Helpful ReplyHot!_________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 33
Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3712
  • Reward points: 0
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/15 18:42:31 (permalink)
"From my understanding, neither Cowher or Tomlin had/have much say on the drafting of players."

Your understanding is incorrect in this instance.

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6699
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/15 21:01:56 (permalink)
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/16 23:44:12 (permalink)
Ben is in a bad position right now. He is probably the best ever at what he does. Passer to extend a play, or at least in the salary cap huge contract era (many others extend and run, Ben extended and throws). Now, he is being out Benned by Flacco, and Bortles, Manuel and others will likely be doing it soon enough. Ben is not a great or even good pocket passer, he is good at getting a ball to a catchable position, after everyone has been running around in circles for 30 seconds. He was also really good at getting a long ball to a catchable position. He's still got a little of that magic left, but nowhere near his prime. He was never very good at short touch passes or timing routes that need to be precise. Put on the right team, he has maybe 3 more years of good/great play. If the Stillers with their current roster resigns him, they are done. Although, still in the .500 race for a few of those, like this year. He needs to go, and they need a pocket passer. It doesn't need to be top 5 pick. Someone will take Marriota high, which is great. He'll be an instant plug and play, like RG3 and Newton, but limited lifespan. They'll need a top 16 or so pick, and definitely a gamble. They can't be fooled like Cleveland, and take the guy that's game is exploiting NCAA weaknesses, and not showing NFL ready skills. I doubt they will. When they drafted Ben, Cowher wanted Rivers (or so reported). Both were NFL ready players. Would the Stillers have done as well with Rivers, we'll never know. I do know, Rivers is just hitting his prime, while Ben's peak is a few years past. Rivers and the other true pocket passers can make a mediocre receiver a stud, since passes are out quick, tight spiral, right on their hands. Just the style, Rivers is a pure pocket passer. Stillers need to remember the Kordell experiment, instant success is not worth it. If another "Ben" is available, don't be fooled, there likely won't be another guy ever "outBenning" Ben's prime for a long time. Go with what works. Brady, Manning, Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Luck, Cutler, Brees, Ryan, Stafford, Romo, Feely, and others. They are the type of guy they need to grab (if available, either draft or hiding on a bench somewhere). It's going to be growing pains, but do it now. They need to admit rebuilding, and do it. By now, I mean, after this year (draft, trade, free agency).

Go Pitt. Steelhead James Conner!!! From Erie, probably never steelheaded, but would be pretty awesome if that name stuck... Chokies always good for a loss on prime time though. How about Voytik being used for what gave him a top ten prospect rating for the first time. Not really a fan of the rushing QB, but what he is good at. I understand that isn't the offense they want to run, and also depth behind, but good coaching is giving what you have the best chance to win.
post edited by Porktown - 2014/10/16 23:50:26
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8209
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/19 21:49:58 (permalink)
Manning just set the new record for TD passes. Thomas (88) caught the record setting pass.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/20 15:53:21 (permalink)
Browns sure know how to keep momentum going...

Stillers are lucky they played Jacksonville a few weeks ago, or likely would have done the same.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/20 17:34:58 (permalink)
Texans are going to test the Stillers.
Houston.... 17 Pittsburgh...... 9

Both 3 & 3 going into tonights game.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/20 20:50:28 (permalink)
UH-OH...... Texans 13 Stillers 24

Fans booed when Stillers had to punt. Imagine that!!!

Ben just fumbled...... Houston recovered.

Imagine that!!!!

All right 'the beard' intercepts Stillirs score on the turnover!!!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/10/20 21:55:53

Dim Mak
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 332
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/20 21:15:14 (permalink)
For most of the last 50 years Dan Rooney has called the shots with the Steelers.   The team never became great until the old man turned the reigns over to him.     Now in seeing Dan all hunched over coming to and from the owners meetings I fear he may not be "the man" in the Steeler's front office much longer.   I fear for their future.   Who's Going to the Superbowl?   Definitely not Pgh, and Christ I hope not Dallas nor Baltimore.    But I think it will be the Ravens.   Still a great defense.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/20 21:37:09 (permalink)
10-4 on Dallas.

I think we all know where the Rooney's made the mistake.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/20 21:53:27 (permalink)
They need this 2nd quarter luck to last another 10 games...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/20 21:58:21 (permalink)
Hey Porktown I'll second that motion....

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/20 22:06:28 (permalink)
for how bad they looked in the first quarter, I though being down 13-3 at half would be lucky... I can't imagine they can keep up the luck though. Bell is a beast, other than him, Lady Luck is their 1st half MVP. I'm enjoying it, but can't see it lasting all game. Although, Texans aren't exactly the Broncos.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7056
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/21 10:07:11 (permalink)
You know how they say you have to play 60 minutes of football?  I guess sometimes 3 minutes is just enough, eh?

Dim Mak
For most of the last 50 years Dan Rooney has called the shots with the Steelers.   The team never became great until the old man turned the reigns over to him.     Now in seeing Dan all hunched over coming to and from the owners meetings I fear he may not be "the man" in the Steeler's front office much longer.   I fear for their future.  

The future is now & has been for 6-8 years.  Where have you been?  Dan turned the reigns over to his son years ago.  Then, accepted the position of US Ambassador to Ireland, for 5-6 years, before retiring from it.  He's still around the team some, but Art II runs it & has for quite a while.  You are correct, however, that Dan was the man & Art is bungling things up pretty good.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/21 10:55:57 (permalink)
I went to bed at half time with 'visions of a win; dancing in my head'. (Was I dreaming or did I see Pouncey leaving the line to block?)

This morning I watched the news with only one eye open and my fingers in my ears. Great to see they held on and won.

If it weren't raining cats and dogs just before daybreak (just starting to clear up) I'd still be wondering.

I'm sure yinz have watched the movie THE LONGEST YARD. Wellll
there's a sequel coming out; THE LONGEST SECOND HALF starring, Mike Tomlin.

Texan Nation should be proud; their team gave , one of the (use to be) best teams in the NFL a run for their money.

Go Stillers!!!!!!

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/21 13:47:15 (permalink)
walcat
They practiced that 3 min. all wk.!!!!!!

That there is funny; I don't care who you are!!!!!

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/21 14:00:53 (permalink)
walcat
They practiced that 3 min. all wk.!!!!!!

Keisel tipping a pass into the earhole of Timmons' helmut, then catching is in their playbook!  Anyone else notice the Antonio Brown pass to Lance Moore, was a call by Todd Haley and Mike Holmgren.  Maybe you guys are right about Tomlin.  Until Holmgren stepped in, they were looking like crap.

Not a bad second half.  Not great, but they did what they needed to do.  Although letting them march down the field in 2 minutes at the end of the game was pathetic.  The timeout right before their onside kick, that John Taintkiss Gruden called a great idea, came too close to backfiring.  I don't understand it at all.  You are going to keep the same guys on the field, in whatever you see.  If they think you see something after calling a timeout, are they really going to run the same kick play?  If the Stillers hired John Gruden, I might stop watching Stillers games.  Although, if that gets his turd stained lips off of the air, then maybe it would be worth it.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/21 14:33:08 (permalink)
So tell us, Porktown, how do you feel about John Gruden?

No need to worry about Gruden coaching the Stillers; the Rooney's couldn't afford him.

wayne c
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/22 12:29:20 (permalink)
For me, this game wasn't much....  The opposition was lead by a not so good team, lead by the high flyin' RYAN FITZPATRICK n'at. lmao.   For me, it was basically a "pick 'em" game.  

This week, they will be torched....  500 yards for whatever receiver is covered by Cortez Allen.

Mark it down.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/22 12:43:45 (permalink)
There you go...............................

P!szing on Tomlin's parade!!! Jeeeez.... cut the guy a break; he is a good coach, just ask him.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/22 13:46:19 (permalink)
wayne c
lead by the high flyin' RYAN FITZPATRICK 

According to John Butkis Gruden in the first quarter, Fitzpatrick is on his way to the Hall of Fame, and maybe a Nobel Prize.
Agree though, Texans are an average team at best. 

Colts might be the hottest team in NFL.  I don't think the Stillers defense has a chance.  Let's hope that Bryant is for real, or at least gets some competition brewing for that 2nd & 3rd reciever spot.  Ben seemed to be somewhat accurate on Monday, if he can keep that up and give his receivers a chance at the ball, there might be a #2 & #3 receiver.  At the very least, the Colts have to respect Bryant for the first few drives, which can mean getting Bell rolling, and keeping it out of Luck's hands.  If Lady Luck is on their side still, they can possibly pull out a close win.  If not, Colts are hands down a better team.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/22 20:22:06 (permalink)
I went....... I saw...... I am having a blond moment. wsssup?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/10/22 20:29:21

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/26 19:18:48 (permalink)
The suspense is killing me............  Can they hang on??   Goooo Stillers!!!!!

gymi03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 400
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/28 11:30:24 (permalink)
walcat
You guys and Tomlin can talk all you want about everything but the bottom line is still  "THEY SUCK ALL THE WAY AROUND!!!!!"

i love how fickle burgh fans can be and ima diehard.....lol

how long did the steelers contend for 8-10 years. teams, all of'em have to go thru rebuilding, its the nature game. suk it up gents. 

oh, 51 points, arguably the best rb and wideout in the league, yep, they suk....lol....smh
wayne c
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/28 12:18:27 (permalink)
Not sure when all this 8 to 10 years of dominance too place.  Back in the 70's maybe?...  They missed playoffs 4 of last 8 years.  5 of the last 11.   With possibly 3 in a row if this year is another miss which it certainly looked like at the beginning of the season. 

Also noteworthy, on the other side of the coin, in regard to fans being fickle and too high of expectations; they have only missed the playoffs 3 straight years twice since 1972!   Once for 4 seasons with the fantastic Mark Malone followed by the great Bubby Brister at the helm from 1985 to 1988.   And once a three year stretch with that notorious dead-nuts accurate Korn-del stewart at the helm from 1998-2000....  And that's it...     That tells us it shouldn't take that long to "rebuild" (3 years plus) especially when you have a franchise QB still in his prime and a "fair" amount of other decent pieces already in place.

As for dominance, look to New England who missed the playoffs a whopping 2 years total since 2001.

Fickle would be basing opinions on one game to determine if a team is good or not, then changing again the next week if they scored 3.   That 51 points is meaningless if they miss the post season yet again.  What it does tell me is there is some decent talent overall on the offensive side of the ball.   Everyone knew Bell was a good back.   Brown a great receiver.   But the supporting cast ranged from poor to 'question mark'.   Some of the question marks are moving to the positive side.   The O' line, a receiver or two.    And although things are looking a bit better, the defense still aint contender material by any stretch of the imagination, even if the O can keep up decent play.

Id never say they suck all 'round, but are headed in the right direction maybe.  Offense still has some improving to do to promote consistency, and the D is still a mess.  They gave up big numbers again, and the pressure they got on the qb was an aberration.  Indys line isn't a good one, and they also appear to have just shat a turd.
post edited by wayne c - 2014/10/28 12:23:12

gymi03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 400
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/28 12:26:43 (permalink)
yep, ur fickle....lol
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/28 12:35:40 (permalink)
What part of 'Tomlin needs to go' don't these 'we won a game' fanatics not get? Tomlin was HANDED a TEAM and he let it self destruct to the point of needing to rebuild. If Tomlin couldn't KEEP a winning team how will he be able to build a winning team?

wayne c
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/28 14:00:52 (permalink)
"these 'we won a game' fanatics not get?"

The "blind yinzers" don't care if they go 1 and 15, every 'stiller' is stronger, faster and smarter than every other teams players, as is the coaching staff and anyone pointing out obvious short-comings and failures are "fickle" lmao.

As for Tomlin, never cared for him from day one.   Was better candidates available, even on their own staff.  Obviously not the sharpest tool.   But realistically, I don't think hes going anywhere soon, and if they end up with enough talent, he wont be able to screw things up enough to prevent some level of success.
post edited by wayne c - 2014/10/28 14:04:25

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/28 15:04:26 (permalink)
Wayne I think there was only one candidate the Rooney's were concentrating on. I believe he was picked to be a ambassador if my memory serves me right. As for Tomlin; I think he's demonstrated his leadership skills but, hopes to get enough talent before he leaves so, he can say he built that team.

ridgehunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 826
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/10/30 00:10:13 (permalink)
If they can continue to play like they did last week, they have half a chance of making the playoffs.

You can blame the coaching staff for how they've been playing, but It's really player performance that matters.

Last week, none of the players sucked. Prior to that, all the players sucked.  Go figure.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: _________ Is Going To The Super Bowl!! 2014/11/02 21:21:49 (permalink)
Broncos get their azzs handed to them by the Pats.

Roethlisberger just got his azz handed to him; sacked three consecutive plays!!!!

I'm so happy.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 33
Jump to: