Hitting the Big D

Author
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
  • Reward points: 0
2014/05/06 18:59:14 (permalink)

Hitting the Big D

Hitting the Big D this Friday with some childhood friends.  Don't, as of yet, know what section of river we will be floating but hoping that the Hendrickson and Apple Caddis hatches are still going strong.  I enjoy fishing the Upper Delaware system particularly the West Branch.  There are some beautiful native browns cruising those waters.  Farther down river on the main stem there are some areas that harbor Rainbows.  Either way I hope it's a good trip with plenty of action.

11 Replies Related Threads

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/06 20:48:41 (permalink)
    Have fun take pics.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/06 21:04:05 (permalink)
    I've been trying for years to get some of these guys to make the trip for droppies or Spring browns but no luck.  They have no idea what they are missing.
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/10 06:40:06 (permalink)
    fished a bit yesterday, hendricksons coming off pretty good, water was stained a bit so not many taking, used some garden hackle.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/10 12:55:36 (permalink)
    I used to love slapping big white streamers to the banks of the upper D.
    Some bigast trouts in there.
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/10 15:27:27 (permalink)
    when we stayed at the drc I would fish at night swinging anything big and hairy, there are some huge trout in the deleware.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/10 16:04:17 (permalink)
    During the daylight my major problem (well fish problem)
    was watching them rush the fly and pulling it away.
    Mr Moosie on the sticks would growl like an old school Fla tarpon guide since my whole purpose was to get fish for pics to show prospective clients.
    Second half of the day was the big D fishing nymphs or dries depending.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/10 17:54:28 (permalink)
    Back from the Big D.  The story of my life lately is "you should have been here yesterday."  Blizzard hatch of Apple Caddis on Thursday with numerous targets of opportunity gave way to a very sparse hatch of caddis and a few Hendrickson's and Hendrickson spinners.  Put in on the PA side about 11 AM from well above Equinunk, Pa and fished all the way down to Buckingham, NY. Approximately an eleven mile drift.  Pulled out at approximately 7:40 PM. 

A lot of the pools that were boiling with activity the day before were like the Dead Sea.  Some opportunities to active fish but few and far between.  I did manage one hefty Brown that measured 20" with shoulders, probably went between three and four pounds.  Nailed him on a rusty spinner adjacent to a seem near a flat rock after giving my buddy, who was in the bow, first crack.  It took fifteen to twenty minutes before I got him to net with 5X tippet in heavy water (CFS 2200).  A half dozen attempts to net him failed as the fight continued each time he saw the net and boat. 

I do have a few pictures but they aren't the greatest.  Will see if I can post something later tonight.

The fish were most active between 2-4:30 PM.  We only saw one fish rise after that and nothing during the last 4-5 miles of the drift.  Tough day on the water with a lot of drift boat activity and a few pontoon craft as well.  We were constantly racing ahead to stay in front of the other boats so we may have passed on more productive water. 

Nice day other wise, perhaps a little too windy at times but at least I brought one to the net.
    Can't say if my buddy up front chucking metal hurt the cause .  He did manage a small brown, a huge chub, a beautiful brookie, a smallmouth and a small rainbow on metal spinners.  He also hooked and lost a small 'bow on a caddis during the few times he cast to a working fish with the fly rod.   

post edited by troutbum21 - 2014/05/10 22:51:38

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/11 01:53:29 (permalink)
    The wind here was brutal.Anything like that there and its a miracle you could drop a fly anyplace close to where you wanted it.
    Nice fish.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/11 07:36:56 (permalink)
    Yea what TB said, brutal.  Nice fish and probably good company, not a bad day then.  I spent my day cleaning the garage and  cleaning the carb and putting points and condensor on our old Farm tractor.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/11 10:56:16 (permalink)
    Yep, the wind was tough at times especially in unprotected areas of the valley.  That coupled with the fact that the blizzard like caddis hatch from the previous day may have satisfied the bellies of a lot of fish. 

I would have liked to get out of the boat to work a nymph rig in some of the tailouts and riffles but for some reason our guide never made the attempt. 

On another note, I had a nice glob of didymo (rock snot) on my leader after fighting and landing that fish.  He tried his best to bulldog his nose into the river bottom in an attempt to extricate himself.  I plan on cleaning my gear thoroughly before fishing any other waters. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Hitting the Big D 2014/05/13 21:50:54 (permalink)
    My apologies TB.. Didn't see pics till today.. Very Impressive trouts !!! Congrats on the hook and hackle !!
    I know little about the Big D except location and pressure . Id be the lazy guy chuckin' phat rapala's.Works well on the Awesome able..
    So little time here and so many fish swimming by me now..
    Moved some dirt today with thoughts of a garden..
    Throw down at homestead for a last blast at the Mighty Hudson this weekend..  Moving west soon..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Jump to: