Could have been.......

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/11/05 18:15:41 (permalink)

Could have been.......

A banner day, but it was not.  Started out at the usual spot right at after light Even though I was late oddly enough my rock at the head was open so I bit, unfortunately the fish had other ideas.     The folks right across from me had a banner morning, the folks above me  did ok and the folks way down on the tail rocks did ok. I managed 4 takes and 2 decent battles, but they were not to be.  The whole place shut down at around 10 and I left at 11. Decided to take the long hard march so I pretty much worked from Pineville up to the snag and back. All people I spoke to had the same report, did ok in the am and it shut down. There were a ton of boats to fight for spots with. They reported the same too.  Many were pulling  what looked like small spoons or flat fish. Saw one fish taken on that. I had one good head shake at the snag and that was it from 12 to 4 then I had enough. Tripped over a rock crossing at the fridge and ended up wet for the walk back and man did that speed up the pace.
Fly of the day was a flesh fly and red and white sucker spawn.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

16 Replies Related Threads

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/05 18:35:37 (permalink)
    agree with TB and L. There are less (or so it seems) fish (steel) in the river and the fish that are there have been beat up and holding tight lipped. I saw a few stacked up in some riffs, but they would not touch anything. I also saw a lone king today. What I am finally seeing is eggs here and there in the shallows.  We need a gully washer to clean things up  and stir things up.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/05 18:53:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Clint.
    Nice to have young legs.

fischnmachine
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 06:18:56 (permalink)
    I did alright yesterday, fished upper and upper middle. Managed 7 hook ups but only 2 stayed buttoned. Interestingly washed out beads were preferred by most fish.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 06:21:36 (permalink)
    nice job on the effort Clint.sad to hear about the fewer fish and most of the ones you've seen being beat up. That right there is the very fact that I usually pray for high water starting middle of October. These fish came in an abundance and got the crap kicked out of them by all the slashers. I know everybody loves the 350 to 500 flow, but that's not a natural setting for a river. A river should come up and down naturally with the influx of water from rain. This in my opinion is one of the biggest downfalls of the Salmon River. It has pretty much created a picture perfect ideal fishing condition for most of the season.yes everyone wants to hook a lot of fish. But what about the fish? And now we have a sold out weekend for hotels coming up... I never remember hearing anything of that nature for the month of November in the years from the past... What will happen when the steelhead stocks crash and the returning numbers are way lower than the past 4/5 banner years for steelhead???
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 07:09:19 (permalink)
    And why would the steelhead stocks crash? Past estimates of natural recruitment to the fishery for steelhead have been minimal.  Whatever caused the decline last time seems to be under control, and there has been no talk of a different mix in stocking or a reduction in numbers.  If for some reason it does happen, and is not part of a lakewide fishery collapse (a very real possibility when you stock so many predators dependent on one main food source over which you have no control; if you don't believe it could happen, look up recent events in Lake Huron) after a couple of seasons of P+M, the instant gratification, high numbers types will go back to the jetties or wherever they slunk out of to come to Pulaski, and the  expectation of the remaining diehards will go back to what it probably should remain even in days of high numbers, a day with a fish is a good day.

And a lot of guys will switch to PA and Ohio and go stand on Chartist's shoulders.

L13
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 07:28:45 (permalink)
    Pa has been way down for about the last 5 years....still plenty of fish, but nothing like before the gill lice infestation and low water years that kept them in the lake to spawn.

wishin i was fishin
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 10:46:26 (permalink)
    Numbers have been down in Pa because the "other" predator (walleye) numbers increased and they are eating the smolts that are stocked in the spring as they enter the lake.There is is no natural reproduction of Steelhead in Pa,those streams are way too warm in the summer.
    I remember years past when everyone on the SR had coolers full of Steelhead when the limit was three per day,then the numbers dwindled and a one trout per day became the reg.,after that the numbers of returning fish increased to what we have recently.However,the number of Steelhead anglers is insane the last couple years and that could be bad news for number of fish present in the system.
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 11:33:53 (permalink)
    Yep walleye have taken their share.  And the 3/10/12 a day guys surely do account for losses.  Those spawning off shore and the lice are also reducing the numbers according to the biologists I have talked to who are studying the returns and general health of the steel head as well as the rest of the lake system.
    No easy answers, but the fact is the numbers are drastically down from 5-10 years ago.
    Funny thing is as the numbers have dropped so has the fishing pressure.  Maybe of we are lucky the same will happen in NY as guys continue to cry on the net that the fishing sucks.

wishin i was fishin
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 12:59:30 (permalink)
    Lucky no answer here... Just hypothetically speaking. Glad to here the different opinions as that's what I wanted to hear. I agree completely that 1 fish in an outting is great. That's what I was taught. My first few years were phenomenal followed by the mid /late 90's crash... But even then we muscled it out and always managed some good days. As we know, the past ten years for salmon have been great with a few incredible years.. But then look at this past season... I don't care what anyone says about this season numbers wise for salmon... The numbers were way down. I don't see his it "couldn't be possible for steelhead. The past four seasons have been phenomenal for steelhead. This should be a good one but I don't see it getting much better than it has been and I can't seeing staying the same as its been... Bow, no scientific backing here, but from my close observations for 25 years now I've never noticed anything to stay the same for more than 4-6 years... Those gill maggots were pretty bad for a few years but not so bad now... Who knows??? I just don't see it staying the same. And yes bear, it would be nice to see fisherman numbers go down as it doesn't seem worth the while to fish combat style in the cold for maybe a fish or two... Just my two cents...
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 13:35:18 (permalink)
    I'm happy with one fish a day or no fish a day sometimes.  There are days I don't see anyone else crazy enough to be out there fishing....and those are very special.
    On the other hand there are days when i go slide in to the tressle hole on columbus day just to enjoy the show.
    I just love to be on the water

wishin i was fishin
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 17:36:39 (permalink)
    Salmon numbers this year were low  for really no reason, just a few guesses. It is not out of the question for a bad year of steel. Fischmachine like I mentioned above this was the first day of really seeing  of eggs around in the gravel. Not in the usual numbers, but they were there. I have caught a salmon on my birthday 11/2 for many years in a row now. Not this year, only saw one.  I will say I could have stayed where I was and probably had several more hook UPS,  probably landing some, but it is time to learn new waters and get out of that rut

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 17:37:42 (permalink)
    I must have missed the beaten up fish somehow.
    Everyone I hooked was smokin hot and built like Schwarzenegger.
    The few I landed and ones I helped land all were clean with no gaping wounds.

Yes there are a shipload of nozzles and they are knocking down the numbers by filling the trunk but where I have fished mostly fish have been released fairly quickly.
    Yes there are a lot of fishers but I have been able to fish good water without having to worry about others crossing my swing or my swing crossing there drift.

The LOTAC clean and fish tourny has a lot to do with the sold out weekend.

In my opinion about noon today the fishing has changed.
    They seemed to stop chasing the swing.
    Let the days of the high stickers commence.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 18:52:49 (permalink)
    TB most of the literally beat up  fish were up in the zone. The others I just meant they see alot of presentations and have less places to ''hide '' due  to the low water .  The few I saw mid river were clean and full of pizz, they just did not like what I had.  Not sure if I will due the F&C this weekend, but I will go sunday if I do not.

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 19:51:51 (permalink)
    Still some fiesty steel to be had. Usually 5-10 days are hot out of each month November and december... Time and place is key and luck is very key... Good luck to all... Still shocked over sold out weekend for hotels in November.

Clint, good for you for pushing yourself to explore the horizon!!!
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 19:53:44 (permalink)
    Bear, amen brother... You are a true diehard!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Could have been....... 2014/11/06 19:56:10 (permalink)
    Even the Jailwater was sold out Sat night, go figure..  I think it's all due to the LOTAC Tourney myself..
    Sunday and Monday were wide open everywhere..
    I hope they leave some for Tuna and crew..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Jump to: