problem

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Reward points: 0
Re: problem 2015/03/19 07:06:21 (permalink)
That Hudson slot is extreme and useless without enforcement and J hooks. As you said out on the ice, HT, just a parade of the half-dead going back in until a keeper is boated.  Considering that the Hudson stocks are relatively healthy compared to the Chesapeake, I wonder why the extreme?  It's harshest limit on the whole seaboard. I have no doubt Daisy Mae released fish will go back unhurt and live to spawn. Not so for  lots of others. I'm sure people night fishing  from the bank  in Troy will practice catch and release to the letter. Yeah. From what I saw a few weeks ago, the Cand R was doing more damage than those keeping one and heading home.   That I saw indeed, as the unemployment hole was pretty well populated with fish. Above, the stonefly experts were releasing half-dead after half-dead fish.  Hey, why revive a fish when your hands are cold already from taking pics? Besides the odds go up considerably on killing fish in the cold. Only a drastic reduction in the numbers of fish will cull the fisherman. Eventually, they may have to close the LFZ in winter.  I'd be all for it, at this point.  That'd at least give the fishery a shot  to have some consistent large fish returning to the river from the lake. If you think about the numbers, it's hard to not come up with many thousands in lost revenue from the visiting fly fishers showing up in the winter to herd the steel. They will not stomach fishing all day for a  single take or a fish lined because the fish aren't podded up and easy. So, there'd be some loud voices from local business that'd close up (Malinda's would be dead if the lower closed) , and the likelihood of closure is pretty slim.  I'm about as dedicated a C&R fisherman as you'll find, but even I find grave fault with how it's practiced on the SR. You aren't talking nonsense in my opinion, RG.
post edited by fichy - 2015/03/19 07:09:12
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: problem 2015/03/19 07:47:15 (permalink)
The most helpful regulation change for eliminating a lot of the additional stress, INMO, would be to change the interpretation of a limit and require that once an angler has caught and kept a limit, he or she has to stop fishing.  The person who takes a fish to the car, returns and does not reduce a caught fish to possession has broken no law currently.

Also, they don't inject thiamin into eggs.  They do add thiamin to the water in which they are being hardened and kept for eye up and hatch, and it absorbs into the eggs by process of osmosis.  And they have been giving B injections to adult fish holding for egg take, which produces a noticeable recovery.   As the DEC Pathologist said, these fish got hit with a double whammy, high stress alewives containing higher than normal Thiaminase levels, and the predators had to eat more because each alewife was in poor condition and had a lower nutrient level. AND it as the Canadians who pointed out the angling rates at SR as an explanation as to why they did not see this in their large return streams.  Another thing reported at SOL was the loss of about 20% of the quota fo eggs taken in Spring 2014, which means redux in stocking in 2015.  All of these factors may add up to the old one fish on is a great day that we got used to in the 90's and the crowds thinned then.  But this is  a put, grow and take fishery, so unless the hatchery operation is predicted to be impacted by angling, I think closures are unlikely (or maybe the LFZ goes away permanently, purely my speculation, but it is a zoo now anyway).  Ya pays yer ticket and ya takes yer chances, as TB likes to say. AAAR!

post edited by Lucky13 - 2015/03/19 15:57:06
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: problem 2015/03/19 08:00:18 (permalink)
They should improve the access and make it handicap and under 16 only. Hel I fish there a lot, but something has to give

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: problem 2015/03/19 10:51:45 (permalink)
Maybe the answer to the dead C&R Steel is NO cameras allowed on the LFZ.I like to look at pictures but do you have to take a hero shot of every fish?Or somehow teach these snaggers/anglers the proper way to handle a fish that will be released.
I thought spring was here but now we're going to get 3-6 inches tomorrow ending with freezing drizzle.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: problem 2015/03/19 14:04:33 (permalink)
dimebrite2
Most ice on the lake since 1977 could be playing a part somewhere in there too... I've heard opinions expressed towards the thick freeze on the lake can take a toll on baitfish... I'm sure it can take a toll on less than yearling salmonoids as well... I'd be shocked if lake Ontario collapsed completely in regards to salmonoids... Some lean years "could" be coming though....

A post of mine from December... Question is now another freeze over this year. Could we see even a larger collapse in bait possibly lucky??? I still stand by my belief of the lake "NOT" collapsing completely... But lean years like middle to late 90s ate probably inevitable. Bring it on... Less people..less fish... I'm fine with that. Snagging ettiquette for steelhead must be done away with though. Fish are currently taking a pretty hard beating up in a-town right now
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/19 14:16:43 (permalink)
Lucky the egg loss was around 400 k I heard
And yes youre right it was the Canadian who answered the question and pointed out how swirlers are not as prevalent in their streams.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 09:27:52 (permalink)
Lot more swirlers the past few days.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3067
Re: problem 2015/03/22 09:46:43 (permalink)
Not just our lake- Michigan too
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 11:08:40 (permalink)
Michigan had a Chinook collapse a few years back after banner years in a row like we had. My eyes are eager to see this years Chinook return. Another lousy season like last year will definitely put a poor taste in a lot of peoples mouths who spend a lot of money coming up for them. Local tackle shops I've spoke with did see the effects of last seasons lousy run. Another one would put a big hurting on them.

Also interested to see/hear/read about Atlantic returns. To my knowledge catch rates on the lake have been up the past few years for them. An odd coincidence it would be to see Atlantic's flourishing with Pacific's diminishing. As we do know the b1 deficiency was first noticed in Atlantic's due to over indulgence of alewives. With the Atlantic's it has been said that the thiaminisine effects their spawning ability. Studies have shown steelhead and Atlantic's are closely related genetically. It really bothers me that the conga lines are still present in altmar with so many fish still dying. Yet in 2007 the fly zones were shutdown for near 3 months for salmon. I really think enough is enough and close the river from lower fly zone to Ellis cove. Let these fish rest and spawn and get to the hatchery without being bothered!!!
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 11:18:30 (permalink)
Andy,closing that stretch will not happen and the reason is MONEY!The whole fishery,except for the Salmon natural reproduction,is put and take and I bet plenty get to the hatchery to contribute their eggs to the effort.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 11:27:38 (permalink)
I know there's that whole money side jack. I do know that the wild steelhead population study has not been concluded yet though. And also would hate to see 3 and 4 year steelhead populations diminished. We finally have some good sized fish. At the rate we're going, drop back success rate will be very low!
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 12:02:27 (permalink)
I understand your concern Andy but money trumps all and that's what it's all about.
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: problem 2015/03/22 12:24:33 (permalink)
Thing that bothers me is they could cut the conga line down by just policing the area. One officer could write tickets all day. Put a camera on the bridge and check it remotely if you see wrong doing go up and write the tickets. I know their spread thin and have lives and families, but a surcharge that goes directly to pay the salary of the officer would  fund it. There are many posts on Facebook and such telling of groups at the bridge bringing in fish by the tail and getting pic's and such. Just sit a guy there all day and write tickets for mishandling and snagging.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 12:54:53 (permalink)
Clint S
Thing that bothers me is they could cut the conga line down by just policing the area. One officer could write tickets all day. Put a camera on the bridge and check it remotely if you see wrong doing go up and write the tickets. I know their spread thin and have lives and families, but a surcharge that goes directly to pay the salary of the officer would  fund it. There are many posts on Facebook and such telling of groups at the bridge bringing in fish by the tail and getting pic's and such. Just sit a guy there all day and write tickets for mishandling and snagging.

I've been saying that for years and it falls on deaf ears,I guess even the snaggers money is coveted.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 13:03:16 (permalink)
You're right clint. Just a little enforcement would go a long way. I hope Atlantic's start taking off better and also hope a minimum of 20% wild steelhead population is proven. Coupled with the wild Chinook and coho; it would be a good clutch to enforce stricter regulations from Ellis cove and up. Wild returns are a natural phenomenon. Why not take efforts to preserve? I think we've all learned the hard way through out the history of this country: anything in practiced in excess amounts eventually degrades. Put and take or not... "I" (opinion only) think things should change.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 15:44:40 (permalink)
At the end of the day  its a put and take fishery designed and maintained to produce an economy, as well as sporting opportunity,  in a distressed area.
Similar in all the Great Lakes, therefore despite some 'natural' spawn the stocking maintains the  numbers to provide the initial, and lasting, purpose.
Nobodys gonna stop fishing in the SR because of this issue just the way nobody stopped it in the other lakes when they had-and still have- similar issues. Our Lake just got it last.
Grouse  about it we will, but it will continue--and I, for one, agree it should.
I may well agree that enforcement is too minimal, however it wont stop the madness nor change the culture by itself. Many ,through things like this Forum, have changed--I did- but some will never do so.

Blaze away----------------
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/03/22 15:48:11
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 16:28:37 (permalink)
The state needs to WANT to stop the snagging/lifting for anything to change.They need to state it in their publicity that they are going to strictly enforce the rules and increase the fines so that it hurts when they write a ticket.They should make it apparent that they are doing so by loading a bus full of snaggers and make a show of it by taking them to a local judge and fine them on the spot.Do that a couple times and the word will spread and the snaggers will either change or stay home.But I know this will never happen as the state does n't really want it to happen.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 18:24:41 (permalink)
Agreed
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: problem 2015/03/22 19:13:20 (permalink)
While I agree on the put & take fishery,,, Remember, It was for the Lake, the tribs were bonus..
Now the tribs have (may) surpassed the concept of the Lake fishery.. Aka. The Lake Charter association had the majority voice at SOL meetings.. It's much more vocal from the Trib side now..
I think some major changes are in store for the tribs come next fall..
As for Atlantics , geesh.. If the steelhead are suffering from the alewife diet I couldn't imagine the Atlantics doing better..

Real problem in my eyes is its a super abused tributary fishery by many .. Too many for my liking in the past 10 years..    

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 20:34:12 (permalink)
The atlantic catch is still measured in the hundreds.  But if there is more thiaminase in the alewifes, all alewife eaters are affected, maybe not as catastrophically as is happening with the steelhead, but condition and maybe survival out in the lake, is still affected.  Even the biologists are not happy at the prospects, or at least expressed the possibility of continued problems,  after a second  bad winter putting heavy stress on the alewife population.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/22 20:34:44 (permalink)
Jack, you would be surprised how many folks get seen in front of the judge in town of Richland. It seems as if their court is much more able to handle the cases. Town of Albion is much less sustained. I wonder if that's why less tickets seem to get written in Altmar/Albion. Town of Richland includes Pulaski which is also an easier target with closer access points to the water.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: problem 2015/03/23 07:36:28 (permalink)
Only saw dead fish again this week end......

wishin i was fishin
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/23 07:51:08 (permalink)
No hook ups at all bear!?!? Only dead fish??? Not good!!!
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: problem 2015/03/23 09:05:48 (permalink)
Not even a bite....
Only fish I even heard of anyone getting were two guys who were "self admittedly" snagging, they had 4 on saturday.

wishin i was fishin
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/23 10:13:10 (permalink)
Have ben out for the last week on the local ditch.  Fish that I have seen have been darkies that overwintered in the deep holes downstream, have heard reports of a couple chromers, but not what I would expect to see with over a week of high water.  Numbers have been low  also.  Not seeing many lifters, mainly bobber fishers.  If the bright fish don't show soon, they are not coming to play this spring!
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/23 10:45:54 (permalink)
Bright fish did show in the salmon once the lower ended thawed out. I missed them when I suspected they were in p- town as I was busy as usual. Of course a few days later A lot of chrome fish were getting caught in Altmar. But just like the large pod that came in the fall;they weren't feeding/biting normally. And now 2-3 weeks have gone by and they are all mostly dead. They really took a beating 1-2 weeks ago when they started getting up to altmar.
post edited by dimebrite2 - 2015/03/23 10:48:48
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/23 10:53:13 (permalink)
I'm gonna take a ride to the hatchery later today. With the gradual consistent thaw from the sun and intermittent warm ups there "SHOULD" be substantial numbers in beaver dam brook. We will see. If there's still ice cover on the banks with little to no fish I will give it another week and check
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/24 08:19:35 (permalink)
DEC did not show any concern with this affecting their egg take for this spring.  They said they were on track for egg take.  Of course, they dismissed the " bad run" last fall talk as they had all the fish they could handle.  I think a lot of guys only know to look in the notches, and since maybe the fish were running at night and holding in the holes during the day, they did not see fish. And of course everything was 3 weeks late last year.  But when TB and I were there in October, there were salmon all over the place where we were fishing.  Always going to be as lot of question marks around these years.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/24 09:04:28 (permalink)
Lucky you and two Bob lucked out big time with your outting last fall.

Didn't make it to hatchery. Gonna try today. And yes the hatchery can make its quota with a small percentage of return fish. That's obvious. But I know how many fish "should" be prevalent in beaver dam and raceway. So even if they get their quota, "I" will be concerned if " I " don't see what "I" usually see in the beaver and raceways this spring. It will be a few years of 4-6 pound average fish :(
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/03/24 12:34:02 (permalink)
Kings made it to the hatchery as usual last year- even with so very few to be found early in the river.
An early  trip to the hatchery produced a surprise with very many in the runway into the closed hatchery and in the brook. They were spawning in the brook and the fish were a good mix of both old and fresh arrivals.
They did run hard at night with favorable water levels and enough certainly made it in.
That said the king run stunk big time- and not just comparing the 2 years prior.
Beds in the river were sketchy at best in favored spawning areas and in some a King sighting was a surprise now and then instead of a regular thing.
Heck numbers of deads in the river didn't even start showing till real late.
Except for a couple of decent pushes mid season they were few and far between.
Those who were fortunate enough to be there at the few 'right times' likely saw little difference in the run.
Been going up for well over 30 years and around a lot in the past 8 to 10 and this was a VERY light year for them IMHO.
Should note I fish Kings often from  mid August till early December and except for the aforementioned 'pushes' they were relatively scarce.
Think its likely that we didn't notice the thiamine thing in Kings so much in the river as so many are kept and deads are normal.
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/03/25 08:57:32
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to: