10/8/14 par for the course. 10/10/14

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3067
  • Reward points: 0
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 10:39:22 (permalink)
While drifting  sacs around  to  below spawning Kings for Steel,  King males are often in the mix. Have commonly seen male Kings 'nip and spit' so fast ya don't feel it even though ya saw it happen. Kinda think that's why so many sacs come up squished while blind fishing runs or deeper pockets even though ya felt nothing.
Commonly use #12 estaz  later in the season and have been told by a fella across the river, with the sun just right who could see into the pool, that I was getting Steel hits I never felt.
On the 90/10 I know where I am but kinda try like heck to  keep a line position  where a tap  can be felt..am slow to set a hook however waiting for a firm bite instead of a bumped fin so that may be a part of the problem.
 That seminar Clint went to showing steel hitting and spitting seems to mirror  my limited experience.
Also like a blue and pink #6 and #8 for steel before winter sets in- they seem to like the size and often hit it firmly.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/10/13 11:58:02
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 10:51:42 (permalink)
It was a year or 2 ago when a guy was fishing the north bank directly across from me in the lfz. I was standing on the preferred hot spot rock on south and he was putting on a clinic on the north while I was catching squat.
While it wasn't obvious , I Was wondering if he was just lining them due to their location . In advertenly I caught his line and pulled it to my side so I could get a look. He reluctantly let it over and once I grabbed the line knew what was up. His small rubber egg was lathered up with Anise
Obviously very effective but totally illegal in the zones as attractants are considered " bait "
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/10/13 11:11:40

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3067
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 11:18:15 (permalink)
Deleted
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/10/13 11:58:32
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 11:28:32 (permalink)
dimebrite2
Lucky, I'd say size 14 and 16 caddis more so than stones in the winter months under the rocks

I'm not saying they are not there, but the guy Clint was quoting was talking black stones.  On real low water, I've done great with olive and green caddis for years.  But are the little stones all that present all season long?

L13
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 11:31:52 (permalink)
There was a guy who used to stay at Sportsman's who was always on the left bank below 52, across from the unemployment line, and he caught his share of steel, almost always on a 6 or 8 Montana, a real quick fly to tie and very effective for those bigger dark stones in the river.  But I don't see enough little ones except late winter.

L13 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 12:09:37 (permalink)
True that -13. Feb, march there are tiny stones but the caddis scuds rule the river for the most part as far as food source after fall.
Big stones in size # 6 or 8 seem to kick azz on the browns in November though...
I do know for fact that a size #12 ( secret fly , aka jack ) will hammer the chrome all through out.
I got some tying to do soon :)

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 13:21:18 (permalink)
L the guys name was Joe Goodspeed or something like that. The short leader was for exactly why you mentioned getting down quick in an area  or pocket not that conducive to drifting.  As far as the small stuff he said most of his big fish came on smaller stuff.  He showed us other stuff he used too and it was the garden variety 6 to 12 stuff, streamers included.  By all means he did not exclusively fish small stuff.  Hatchery/LOTC  put it on, it was free and pretty good from my take.
I love fishing my little greed caddis all year.
post edited by Clint S - 2014/10/13 13:28:16

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 14:41:11 (permalink)
Now that the topic has come up i find it pretty funny to see the oh so many flies that are referred to as stone patterns throughout the fishery. Most are no where's near an actual stonefly replica. Seems to have become a loose term to say the least. But I will say black, green and brown nymphs or pupa style do very well in the upper end. I think my patterns that I tie up resemble more of a hares ear style nymph with a few different variations of either natural or synthetic targets/accents.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 16:41:07 (permalink)
This is not SR specific but does include size of nympths for Steelhead.Because of circumstances I will be fishing Steel in the Erie tribs from this point in time on.In the past I have caught many Steel out there on size 16 & 18 nympths.One very simple pattern is 2 - 3 strands of peacock wrapped on a long nympth hook with a slight taper from bend to eye.What does it imitate? Beats me but it works!This is what I use on low clear conditions and many times when the fish is visable you set the hook when the mouth opens,if you wait to detect the take it is too late as they spit it as fast as they take it.
I find peacock and peacock dubbing is a very good choice to use in many flys,I guess it looks buggy!
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 16:46:58 (permalink)
Peacock is absolutely that jack. A great eye catcher for trout.
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 17:38:51 (permalink)
Please go back and see that I said 90% of people fishing light line and small flies were lining intentionally.
Lighter line and small flies may well up the numbers of biters under conditions like today.
Fish that have been beaten on terribly for several days straight.
You may well get a few neutral fish to eat if you put them close enough with a drag free drift.

For me those are not the fish I am looking for.
I am fishing for the most aggressive fish not the timid ones.
It is my choice.
I would rather catch fewer fish but have no thought that I may have lined one.
Thick rope and big flies for me.
If I smell of skunk I enjoyed the fishing and not the catching.

Today I fished low in the morning and didn't see 1 fish hooked.
Went to lfz around 9:30 
The only fish I saw till I left around noon were foul hooked.
The top rod was on the north side of Church.
Walking up and down the shore spoting fish and hooking them.
Some up front some not so much.
Heard the question "what color"
and people happy to tell what their secret color was.
Of course if you looked carefully at the leaping salmon you could have figured it out by looking at the flie in the fishes back.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 17:55:14 (permalink)
2B,I can just picture what you said.Last year there was a "stealth" lifter hooking up across from me,when the fish swam close I would see the hook up and I would yell "right in the dorsal",then one would leap and I would yell "in the belly",didn't bother the "angler" 'cause all he wanted was a bend in the rod.
By the way,a King Salmon rarely leaps when hooked in the mouth.
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 18:28:48 (permalink)
Probably less than 1 in 25 Jack.

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 18:56:42 (permalink)
Well I guess I am not in that majority, because my 6# drennon is like 10# and 6 to 12 are my sizes. I will use some 14 and real 4# but usually in winter.  Lining one or a foul hook here or there is inevitable every now and then and it's gong to happen, but when it is the norm there is an issue.  Had a guy last year offer to change my rig and show me how last year. Told me not enough weight, tippet too short (his was 3.5 feet) and letting it drift too far down stream.

TB as far as aggressive fish, that was one of the speakers points, the larger fish are not necessarily the most aggressive. They go big and old, by being cautious on where they lie, what they eat and when they move.

post edited by Clint S - 2014/10/13 19:01:48

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/13 22:46:40 (permalink)
And those straight up and down pockets they are holding in, and you will usually be fishing during colder water times.

Why would you fish those spots in a river filled with swing opportunities like the SR, although this is exactly how you have to fish IC or many Finger Lakes Tribs.  But you will also foul hook a large percentage in those spots.

At least this time of year, you can find something the length of a VW bus  about 3 feet deep and a little faster than walking pace, and you can swing that water with next to no lead, and if there are chromers moving through, you should get a handshake that will about take your arm off! 

L13 
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 03:49:28 (permalink)
Clint S

TB as far as aggressive fish, that was one of the speakers points, the larger fish are not necessarily the most aggressive. They go big and old, by being cautious on where they lie, what they eat and when they move.

Clint in stream trout (especially browns) I believe that to be true.

BUT  in the case of steelfish and salmon not so much.
They get big in the lake for 1 of 2 reasons.
They are more aggressive and out compete the rest at the dinner table or they stay an extra year.

Being big doesn't mean you are smart.
I am the poster child for this truism.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 06:38:59 (permalink)
2b thanks for validating my observations of the fishing above rt. 52. From what I see its primarily foul hooks not lining. Do you recall less foul hooks occurring before the new regs were implemented?
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 06:56:29 (permalink)
I imagine he was referring to steel that had returned to the lake at least once, and of course, run the gauntlet.  The first winter trip to the SR I was introduced to small, all black, no sparkle, no flash, stones. The guide, who is very popular, said they were his number one producing fly, and others stood by them , also.  I also later got to watch the Yankee Angler at work, who is the absolute King of Chuck and Duck. He's capable of making steelhead look like bluegills in a fishbowl. Seen it and done it. I heard a number of talented lifters in the Church Pool talking about their fly- the "redhead" that's on his site. I quickly deduced this is why the argument on the Trinity in Calif. against tiny flies, where large stones abound in a 100 miles of freestone river bed is just as prevalent as here. There you can use a multiple fly rig which I would use in the winter here in a heartbeat. I fished Capnidae imitations in the dead of late winter for years, in east and west coast rivers  but never caught a large trout on them. Most stoneflies are in 2 year cycles, but the first instars (shedding of the exoskeleton to grow larger or change phases of life) , leave them unavailable to trout. The developing stages of stones don't leave them out cavorting in the current.  One Feb. day on the SR after a morning of cold and Lake effect, the sun popped out and the temp rose close to 40 degrees. There was good amounts of
the winter stones crawling out, but I chose to swing flies under the 52 bridge with great results. I did the same when I saw them on smaller trout streams. They were a marker for activity, not the real hatch themselves. I do know for a fact that guides and people that have spent a lot of time observing steelhead know all about aversion therapy. A small black speck , traveling at the same pace as the current does not trigger a steelhead to move away in a defensive response. If you're going to run light tippet across a fishes mouth or try to place a hook in its body, small so called stones, fit the bill. Not so easily accomplished with other  stones and larger patterns with flash like peacock (my favorite since I was a kid) .  Or a chartreuse caddis pupae, for that matter.  Will steel eat small insects? Yes. but more likely  large  midge pupae  than the  small winter stones crawling along the bottom to exit on the snowbanks. 
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 07:52:28 (permalink)
No dime.
Sad to say that after the first season the lfz opened it has been the same.
I will say that the stealth attempt has risen.
Early on it was locals thumbing their noses at the regs and being dinks because they thought of the fly guys as snobs.

I dislike the new breed much more.
They for the most part seem to care about image more than ethics.

The T U clubs running group trips (haven't seen it in  a while or they have stopped wearing their hats)
that used to come play foul fish out all day pull out the hook and then take pictures pist me off more than anything.
If you can't proudly take the pic as is don't take the pic at all ash hole.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 08:44:22 (permalink)
I am going to say more foul hooks were evident prior to the reg changes in the zones.
I started fishing the UFZ the day after it first opened publicly.
Remember , back then as long as it was a fly rod and reel, anything else flew. No weight restrictions, leader lengths to weight and if the line was coated it was ok. Running line, 6' tippets to weight and slinkies were the norm.
Some guides mentioned were the kings of the zones for quite awhile passing these methods along to their clients. We used to nick name them.

As to now, its kinda as 2 b says , a different breed and many of them use very long rods , aka red light district , that " sweep " the entire run or pool. The majority of them I would see " sweeping " would hook them on the far side of a fishes body.
The other group who would foul usually had excessive weight well over the 1/8 oz and go to the max and beyond the 4' tippet length , aka dummy ticket.
So I certainly believe the new , current regs have helped and would be effective if people followed them.
You gotta realize, it's a super high concentration area for fish all winter as is say the schoolhouse and believe me, many fish are lined there as well . Try putting a weight restriction there and I'd bet the ratio decrease a bit as well.

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 10:51:44 (permalink)
If ,and that is a big IF,the DEC would get serious about enforcing the rules the SR would be what some now call "world class",as it is now it is a sick joke.While I was there twice I saw 20 -25 DEC vehicles parked across from the hatchery,I have no idea what they were doing there all day but they sure were not enforcing any laws there!The only DEC I saw was the driftboat on the LFZ that day that Clint mentioned.Anyone see any downriver actually doing anything positive?

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 12:04:56 (permalink)
Jack, my guess is that all those vehicles and officers were doing in service training.  Silly season is the perfect opportunity to do training because you have officers centrally located.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 12:23:32 (permalink)
I think there were seminars going on jack. When I was up with the boat there were tons of dec at the old portly angler. I think that's where the training and " welcome to the salmon river " happens late aug .They have their cards for expenses ( I believe ) and were packing in the feed bags towards evening, as were we.
We sing the same ole ' songs every season, better enforcement . Honestly I wish enforcement wasn't what was needed. That river has plenty of good stewards of which i have fished with. It needs good teachers, more fishers and less hookers.
It has come a VERY long way in some aspects , went backwards in others but much more could be done in improvement from " anglers" and use that term loosely .
Chuck bait, swing flies or pull hardware, it's all fishing to me and fishing is how it should be .

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 13:15:34 (permalink)
Too many people for sure. But I agree with the backwards part more so... I recall fishing slinkies on running line in the mid -late 90's as opposed to weight forwards with split shot when it first opened up in 91... We usually used enough weight to get a full drift in whatever areas we targeted. Fish were mostly fair hooked and not 100% lined...From what Ive seen of the lfz lately I'd say its worse now.i dont even see people successfully lining fish...As two Bob confirmed nothing but foul hooks which is most of what I see. And most of all, people who know nothing of fly fishing for the most part.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 13:25:37 (permalink)
Sorry brother but I still disagree as far as trout.
Slinkies and long line dredgers produced far more pec fin and belly hooks way back then .
Just enough weight meant , ticking bottom until the line stopped then set the hook.

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 13:33:30 (permalink)
I always try to find how much weight it takes to find bottom and then take some off.
The next thing I want to feel is the take.
Doesn't always work out that way but that is the goal.

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 13:34:35 (permalink)
Andy this year was the worst of it on the LFZ,what happened I believe was the word got out that there were fish there as opposed to the long stretch downriver and then everyone with a flyrod migrated to the LFZ.The crowds were much larger than the past years,hope it's different in the future as this year was not too much fun for sure.
As far as seminars for the DEC during silly season why not have them earlier and get on the stream in force and clean it up!
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 13:44:32 (permalink)
I would say the problem in the zone now is that many people go there because that is where the fish are (that is what they are told).
They don't fish fly tackle at home.
A)They have been told or read that you have to get on the bottom to catch these fish so they put on too much weight.
This makes them 
1) hang bottom, getting in the way of people that do know how to fly fish
2)They have been told how light these fish bite and you must set on anything.
3)A+1+2 =dragging bottom and therefore setting the hook all the time
4) then there are the long time well practiced lifters and liners there to get an ego boost from the 1 2 3 guys that don't get that they are POS aszholes cheating good people out of the chance to catch these fish fairly

This weekend it was worse because the fish were so hammered by the crowd every second of the day light hours.
Even the most aggressive were just trying to find a place to hide lessening the fairly hooked fish number.

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 14:36:38 (permalink)
lol...i took my dog for a walk (a jack russell all of 12 lbs) over on the south sandy...didn't even have the rod along
we were walking in a very shallow section, maybe 3-4 inches of water.  came upon a small hole (size of a dining room table) the dog jumped in and a big male king, that was hiding under an under cut rock, flew out of the tiny pool
that's how hard they were hiding this week end :)

wishin i was fishin
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: 10/8/14 par for the course 2014/10/14 15:43:19 (permalink)
Two bob, would you even call it lining? I'm not seeing any mouth hooks. And I'm also referring to times I've fished it for steelhead within the past 3 years. Its been over two years since I've fished there. Last time may have been with clint some 2.5 years ago. But I've done a lot of observing. Maybe I had my science down perfect or maybe I had a lot of biting fish in the old time C and D days as my hook was and usually is now in the mouth.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: