Invasive Species, now is the time they are visible

Author
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
  • Reward points: 0
2014/04/27 09:49:37 (permalink)

Invasive Species, now is the time they are visible

Invasive  Species , Now is the time they are visible.,  Look around as you drive and you will notice shrubs 3'-10' tall that are greening up. Those shrubs are nearly all invasive being Autumn Olive, Multifloral  Rose, or One of the brought in Honeysuckles. Most of what you see will be Honeysuckle. At least in the Venango-Clarion region they are coming into their full greenery well ahead of native species. I have watched and examined honeysuckle for years and at least in my area I find no indication that deer browse on it. That is what scares me the most about these species. I also read recently an interesting theory that implies there is a correlation between ticks-lime disease and honeysuckle. Another implication was that bird some bird species were perhaps suffering because the berries have very low nutritional value. 
   If you have land that is being overrun good luck trying to eradicate. If you have very little kill it all before it gets going, and keep a up with eradicating it.
   I believe in the future it will be a major major  major  detrimental factor in the wildlife habitat, and in the flora-forestry habitat.

6 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: Invasive Species, now is the time they are visible 2014/04/27 11:36:56 (permalink)
    I agree with most of what you said. The exception being Japanese Honeysuckle which is a great browse for deer especially where there are good numbers of deer that might otherwise impact the landscape. I was considering planting it on my property a few years ago until deciding the problems with it once it takes over will outweigh the good.

As far as the rest goes, June is when I start my annual eradication program. Interesting thing is all the species you mentioned were both promoted and planted by the PGC, DCNR, and forestry Dept until the last 20 or so years ago. So much for trusting the Experts.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Invasive Species, now is the time they are visible 2014/04/27 21:34:00 (permalink)
    S-10, I do not know all the species of honeysuckle that have been brought in, so perhaps the Japanese would make browse.  However in the ones that I  have been dealing with I have found zero browsing in 12+ years. I examine and watch deer trails very carefully.
             There was one forester with the Game commission that was very vocally fighting against the Commission distributing all the non native flora. I was told by a PGC employee that he was over road in Harrisburg. One of many major blunders that you will not hear those entities bring up.   
    post edited by treesparrow - 2014/04/27 21:35:02
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re: Invasive Species, now is the time they are visible 2014/04/27 22:26:49 (permalink)
    Tartarian and Morrow's Honeysuckle are common in my neck of the woods. I have no use for either.

PT2
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: Invasive Species, now is the time they are visible 2014/04/30 15:39:11 (permalink)
    Honeysuckle is horrid around here. First to green up and last to drop their leaves.

My rifle is a black rifle
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re: Invasive Species, now is the time they are visible 2014/05/02 14:16:29 (permalink)
    One good note, looks like the cold did a decent number on a couple of the bamboo patches I drive by every day.  They are brown and have been for awhile.  They usually stayed green most of the winter.  I am sure it didn't kill the roots though and new shoots will be up sooner or later.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3067
    Re: Invasive Species, now is the time they are visible 2014/05/03 07:02:54 (permalink)
    Bamboo is now under the control of the town where I live here in Ct as a dangerous invasive-they are now just being monitored closely- that could change.
     Some varieties have root systems that can grow as much as 20 feet A YEAR under the ground surface .
    They have been known to pass under paved roads and pop up on the other side- not to mention trying to take over neighbors yards.
    Even when eradicated the root systems can produce new patches some distance away from the initial patch.
    Jump to: