Author
trout man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2014/05/26 17:38:46 (permalink)

porting

Hello all
A few years ago I switched to 3 in mags for my Mossberg 500 slug gun. Big mistake. I didn't set the gun properly on my shoulder and the recoil badly bruised my shoulder. The gun wasn't sighted in, and I tried to gut it out, and continued to shoot. Mistake number two. I'm looking to get back to hunting after a few years hiatus, and needless to say I'm a bit gun shy.  Now for the important question. Does porting a barrel reduce recoil? And if so by how much? I will be switching back to the light weight 2 3/4 inch slugs. Also, will a syms recoil pad offer any additional protection?
Thanks for all your help
Tight lines, I mean groups.
Trout Man

3 Replies Related Threads

SaltWaterRocks
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: porting 2014/05/26 20:12:13 (permalink)
    Yes, porting a gun reduces recoil significantly.  It also reduces velocity.  If you decide to go that direction, NEVER shoot it without hearing protection; even while hunting.  Ported guns make a whole lot of noise!  Being a chemist, I can tell you about a substance called sorbothane.  There are recoil pads made of sorbothane which, according to tests show huge reductions in recoil.  Kick-Eez is one company that makes these recoil pads.  There are also many inertial recoil reducers.  I included a link to a pretty good article about recoil reduction.  Like it says, you get what you pay for so go for quality.  Good Luck!

http://www.gunworld.com/b...educe-12-gauge-recoil/
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re: porting 2014/05/26 21:20:45 (permalink)
    As mentioned, porting reduces recoil, but increases noise. Both of the guns my 14 yr old shoots are ported and we have no issues with fatique or flinching.

If recoil is the issue, why not go back to 2 3/4" shells? Seems like a less expensive option.

An autoloading shotgun may also reduce some recoil
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: porting 2014/05/27 17:16:16 (permalink)
    An auto loader will GREATLY reduce recoil. Trap and skeet shooters often by special stocks with shocks inside to reduce recoil. You may want to look into that before you permanently modify your gun.

Jump to: