The winds have shifted(BOC)

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 08:31:56 (permalink)
I don't mind mentored hunting with kids, I just hate it when we have to stop and change their diapers when we have a turkey coming in.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 08:58:54 (permalink)
With seniors not having to abide by them after hunting their whole lives

I doubt there are too many seniors out there that had to abide by AR their whole life .. most of us grew up hunting bucks with the same regs as juniors have now...

It's not really a matter of agreeing with any group or supporting them.. I think it should be used as a tool to keep the number of "scrub" bucks down in the poorer "GENE POOL" areas..

Didn't the PGC learn that a certain number of those "scrubs" had to be killed each year.. I doubt the juniors or mentored are killing enough of them now, especially considering the photos in the papers and internet...

Is anyone shooting the spikes and 4 points any more ????

A couple posted areas around here would LOVE to allow a senior to come on there and shoot a "scrub"... they sure can not do anything to get rid of some of them .. LOL
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2014/04/10 09:03:43
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 09:10:54 (permalink)
I just got an E-mail from the PGC correcting their press release from the other day about the adult mentored permit..

There is no price difference.. it cost $20.70... same as regular license...

REALLY .....

this BOC is silly as a goose.....

let's try paying $2.70 for a fishing permit that is not needed and is FREE ......  let's see how that goes ...  Brockway True Value... has sold a grand total of ZERO !!!!!!!
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 09:11:58 (permalink)
Here is a novel idea to get rid of those scrubs -- do away with the AR program and let those that want to kill them kill them and those that want to trophy hunt trophy hunt.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 09:20:44 (permalink)
Dr. Trout I doubt there are too many seniors out there that had to abide by AR their whole life .. most of us grew up hunting bucks with the same regs as juniors have now...

What I meant was older hunters have been able to shoot any buck most of their hunting lives. They have had plenty of time to shoot 3 points. If we are committed to ARs, kids and active military should be the only ones exempt.

It's not really a matter of agreeing with any group or supporting them.. I think it should be used as a tool to keep the number of "scrub" bucks down in the poorer "GENE POOL" areas.

High fenced ranches can't eliminate undesirable genes from their pool. It is about impossible to high grade within a free ranging herd the size of PA.

My rifle is a black rifle
S-10
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 12:32:28 (permalink)
Doc; you really should go back a few years and reread your posts from the early days.  Poorer gene pool, scrubs, shoot the small ones, you have really done a 180 since RSB and the like have left. LOL

DPMS__If we are committed to AR's NOBODY should be exempt. There are other proven successful ways if you want to help the youngsters or servicemen.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 13:13:37 (permalink)
S-10
 DPMS__If we are committed to AR's NOBODY should be exempt. There are other proven successful ways if you want to help the youngsters or servicemen.

True. With that said, the few shot by youngsters and active duty will most likely not compromise the goals of the program. The more it is watered down, the more the goals are compromised. Of that occurs, might as well eliminate AR.

wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 14:30:12 (permalink)
The more it is watered down, the more the goals are compromised. Of that occurs, might as well eliminate AR.

You are currently a supporter of ar correct?

If so, is it only because you believe currently some science based "goals" are being met, or do you also support it because you believe it improves the satisfaction of yourself, and/or others?

In your opinion, should we hunters even have a say in the matter one way or the other in your opinion if it is not a biological issue either way?

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 15:11:26 (permalink)
wayne c
 You are currently a supporter of ar correct? If so, is it only because you believe currently some science based "goals" are being met, or do you also support it because you believe it improves the satisfaction of yourself, and/or others? In your opinion, should we hunters even have a say in the matter one way or the other in your opinion if it is not a biological issue either way?  

I am a supporter. To answer your question, I currently support it for various reasons from both the science and hunter support arenas.

If ARs are not meeting goals, we are left with supporting it from purely a social perspective which is not a angle I feel should carry the most weight. Science is much easier to defend against attacks from those that wish to harm our sport.

S-10
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 15:15:33 (permalink)
Not sure where you get (the few shot by youngsters) My grandson is 6 for 7 and my neighbors kid is 3 for 4 on bucks, only one was AR legal. The one he got last year was a 17" 3yo 6 point w/brows. This year he will have to pass them up. I have a granddaughter that went 3 for 4 before she turned 18. One was AR legal. My other granddaughter is 1 for 1. The kids around here with parents that know what they are doing hammer the 1-1/2 yo bucks. Just hope they stay interested when they hunt all season and maybe get a shot at a legal one. Want more hunters and the revenue they bring, let the deer herd recover.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3067
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 15:18:47 (permalink)
All for the active Military folks having a  shot at whatever in any State.
They tried it with free golf on the local course and far too many were folks in various reserve and guard units who were not presently on active duty taking advantage.
With the Military regularly calling up those units and many of those having served or looking at active its a real boondoggle trying to make it right--personally still don't have the correct answer.
Folks were coming in with an ID - some were home on leave but most were weekenders. ID is the same for all.
 Got noticed when someone complained a guy he worked with golfed free. When looking into it the violators of the spirit of the rule far outnumbered to actual active folks. 

wayne c
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 17:14:48 (permalink)

Ok thanks. 

post edited by wayne c - 2014/04/10 19:10:01

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 17:51:45 (permalink)
Read closer. I answered it directly. I support Ar. I support it from both the science and social perspective but if the science isn't there, I would not support it from purely a social perspective. 

wayne c
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 18:06:33 (permalink)
dangit!  I left the post as is, and the second I decide to edit you are making the reply!!

That's ok, your reply is still just as valid to existing text.   I now understand that you  personally wouldn't support ar if it weren't deemed necessary by pgc.  I THINK I have that right.

You still didn't answer this from my previous post.

"In your opinion, should we hunters even have a say in the matter one way or the other in your opinion if it is not a biological issue either way?"

Yes or no, tempered with an explanation also if you would prefer would be fine if you don't mind?

S-10
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 18:47:39 (permalink)
DPMS--what is the present scientific reason for AR. As I recall the original reason was proven wrong.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 19:05:35 (permalink)
wayne c 
"In your opinion, should we hunters even have a say in the matter one way or the other in your opinion if it is not a biological issue either way?"

Yes or no, tempered with an explanation also if you would prefer would be fine if you don't mind?

I answered that one as well. If the goals of ARs are watered down enough that it compromises the premise behind it,  we are down to a purely social issue. In that case, social weights should not trump science. 

Hunters always have a say and that say should be weighed against other factors. But the "say" of hunters should not carry more weight than science. 

When you say I wouldn't support it if it were not "deemed necessary" is not a accurate assessment of my position.  I am not sure anything about AR is "necessary" but there are benefits to it from a science standpoint. If that makes sense? 
post edited by dpms - 2014/04/10 19:10:08

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 19:07:36 (permalink)
S-10
DPMS--what is the present scientific reason for AR. As I recall the original reason was proven wrong.

The primary goal of APRs was to increase the
number of adult bucks (2.5 years of age or older)
in the population. By doing so, benefits of a more natural breeding ecology, an older buck age structure, and
greater hunter satisfaction might be realized. To achieve this goal, APRs needed to protect most yearling bucks
(1.5 years of age) from harvest. This required two different APRs: a 4-points-to-an-antler restriction in western
Pennsylvania and a 3-points-to-an-antler over the rest of the state (excluding junior hunters).

wayne c
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 19:09:15 (permalink)
Ok thanks.   

post edited by wayne c - 2014/04/10 19:10:39

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 19:12:12 (permalink)
wayne c
Ok thanks.   

We are editing over each others posts. I added this to the above in case you missed it;

When you say I wouldn't support it if it were not "deemed necessary" is not a accurate assessment of my position.  I am not sure anything about AR is "necessary" but there are benefits to it from a science standpoint. If that makes sense? 

S-10
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 21:01:37 (permalink)
To meet management objectives, the Game Commission employed a new strategy by providing new opportunities for hunters to harvest older antlered males while seeing fewer deer. It was hoped this new approach 52
would improve hunter tolerance for reduced deer populations and permit the Game Commission to meet its deer management objectives.

DPMS---That is straight from the current draft deer management report. AR's were simply a way to take our mind off the herd reduction they were doing. They have already proved there is no scientific benefit from allowing bucks to reach a older age.
All adult bucks breed and normally they breed only one or two doe each season. Also, if a buck has good genetics he has them as a 1-1/2 yo and they don't get any better as he ages.

AR was simply a method to divide us as hunters and it has worked.
wayne c
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/10 21:51:24 (permalink)
To-May-toe, To-MUH-toe,   that's fine dpms.   Although I don't fault you for pointing that out about "needed" to avoid confusion,  you understood despite the imperfect term used, especially since when I asked the question I stated it differently.   The main thing is, I think we both understand each other.  

No problem.   Even though we agree on supporting ar, we disagree completely on why.

According to our conversation what can be derived of the differences in our stances it look like you support it despite it lessening your-and/or others you know- satisfaction (hence your not supporting it if science was a nonissue), yet you do support ar because you believe there are science based advantages to it being in place.

Fair enough?

Which is basically the exact opposite of why I support it.

In my case, I support it because I feel it increases my satisfaction, as well as  some level of majority, or so it would seem according to pretty much all polls Ive ever seen, and just general discussion etc.   I however feel there are few to no scientific benefits with its implementation in Pa, as pgcs own data has shown no improvements to timing of breeding, percentages of adult does bred or anything else they originally thought might be an issue.   The numbers were basically completely flat ever since the beginning of ar, and is evidence there wasn't really anything wrong with these things to begin with.  Having said that, I don't feel, obviously, that it causes any biological "harm".  

Ar was the carrot, I feel that was pretty obvious.   Some don't like it because of the perceived deceit factor.   I don't like that facet of it,  but I don't mind all that much actually taking the carrot.   I like carrots, and I had no choice in the beginning but to take the carrot.   Now, I somewhat like the carrot.  But carrot or no carrot, we need to now scrape the rest of the plate into the dog dish.   I think one leaf of spinach was scraped from the plate.   Now on to the big pile of ....haggis in 2015.

post edited by wayne c - 2014/04/10 21:53:54

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/11 07:33:03 (permalink)
S-10
 DPMS---That is straight from the current draft deer management report. AR's were simply a way to take our mind off the herd reduction they were doing. They have already proved there is no scientific benefit from allowing bucks to reach a older age.All adult bucks breed and normally they breed only one or two doe each season. Also, if a buck has good genetics he has them as a 1-1/2 yo and they don't get any better as he ages. AR was simply a method to divide us as hunters and it has worked.

The goal of protecting a significant number of 1.5 y/o bucks is the primary goal I am referring to. I believe the benefits to a diverse age structure in wild populations, as nature Intended, is best for a species, as do many biologists. If ar's are watered down to a point where we are not able to protect a majority of our young deer, then we might as well allow hunters to shoot what they wish.

S-10
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/11 08:24:08 (permalink)
But what is the proven, documented, Scientific benefit to protecting those 1-1/2 yo bucks. We know the social benefit as I too like seeing more 2-1/2 yo as a percentage of the population, but as Wayne gave examples of, all the claimed scientific benefits have been proven to be hogwash.

As far as watering down the protections, allowing juniors and servicemen to shoot smaller bucks and removing brows, taken together  is proof there is no scientific benefit and they knew it from the beginning. AR was and still is a social decision to take our mind off the fact they were reducing all deer numbers. In fact, of all the reasons "given" for reducing the deer herd all, or nearly all, have been proven or admitted to being wrong.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/11 09:07:08 (permalink)
I think the theory of natural selection is pretty widely accepted by tue scientific community as to why it benefits a species. A natural age structure, or one closer to what it should be, aids in strengthening a species. Pretty widely accepted stuff.

12 year old kids can breed. If we killed most of our population at 14, would the human species be better off?

S-10
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/11 11:48:24 (permalink)
Some might argue in the affirmative. LOL.   Regardless, we never killed all the older bucks and many states do quite well with no antler restrictions. Ohio is one good example. Also, approx 80% of all small birds, rabbits and most other small game are killed or die in their first year and yet they continue to populate.

There is no difference in the genes of a 1-1/2 yo buck and that same buck at 5-1/2. It is much preferred at a 5-1/2 yo by the hunter but that has nothing to do with science. What we have done is simply allow a larger percentage of existing 1-1/2yo bucks to grow one more year so they will have a larger rack in hopes the hunters will be focused on that rather than the fact the whole deer herd is being reduced.

In actual numbers there are not a lot more older bucks than before AR/HR. It's just the percentage of existing bucks that are older that is greater.
S-10
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/11 12:05:09 (permalink)
Actually, the more I think about it, your going to have to explain how the theory of natural selection has anything to do with what we are discussing. Hunting for antlers negates the principles of natural selection by putting emphasis on a  particular class of bucks where hunting pressure on all deer equally could be considered aiding it in eliminating the slow, weak or dumb.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/11 13:10:51 (permalink)
Stop it. Logic has no place in discussing the deer program.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
S-10
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/11 14:54:22 (permalink)
Sorry, I forgot, won't happen again.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/11 15:13:05 (permalink)
I don't believe that natural selection is applicable in the case of AR because humans are the ones doing the "selection", not mother nature.  However, I do believe that social hierarchy is somewhat important even though biologists are divided on how significant it really is, mainly due to the fact that there is no way to quantify its impact on herd health.  Along those same lines, AR has certainly helped to restore a more natural age class distribution, especially with bucks.  There was nothing natural about killing such a high percentage of bucks before their second birthday.

I personally don't believe that social hierarchy and restoring a natural age class distribution are terribly important, but their are biologists out there who do.  For me, I like AR because the deer population has a higher percentage of bucks in the 2.5+ class than ever in recent history, which IMO leads to more enjoyable hunting.      
post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2014/04/11 16:03:05
wayne c
Pro Angler
Re: The winds have shifted(BOC) 2014/04/11 15:55:29 (permalink)
"could be considered aiding it in eliminating the slow, weak or dumb."

I would have to disagree with that theory.    When such a high percentage of the overall legal buck population has been harvested, the survivors aren't faster stronger and smarter than those that were killed.

They are however a helluva lot luckier.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: