Welcome back fellow fish slayers

Author
cpswing
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 150
  • Reward points: 0
2014/08/15 00:19:40 (permalink)

Welcome back fellow fish slayers

Hey guys I am back and I have a secret. I had a call from a guide up there that there are some fish in the Estuary. If anyone is there check it out. He called my cousin and I and is very reliable.

Keep Swingin

25 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 05:25:45 (permalink)
    Swing I checked it yesterday and didn't see anything but seeing is not always believing with salmon.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 08:07:09 (permalink)
    You know the DSR WOULD be reporting if they saw one fish. They did report that the hatchery reported "a few kings slipped past us last water release" which was two weeks ago. Does that mean the hatchery had kings up there???????? Maybe, but I am more apt to believe that like most of us know a few stragglers may have gone up through, but they will say anything to put "butts in the seats"

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 08:14:09 (permalink)
    Being my bro-in law stayed out there with his boat, he took a ride up the estuary to park and probably dunk some worms at the trailer hole..
    He texed me last night and said "no fish" .. Granted his texting is simple but I took it as no fish around or at least seen by him..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 08:14:28 (permalink)
    Clint there's been a little too much water to See fish in dsr. A friend of mine was fishing the ball park for atlantics a little over a week ago and saw a few kings go by him. As usual there have been some fish but with the water being up no one knows exactly how many. Usually with a 185 flow dsr shows fish when they move through the flat water between clay hole and joss hole. Anything above 285 will usually hide them though. By no means am I saying there are large numbers of fish... Im Just stressing that "seeing" fish is not always proof that there are fish in the river. A friend of mine did see a salmon in the hatchery this past Saturday...

I'm pretty sure I'll be wetting a line tomorrow morning ;)
    post edited by dimebrite2 - 2014/08/15 08:15:56
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 08:23:05 (permalink)
    this is what she looked like yesterday morning when we pulled the plug, it was MUCH worse weds evening with 10 footers.
    3 days of heavy west killed us boaters but I'm sure it brought the fishes much closer.. It won't be long..

ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 08:27:53 (permalink)
    HEADING UP FRI  JUST TO CHECK IN WITH SOME OF THE LOCAL PEOPLE  GOING TO TRY TO MAKE SOME ROOM ARRANGEMENTS  DIDNT KNOW WHAT THIS YEAR WAS GOING TO BRING IS IF NO PLACE TO STAY GUESS A LOT OF DAY TRIPS
    SEMPER FI
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 08:52:03 (permalink)
    Tuna it really is a classic set up for fish to run... 2 days of east wind and then the heavy west winds... And on top of it cold rain and elevated flows... The end of my line will be my deciding factor at this point though :)
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 09:00:01 (permalink)
    Let us know how it goes Dime :)

wishin i was fishin
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 09:13:40 (permalink)
    Yea that's what I meant Dime we all know some fish came through, they always do. Of course the DSR reports every little thing to get more paying folks up there today. Don't get me wrong if I had a pass and I could , I would probably be up there today too.  I put my name on the list last year or the year before I think. I get their e mails now. Do not know if I will ante up or not it will be a tough decision.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 09:39:25 (permalink)
    I have noticed the dsr start to tone their reports down in the past two years. They stopped basing reports on here say from anglers. Theyve corrected false reports on occasion...they haven't posted one thing about Atlantic's or summer browns and their reports from days I've witnessed are usually accurate. Social media in general really glorifies reports these days as a whole. Pics, poetic descriptions... Its a whole different ball game... Folks have to realize there's a lot of water out there and thousands of people basing their potential for success on a single report is NOT a guarantee for success...

Clint if you ever want to consider paying to go down I will text or call and say come on down... As long as I don't get priced out... At this point the 500 bucks is still worth it to me for the season. Guys I work with spend that on buying smokes in a months time...
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 09:59:55 (permalink)
    Absolutely they have toned down their reports.  I really think they are not  really worried about getting people there. Now with the brown stockings and being open all summer I would consider it if offered. With my release date looking more and more like October I am out for this year. I had considered it a few times last year, but there always something else to spend the money on.  I hardly ever go out to eat or indulge myself so I try to buy or purchase things that make me happy or provide memories I can look back on and enjoy. My one nephew would age out of free fishing there , but I have two others that I could take

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 10:22:15 (permalink)
    Clint I would be more than happy to show your nephew the ropes and help you out with him if you ever wanted to take him down. Kids free until 16 I believe???
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 10:59:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the offer Andy.  I sent an e mail to dsr to see if I can go down and watch and not fish.  I doubt he would go without me. Football has started so his time will be getting tight, but I will talk to him about it.

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 11:03:40 (permalink)
    Absolutely you can go down if not fishing .. At least the last I knew...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 12:06:55 (permalink)
    As I have said a hundred times over, DSR is the best salmon water on the entire river (IMO ). When I would spend 30 straight days from sept- oct the pass was well worth it. Honestly I didn't like the area so much for steelhead though. Once the gales of November rolled in it was brutally tough fishing with little shelter. The steelhead seemed to move through there very quickly as well.
    If I did salmon fishing like I used to then maybe I would have kept my pass. Having a guides pass however priced me out , $50.00 for a day is still iffy but slightly doable .
    Heck DB, as you know , we spend that much on 2 days worth of Busch ,, lol

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 12:29:30 (permalink)
    Hahh!! I was counting bud... That's more like one day based on us two and your first mate... Good times for sure bud!!!
    JustMatt
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 14:51:46 (permalink)
    I'll take the blame Andy.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 15:19:53 (permalink)
    JustMatt
    I'll take the blame Andy.

Lol!!!! Captain!!!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 18:09:21 (permalink)
    Well I hope you two are sober enough to share a drift come end of Sept. and beginning of Oct.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 18:34:33 (permalink)
    Holy daisy Mae batman , first mate , chief engineer and acting captain joined the circus. Didn't you know this is a fly fishing , river walking site ? Lmao !!
    Matty, no finger pointing.. We are all to blame and we know DB can hang with the boys just fine :)
    We will be back soon to give it another shot ..

Jack, Andrew was trying like heck to get him to walk the water, not so sure it's his bag as he is more a mechanical engineer that likes the smell of diesel and gasoline better .
    You can count on me though you river master to be ready with the net

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 20:30:59 (permalink)
    Was up from Tues till today- bugged a day early.
    Wind Rain and very unseasonable temps- felt like a unsettled early April.
    Went from 81 to the very top of the needle on Wed. Nice area for slipping flies into  pockets before the snag fest.
     Water was  higher than normal for August and a bit murky but when the occasional sun shone ya could see pretty much around ya-  Too many casts, no hits nothing seen..
     Nobody else around for a few hours- GREAT- when leaving  a guy showed up who said has been there every day since Sat and seen but one fish.
    Estuary was very muddy and choppy -went a few times looking- nothing seen.
    Noticed the Daisy Mae just sitting there on Wed with nothing  around but empty looking tents-lol- Selkirk had biguns rolling in.
    Hope ya have better weather next time Tuna= looks like we both picked the wrong week.
     Agree with  you guys PERFECT conditions to getem up and runnin.

post edited by r3g3 - 2014/08/16 07:57:48
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 21:55:06 (permalink)
    Well the DSR just increased their prices dramatically for next year $750 for the old yearly pass of 9 months and $900 for a year pass. Peak season Friday through Sunday day passes are now at $75

cpswing
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/15 22:22:38 (permalink)
    hey guys, wasn't trying to raise any hairs or fingers. That's just what the guy said. we are going up some time this next week to hit em in the lake. he said they were getting shallower and some were in the estuary. didn't say it was packed. And the weather is looking kinda fishy. Just letting ya know what I heard. Glad to see you all back on here. I joined a group on Facebook. I will not ever post anything on there. some real pricks on that page. wow.

Tight Lines and stringers of Busch.
    CP
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/16 07:38:00 (permalink)
    No worries cpswing. It is looking fishy but I have been out on the lake last week and 2 weeks prior Deep was the game, even though we caught squat. Until now its been south or east winds . Monday it went straight to the wicked witch from the WEST . That rolls the lake and pushes the cold water in shore, plus kept us on shore:( .
    So yea, weather has changed, daylight is decreasing, water temps are lowering , it looking fishy !!!!

It just raised a few eyebrows when you said secret info from a trusted guide that there is fish in the river, estuary because
    1. Some folks on here live there
    2, some folks just left there
    3. We are pretty acute to the early salmon fever

Again, no worries, have a blast and maybe get a bend or 2 in the rod.
    Peace & Tuna

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Welcome back fellow fish slayers 2014/08/16 08:40:40 (permalink)
    Yea man everyone gets jumpy this time of year. Even though I can't fish I will probably drive up next wee to check stuff out.

Jump to: