Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/11/11 23:12:38 (permalink)

snaggers beware

http://video-fishing.com/shoot-snag-fishing

There is even one of the town pool.  I am not good like TB and have not figured out how to post videos.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

35 Replies Related Threads

uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/12 04:50:56 (permalink)
    Hopefully the one of the town hike had permission from Dawn seeing it was on her side of the river.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/12 06:40:51 (permalink)
    It was Dawn doing the shooting. The Halloween costume was just a disguise. Snaggers are like Zombies, very hard to kill. You can put them down quick though  by touching them with:
    1. A barbless salmon fly
    2. A pamphlet from Alcoholics Anonymous
    3. Any organic food
    4.A trash receptacle
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/12 07:29:32 (permalink)
    5. any line lighter than 50 lb
    6. no net or yellow rope
    7. a hook smaller than size 01
    8. soap

wishin i was fishin
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/12 09:16:46 (permalink)
    You guys ain't right!  

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/12 09:47:25 (permalink)
    9. non alcoholic beer
    10. split shot smaller than 3/0
    11. rods longer than 7'
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/12 18:04:46 (permalink)
    12. Catch and release literature
    13. An "Association of Environmental Conservation Officer's" Hat- at least scares 'em off!
    14. A copy of the regulations that you get when you buy a license

L13 
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/12 18:53:14 (permalink)
    It's getting harder but,
    15. Non polarized sunglasses
    16. Water from the restricted zones above and below the upper and lower fly
    17.  any fly that takes more than 20 seconds to tie
    18. An octopus hook. (we all know you can't snag with those)

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3067
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/12 19:36:33 (permalink)
    Snagging, lifting and lining are a part of the SR culture no matter where ya go on the river system and/or any nearby tribs..
    They are the most prevalent method of fishing there.
    Until recent years outright snagging with a large weighted treble hook was  legal on much of the river.
    On my first trip up for 3 days I spent 2 and a half trying to make fish bite with all the wrong equipment ( NOW I know that- not then)
    A fella in what is now the DSR came over and told me they don't bite and showed me how to line them-that was it for a very long time.
    There are not enough LE to stop it nor is there any kind of quantitative "push" for its extinction.
    This is big business in the area and this is the main style of fishing being done- no wonder its tacitly allowed.
    SR  is not pregnant in this - watched a TV show on Alaska last week with guys shoulder to shoulder doing the exact same thing.
    Hate to say it but its part of the deal.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 06:22:52 (permalink)
    Alaska maintains snagging as the fishery is for subsistence . How many on the SR depend  on salmon and steelhead as food ?  It may be part of the deal, but no one needs to condone it and continue to turn a blind eye. In my area, as many people (who have more money) stay away as go because of what's tacitly allowed.  The economy wouldn't collapse; it'd be a better place. Have to respectfully disagree, rg.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 06:35:07 (permalink)
    The sky was going to fall when they ended snagging.
    It didn't.
    Small blip.
    Then more fishermen started showing up.

Then the dedicated snaggers came back figuring ways around the laws.
    The law keeps getting tweeked in an attempt to fix the newest loop hole and the game begins again.

The legislature has to stiffen the fines or more enforcement is useless.
    Make it hurt and target enforcement for a while till the word spreads and actions will change.

Lifters and liners will will lessen and then more fishermen will replace them in a little while.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 07:02:22 (permalink)
    When Region 8 Fisheries Manager Bill Abraham answered my objection to the snagging rampant 30 years ago on non-salmon steelhead streams like IC by saying, " A lot of people like snagging", I angered the old timers at the TU meeting where this took place, by responding, " A lot of people like raping and murdering, too, but we don't  condone those activities as a society or look the other way."  If you give Rome to the Visigoths, there is no more Rome!  But this is the American way anymore, when a nut case uses a tool to commit bedlam, take away everyone's tools, but when a bunch of low life no morals people create a thorny enforcement problem, well, there's no harm there, just ignore it and it will go away. 

L13
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 07:10:46 (permalink)
    I have the biggest issue with the worst of the worst. The stealth s****s and liners I definitely could live without, but the $#it show has to stop.  You know the type. The hunters, the chasers, standing in front of a 2 foot deep pool at in the brook and creek and just rip.  The herders, rock throwers, basically 95% of the people fishing in TB or OC.  

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 07:21:58 (permalink)
    Which is why there was a move to basically close those tribs to fishing a few years past.  

L13
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 07:31:48 (permalink)
    I don't condone it -I  just realize it aint going away.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 08:19:36 (permalink)
    Wouldn't it be nice if, those responsible for law enforcement, had extra help (deputies) this time of year and their pay based on each ticket they write?   But, you might hear, we don't want to be harsh with our enforcement, we don't want to scare business away.  It would be such an easy fix if those who could fix the problem would stop hiding under................. "if it ain't broke; don't fix it" !

Don't fish for salmon, steel, etc. but, I sure feel your pain.

Enjoy your pictures and comments..............  Hang in there; better days are coming..................  some day!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 08:23:29 (permalink)
    Well it really has to go away or many good fishers will. Myself I'm tired of it and have no desire to join the " experience ". If folks want to truly have a sustainable economy towards the fishery , it must go away.

We encountered a young lad on the river dragging 2 salmon along while he outright was snagging fish. He made no attempt to fish, only snag. The sad part was that we assumed his father was across from him and probably taught him that way. What a Shame..
    It really pizzed our church going brother off into telling him if he caught our lines he would get very wet..
    I felt the same way and that's just not how I wish to enjoy myself at what should be fishing..
    A big reason I invested into the Daisy Mae

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 08:33:37 (permalink)
    Rg... I hear ya man. Its like trying to change the politics of this convoluted country we live in...
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 09:36:18 (permalink)
    I do disagree with a local economy collapse though. And I might add that the town of Richland court is pretty busy with fishing fines from first hand encounter. Quite frankly, can law enforcement keep an eye on everything? It would have to be a total police state to live in a "perfect world" (notice quotations) . look at the roads and highways... Everyone does an easy 10-15 mph over the limit while law enforcement turns a blind eye. I think that is a way better comparison than comparing snagging to rapists and murderers...(not trying to start a fight here)... I think the biggest problems the fishery faces is too many people crowding the river...
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 09:44:17 (permalink)
    I agree with everyone's concern that something has to be done about the blatant infractions that take place on the SR and other LO tributaries.  I don't agree with BTDT's suggestion that the LE salary should be commensurate with the number of summons issued.  We will be on dangerous ground if LE is allowed to be judge, jury and executioner in order to line their own pockets.  Difficult at best to modify behavior without destroying the golden goose.  Conversely, skilled fishermen who know how to properly pursue their quarry are choosing to stay away.  Unfortunately the catch and release areas (fly zones) have done little to curtail snagging or lifting.  The problem is endemic throughout the system with little hope of turnaround without the solution starting and ending with the individual.  
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 10:26:16 (permalink)
    The theory the state pushed to the local with doing away with legal snagging was that it would bring a better economy to the region. Folks would be buying more and better tackle instead of $0.25 weighted treble hooks.
    I get that theory , we just need the state to put it into effect instead of turning the blind eye..
    Db, I'm sure the court gets a number of tickets . I think as 2 b stated , their powers are limited and most of the tickets get tossed or the fines are so miniiscule that there really is no deturrant .
    Not faulting the encon or the courts but the system sucks and do the people who snag just to get a " hook up "

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 10:43:24 (permalink)
    It at least used to be that the fines went into the general fund.
    The court got minimal amount for doing the extra work and the DEC LE got no return.
    Kind of hard to get to fired up under those terms

Raised fines with a progressive fine structure (first fish $500, second fish$1000 plus the first $500 and so on) with the fines split between LE (for more enforcement) the court involed and the general fund might make it worthwhile and get results.
    Anyone obeying the law has no reason to oppose this.
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/13 11:11:24 (permalink)
    Unfortunate how deeply inbedded the illegal activity has become in the river culture.  Just like the speeding on the highway....it has been accepted as a societal norm and will be very hard to extinguish.  It could be done, and yes enforcement of the laws would go a long way toward that end, but it is the fishing culture that has to change or we are all just wasting our breath.

wishin i was fishin
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/14 08:06:11 (permalink)
    Certainly right on that BB.
    Letting snagging in the first place was a huge mistake.
    The DEC figured that out.
    It has led to the instant gratification generation of fishers we have now.
    Easier is better.
    Watch the boober.
    Get a fish counter.
    Those are the people really fishing.
    What else can we expect out of the people that don't care about the law or other peoples rights but only about themselves?

Again fine a few people a couple thou and take there equipment and maybe the message would get across that it isn't worth it.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/14 08:59:41 (permalink)
    This is what I learned in my years in LE:
         Summonses and stiff fines don't deter anything. 
         The fear of being caught doesn't stop the illegal behavior.
         The confiscation of property is nothing but a temporary setback.
    Calling for a sliding scale for chronic infractions of EnCon violations when we rarely treat crimes (misdemeanors and felonies) in such a manner is not the answer especially if you have the ability to pay.
    Suspending/revoking licenses does not work.  Think I'm wrong, you would be shocked to know how many people still drive with suspended/revoked licenses. 
    So what's next...  A year in the county jail?
    At no other time and place is the disregard for the law so widespread as during silly season.  Unfortunately egos get in the way of fair chase and common sense.  
    The draconian solution is to make all tributaries catch and release only.  Perhaps not being able to keep fish would drive those not interested in the rules of fair chase off the fishery.

post edited by troutbum21 - 2014/11/14 09:01:32
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/14 09:04:16 (permalink)
    The most disturbing part of all this to me is the slop over to steel head.  On the erie tribs the snagging is rampant.  Now i see it more and more on the ontario tribs.

wishin i was fishin
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/14 09:06:20 (permalink)
    Pretty sure I remember a fairly high up in the DEC telling lucky the solution would be to stop the stocking.

Don't want that but a large decrease in stocking numbers to the point that getting skunked is a real probability I could live with.
    And catch and release until enough salmon were in the hatchery to sustain the lowered number.

Make it hard and the dregs don't show up as the down years proved.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/14 10:56:50 (permalink)
    Think closing the hatchery is kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Not in the picture,
    I do however, believe a one fish daily limit of any kind of fish would stop a bit of the madness.
    That means if you have one on the stringer ya gotta stop-period- even in the private areas.
    Also a two fish a year limit might help albeit  bit hard to enforce but it sends a message. Those freezing, smoking and guiding could be checked for ownership of fillets quite easily.
    Imagine if each license came with two tags that MUST be placed on the fish upon keeping it-with a heavy fine and loss of fishing license and equipment loss for anyone possessing  an untagged fish.
     A similar tag system is  how it is for Atlantics in Nova Scotia. No more tags no more fishing.
    Of course an improved enforcement effort would be nice but its never happened yet and unlikely in the future.
     There are only so many wardens and hunting seasons are open bout the same time the fish run so they get spread thin .
    Closing tribs because of improper methodology is like closing the highway systems cause people speed. Cart before the horse and total unwillingness to face the real issue.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/11/14 11:06:30
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/14 11:52:40 (permalink)
    Man you're hitting the nail right on the head rt... Same for you troutbum... I was gonna refer to new Brunswick and Nova Scotia tagging system as well. Maybe a lake Ontario tribs stamp in which you receive the hypothetical amount of tags per species... But then the cleaning stations and smoke houses will complain... Its a lose lose battle in the long run
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: snaggers beware 2014/11/14 11:59:05 (permalink)
    Do you speed when you see a patrol car sitting on the side of the road, (unless your DUI or a complete moron) not likely.  However, it's 'pedal to the medal' when the patrol car is outa sight.    We all know there is not enough enforcement personnel to watch every sq. ft. of field and stream every hour of, every day.  We all know summons issued for violations will, for the most part, be thrown out of court.  You should know those charged with law enforcement are certainly stretched to their limits.  You should know, the budget for these agencies, will not allow for a abundance of full time personnel.    Many of the cases being thrown out of court are results of no-shows by the arresting officer, faults found in the way the summons was haphazardly written and, the court being backlogged with other cases.  

In my book, fines received should be returned to the coffers of the agencies for use in that budget.  From that fund stipends could be used as a token of appreciation and, issued to those that work part time.   The idea, in this case, is to put more uniforms into field and stream where they will be seen and seen again.

Let's go back to the boy seen dragging fish and assumed to be snagging with, daddy standing across the stream.  Not likely anybody taking it upon themselves to confront the boy or, his father.  Not likely the boy will pay attention to what he hears from you anyway and, daddy may feel the urge to tell you to go mind your own business let alone, you could be cited for harassing a child.  Now dawn a uniform and replay the scenario, maybe the kid will listen maybe he won't but, he is left with a vision and there is record of him receiving a lecture.  Daddy steps in the way, daddy gets's a summons for interfering and because there is additional help the arresting officer can take his time and write the summons properly and, appear at the hearing. 

Also, there is a coalition with many states today that share in the information on the slobs breaking the law.  Losing your privilege to fish/hunt in one state, lose it in other states.  The more data compiled on an individual the more info to get a conviction the next time, regardless of what (member) state the info came from.  But that info does not exist if there is no one to write it.

Not trying to be long winded, just saying, 'seeing is believing' and/or 'ought of sight; out of mind'.

PS. You see me walking down the street and you just see another individual.  You see me walking down the street dressed in uniform.....

PSS. for those having visions of creating a 'Police State' scenario; what have you to hide?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: