They're everywhere

Author
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/26 15:09:05 (permalink)

They're everywhere

I had a few hours , so I threw some stuff in the car and went and looked at a hole on the Battenkill I hadn't fished for at least 3 or 4 years. It's probably the most famous pool, and several of my old fishing buddies have had their ashes thrown off the bridge that spans it. When I got there, two guys were rippin' up the water with Spey rods. They got out in short order and came up to lecture me. They hadn't had a single take, but  I found out that the steelhead in the SR are very weak cousins of the Skeena, B.C,  steel and that nothing more than a 5 wt. is needed , even for the biggest steel that swim the SR.  They're very inferior.  I also learned there's not many steel in the river yet, and his buddy in Altmar informed him they were jumping out in the estuary. His buddy will let them know when they're in the upper river, a couple of weeks from now.  I also learned I don't know how to get there, and he gave me directions for a new route that will add at least an hour to my drive. When I told him I did suicide runs occasionally, he tried to give me his number and wanted in on some trips. Dumb, uniformed, azzhat that I am, I somehow interrupted him and forgot to get it.  Now thoroughly  schooled in the error of my ways, I got in the water and caught a bunch of wild browns  on my very non-Spey equipment.  Lately, everywhere I go I run into SR experts that school me on how it's really done. Some run contrary to what I read here from people that live close to the river like Dime and Clint, or have many decades experience,  so I know I can't trust any info here.  My luck cup runneth over....
post edited by fichy - 2014/10/26 15:17:00

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

6 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: They're everywhere 2014/10/26 16:44:59 (permalink)
    Nice brownie!!! My brother fished the battenkill back in September in Vermont. He was quite pleased with it. He managed to catch a few good brookies that were very finnicky and only willing to take size 22 tricos ... He loved the challenge though... He said the areas he fished were pretty thick with brush right to the bank...

I know the types you're referring to charlie. Just like theguy I saw tail hooking up every few casts in the lfz... Boasting to others about how it takes 30 + years of experience to have the success he has... I've only got 25 years experience... That must be why every thing I've done thus far has been totally wrong :)
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: They're everywhere 2014/10/26 16:56:53 (permalink)
    Yes it does seem that pompous Dbags are everywhere.

Nice work on all counts
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: They're everywhere 2014/10/26 17:10:21 (permalink)
    I hear ya loud and clear brother. I was appalled when I seen my burial spot on the front page of a I Love NY rag a few years back.. Now this is not a roadside or easy parking access place so I was a bit ticked..
    The person who submitted the photo is a well known red head guide outta a well known "resort" up there.. She has been trying to introduce the "spey way" on that tiny ADK river.. Thankfully, it hasn't taken off..

We , You,  know how to fish and ways to catch fish.. I don't care how one fishes as long as they do so within the fair chase guidelines .. Folks who tell us the "right" way just rub me the wrong way..
    All we and I try to do is help the mis informed or those asking questions and wanting to learn.. I'm still learning but think I'll pass on the lessons you were givin today..
    From the pic and your having fun with the fishes, it looks like your just clueless :)

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: They're everywhere 2014/10/26 17:26:50 (permalink)
    Well I will say there are WAY more steel in the river than saloons this point. Fishing was very tough today.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: They're everywhere 2014/10/26 19:31:47 (permalink)
    The gorge on the Genny looks like a long island beach being blitzed by bluefish, gulls everywhere diving for the shad that are keeping what rustheads have come in very busy. Pinners, spey gods, one handers and spinner and bobber chuckers all shared equally in the bounty of goose eggs this weekend! 

L13
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: They're everywhere 2014/10/26 20:42:16 (permalink)
    I live, lurk and learn.  Nice job Charlie.  About the only thing missing is a narrative on how the Kings of Spey watched as you put on a clinic fishing the waters they had just whipped to a froth.  It's always gratifying when you open up a can of whoop****after they strike out but have the temerity to tell you how to.
    HT-You really need to lay off that cigar smoking redhead (RF).  I'm starting to think you have a thing for her.  LOL

Jump to: