Trout
    If you only get 30 some percent to report success, how do expect folks to report negatives ?????????

Take off the PGC googles for a second there Doc.

By requiring that CWD permit holders report negstives that points to the PGC having complete confidence in people reporting negstives. That is why this is such a head scratcher. On one hand the PGC says that it does not trust hunters to turn in reports so it has to use a formula to calculate the harvest and on the other it completely trusts us to turn in both positive and negative reports. So which is it because it can't be both.

At the very least, since the CWD permit process is fairly limited (the 4000 permits in DMA2 did not sell out), it will be easy to come up with an "actual" reporting ratio -- this many permits were sold and there were that many positive reports and so many negative reports -- that this data driven ratio could then be used to extrapolate the reporting for general hunting.

Should that data show that only 30%, as you claim, is reporting, they can say, "see, we told you,". But if that data comes in somewhere in the 50-75% range, they will have to adjust their formulas. And, goodness forbid, if the teporting comes in at something north of 80%, especially when it was not well publicized that negative reporting is required (I didn't know that until I read the report card and no other person that I know that has s CWD permit knew that), they will need to publicly admit that they have been wrong (I won't say lying, because they might just be that dumb) for more than a decade and the entire deer program will need re-evaluated -- hopefully by someone who replaces the person that let the numbers go so wrong for so long.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/07 10:56:17 (permalink)
    wayne c
    When it became known they had to, or wouldn't get another license until they did, I think they'd get the picture rather quickly.

There is no excuse not to.  None.   Other than it doesn't fit in with the agenda.

They should be hammering the 70% not reporting now. They are Breaking the Law...
    Couple years of monitoring the deer processors, checking tags and fining the non reporters might wise some of these idiots up.

In todays electronic world there is no reason you can't make it a simple process and get at least an 80% compliance.
    Unless you do not want the TRUE numbers.

Sure glad my boss doesn't estimate my paycheck.... 
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2014/12/07 11:46:39

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/07 11:37:38 (permalink)
    MANDATORY is the KEY word in any state - no report one way or the other- no tag next year.
    They did it here years back and never enforced it either. Forgot to send it in once and thought I was outa luck the next season- nope- bought a tag as usual.
    Kinda made the whole reporting system and stats and theories based upon it meaningless drivel IMHO.
    Yea- was happy to be able to get the new tag but also kind of disappointed in the system at the same time.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/12/07 11:39:14
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/07 13:27:51 (permalink)
    Simple voucher system for one year would get results.

Send in your report by mail or telephone; receive a voucher by mail. Report via the internet; voucher returned via internet. No voucher; no license via internet or issueing agent.

Nothing to say a successful hunter (or unsuccessful hunter) wouldn't send a false report. Likelyhood of that occuring is low but, there is those kind out there.

I get my fishing and hunting license each year by plugging in a number assigned to me so, a added voucher number should be no problem.
    Least not forget; your SS number is on file so, new hunters should have no problem with obtaining their first license without a voucher.

Truthfully, do you really think the game commission wants a accurate count?

Let's hope the current changes with the administration brings about positive changes.

Hunt Safely.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/07 14:28:47 (permalink)
    Send your unused tags to:

Senator Richard Alloway II, Chairman, Senate Game and Fisheries Committee.

Maybe he cares?

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/08 00:06:41 (permalink)
    Yeah nowadays with all the techno-putor stuff it could be done report or no lic next year.
    But they do not want it...
    I always report but others will only do it(and other things)when they have something to gain like hunting privileges next year.

Seems that hunting and fishing in PA are suffering from mismanagement and society has changed  there is a lot of ME ME ME out there -everyone here seems logical but overall PEOPLES just wanna get sum fish/deer whatever it takes and the interweb has all the ways to do it all laid out to be spoon fed to them-usda' be you earned that info from experience.

Not going to stop me from hunting and fishing just gotta make the best of it...WCW
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: PGC Head Scratchet 2014/12/12 12:26:46 (permalink)
    The PGC must not ever need a license increase. Using round numbers, if the PGC reports 300,000 harvests and 70% came from non reporters, that means there are 210,000 fines at $25 a whack or $5.25 million per year just hanging out there for the taking.

Even if they collect on only 10% that pays for the one computer guru needed to discover the scoff laws and send out the fines, about an extra dozen song birdie biologists, and a heck of a Christmas party.

Jump to: