Mid to late week report

Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3067
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/11 19:41:57 (permalink)

Mid to late week report

Wife, dog and I got in later Tuesday. Upriver lots LOADED -stayed that way all week till we left today (sat ) AM.
     Down town and generally all the lower areas loaded with guys shoulder to shoulder as well.
Stayed mid river away from the crowds and fished pockets along the banks and below structure near the edges=with some small effort one could avoid crowds. Fish were not seen running  for 3 days and I  did move around those uncrowded Mid areas a bit.
  Only saw TWO active beds and very few if any actually running up. Most of the few fish  found were holding in pockets- some hit and some didn't. One day zip on pink and they wanted blue the next day just the opposite.
 Would rather get skunked off alone than get hookups in a conga line.
   Kiddie seemed  to have a lot of open space most all week and today early went to the Church lot  just to watch and there were only 3 guys on the wall- below the bridge to Ellis and Tressel was packed as were the upper lots.  
  Most of those I spoke to on the water mid river were skunked and saw little or no movement. There were some reports of a small pod here and there on the river for the lucky few who happened upon them. 
    Hatchery was packed solid with fish so a lot had moved up at some point but never enough at one time to get much notice from what I have read this year. Have to believe there is a lot of night running by small numbers that  have learned to hide out in holes and pockets for the most part  in the sunlight.
  VERY few beds and VERY few deads.
Overall there are still a lot more fishermen than fish IMHO despite reports of decent activity that may not have even been reported as small  pushes  in past years. 
Seems to be getting too late in the season IMHO for a real run but will try again next week as soon as the holiday weekend crowd leaves.
Only saw 2 Steel running mid river and no Hos at all.
   Saw fish jumping in the Estuary and mentioned it while visiting the office at DSR ( didn't fish, just asked for a daily report)- that  20 jumping in 15 min in VERY high winds the other day was what I had seen and told them about . Seems like they may have pushed in the next day or so.
 Can hardly wait  3 days to go back--Its a disease.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/10/11 19:44:46

16 Replies Related Threads

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/11 20:24:21 (permalink)
    Trev they are getting moldy oldie way up and more and more dead ones as the week went on. I had 5 or 6 float by me Friday morning.  Seen a few pairs on gravel too. Not many eggs seen around though. Gonna try some flesh flies this year (just a bunny leach in flesh color) now that that food is in the system.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/11 21:47:59 (permalink)
    Mostly oldies in the hatchery brook Clint but a number of fresh fish mixed in  too.
    Ya hearing any report from boat guys about fish outside ??
    A real run of most anything at this  point might be kinda nice at least  once this year.
    The fish reported as running well later this week sounded pretty nice but on stream reviews were kinda average- guys reported a 'nice' bunch of fish but no blockbuster- lol.
     I saw very few on stringers this week  and  short-if any- lines at cleaning stations.
     Hate to keep sounding so negative this year.
    Most of us  regulars have got into fish and had some decent times---but it aint even close to normal IMHO.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/10/11 22:15:59
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/12 03:18:46 (permalink)
    Definitely not a normal year g3.
    Never enough to call it a run but a steady trickle.
     Almost as if it is all wild fish that weren't  mass produced so each has its personal agenda so to speak.
    Not the we were all hatched in a 10 day period.
    All fed as much as we needed so we all turned to smolts at the same time and the all matured at once so we all run together of hatchery fish.
    No evidence you this crackpot theory 
    Just laying it out there.
    Now the question in my mind is are there hatchery fish to come or what happened to them?
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/12 07:21:28 (permalink)
    Kinda strange year. Glad you had some action, RG. I think you can say if you put some time in and knew how to fish you could get some fish.
    I never saw a line of more than 2-3 at the cleaning stations. Did they clip the adipose in '11, or was that a short term study?
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/12 08:11:49 (permalink)
    I asked a guy in the hatchery a few years ago and the  study was supposed to stop after 2011.  The majority of the run is age 2 (average 33 inches) and 3 (average 36 inches). The 4 year old fish are very limited of around 5%. So fish caught that are below 35 inches you cannot tell.  Pen reared fish which are placed in streams and other rivers are continued to be clipped. They should imprint on where they are reared. There is also the slim chance of those fish or Canadian clipped fish slipping in the river. He showed me a pic of a clipped steel caught in the river that was stocked in Canada and just happened in.

Next study should be ho's

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/12 08:27:19 (permalink)
    Agreed Clint- looking for 'the fin' is no longer the sure all of how things are going between the two types of Kings.
    One may hope that sooner or later there will be some kinda explanation of this years activity- likely after the normal run times when an educated theory is arrived upon.
     Frankly- at this point- I think all species are involved.
    Hope like heck its only a one season thing.
    Really dislike sounding so negative  however this  season is not a reflection of what has made the SR famous.
     Have a great admiration for the fishery and those managing it- the negativity is no reflection on their efforts - likely something out of their control.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/10/12 09:09:54
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/12 10:06:10 (permalink)
    And here I thought  that  tax funded and endowed studies were replicated ad nauseum. Good to see they aren't, but it would be nice to have a window into the repro and cyclic phenomena. How many people do you think would travel to the SR if they were only going to hook-up a few  Kings in a week?  This year may not be an anomaly, but an adjustment to  long term conditions in the lake and river.
    post edited by fichy - 2014/10/12 10:07:18
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/12 11:14:45 (permalink)
    Agreed Charlie- this is almost a throwback to some seasons of long ago.
     Actually many I spoke to haven't hooked up ANY Kings this week.
    With fisherfolks numbers breaking records recently this will almost certainly have some affect  for some upcoming seasons.
    Guys aren't gonna use their vac time and hard earned dollars to come up with so few fish and so much competition.
    Some cleaning stations have already closed and unfortunately this may be a make or break indicator for some businesses -not necessarily this season as folks showed up- but next year ????.
     Hopefully  whatever  caused this may not have an affect on the King returns for the next year or two as they are cyclical - but the Steel and Hos are kinda slow this year IMHO  as well???.
    Hopefully at the end of the day its determined to have been caused by the unusual Summer Lake conditions.
    Some reported plenty of bait fish but no kings .
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/10/12 11:46:44
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/12 12:18:22 (permalink)
    I have heard that the financial impact of a poor season was being felt at a number of cleaning stations.  When I fished the OZ the third week in September the guide mentioned that one cleaning station was down 8,000 fish cleaned from the previous year.  The next few seasons will tell whether or not we are in a downturn in the fish cycle.  I hope this season is an anomaly but we won't know until next year's run.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/12 13:04:41 (permalink)
    Actually kinda thought the Steel numbers dropped in the  last season or two and the Hos have definitely dropped off quite a bit since their great  runs a few years back.
    (sound familiar ?)
    -More doom and gloom.
    Geeezzzzzh == hate to sound so negative bout a place I have invested much time and money  into  and  care so much about.
     Guess its not so much negativity  as it is concern.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/12 13:26:34 (permalink)
    How about last years epic run. Could it be that MOST of the two year olds ran last year decreasing the numbers of three year olds front this year. Couple that with a cold winter and maybe the twos not running as much along with poor flood year returns  and this year would equal a poor run.

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/12 20:01:33 (permalink)
    Well thought possibility Clint, did see lotta shorts last season.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/13 09:25:38 (permalink)
    While I have not participated to any great extent in the madness known as river salmon fishing for a long time, when the runs were first returning, I was out there from early August until mid November at least 2 times a week, and for a couple of longer trips usually in that span as well.  The conventional wisdom about the run that developed back then was, you might see a fish here and there in August especially if there was rain or a release, again, with good water conditions it might be worth while Labor Day weekend, it would build through September, with a few steelhead mixed in, and it would peak Columbus day weekend, with the chromers starting to be a significant portion of the run after that.  So maybe it is still just  late, everything else was this spring summer and fall. As to the night runners, maybe they were all that escaped and spawned in past years, I know when I was at the ballpark in Late September last fall for a couple of hours, nothing swimming up through there in daylight was going anywhere but to Connecticut or Jersey, etc.  Natural selection, remove all the day runners, let the night runners get upstream and successfully spawn, pretty soon it is all night runners.

As to numbers stocked, where when, why speculate when all you need to do is read the biologist reports out of Cape Vincent on the DEC website.

Also, it is not just government that repeats scientific work, it is pretty standard that if the finding of a study is in any way controversial, the study gets repeated in an identical way to validate it.  The fin clip was repeated for a number of years, but according to DEC at the SOL's last spring, they are moving on to Cohos.

L13 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/13 09:56:17 (permalink)
    Again this is only based off of the lake reports posted on the Internet so other that " reports " it's not based on scientific data.
    Out on the lake the majority of salmon being caught with consistency were 2 year old class fish. It was reported that class fish was plentiful and healthy. How that high catch rate this summer will effect next years run will again , yet to be seen.
    Not having been to the river myself and only going by Internet chatter, I also believe there was a far lower " run " or amount of returning fish this season.
    Yes I know they are there and mostly moving at night but over all it does not seem like a river full of fish as some are used to.
    Are they late , still yet to come in big numbers or is it over ?
    For the most part from my worthless opinion, what you see is what you got. I'd have to say that the fish are there and there won't be any magical massive push of thousands of fish just waiting to run late .
    Maybe a big school of coho ( didn't see many being caught on lake ) might make an appearance but for the most part the last of the kings will just filter in as stragglers .

However I think the steelhead season should be a very good one and only hope the meat hunters got enough salmon to allow the trout fishers to have some uncrowned ( as possible ) to do their thing .
    Browns :
    Really feel its going to be another down year on the browns in the river. Only based on the fact that the lake guys hammered them hard due to the lack of salmon out there. LOTS of browns hit coolers on boats all summer.

Finally,
    I don't know why they stopped the fin clip on hatchery kings but read they are going to be implanting chips above their nostrils instead of the clip. Makes no sense to me to put a higher costing chip into thousands of fish but I guess it's a better method of collecting data .

Had a hell of a 30th party this weekend and got some hunting to attend to this upcoming then I'm ready to wipe the dust off the rods and sink some flies :)

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/13 10:39:50 (permalink)
    Tuna, I've seen a lot of browns and heard a lot about good numbers being caught since even early. So don't count them out just yet ;). Happy 30th to you and yours!!! And yes I agree with you that it is a low numbers year. Last years run was mostly big fish from my attempts and I had consistent attempts from august 8th til later September. If you want to throw the two year fish theory in to play I would venture to say that the most epic year/run ever in 2012 may have sucked up a lot of the 3 and 4 year fish for our current 2014. I have been pretty keen on salmon since 1991 and I think I can honestly say that so far this is probably the worst Iv e seen... Long time guides I've fished around and have known for years are saying the same. 99 was similar but there were a lot of coho that year... The movement of fish this past Thursday was a pretty good one that lasted through town in to Saturday. I believe its a fizzle from here on
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Mid to late week report 2014/10/13 10:47:10 (permalink)
    Hate to say it Andy but kinda agree- barring a late miracle run we got what it is.
    Heck its only 10 months till August and a new round of great expectations anyhow.
    Weekend reports after I left were poor- will be back for a few days of leaves and fishing anyhooo this week .
    Might hafta forego my conga revulsion and fish in the zones to get my fix. lol
     Would love to be in my favored  vines but the traffic was so heavy around  there lately that I didn't even bother to venture in- perhaps later this week if the mobs are down.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/10/13 10:51:01
    Jump to: