4/2/14 a bad day gone good x pics

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/04/02 17:24:19 (permalink)

4/2/14 a bad day gone good x pics

With the 1200 release  (1650 at pineville)  I called my friend last night with low hopes , but he still wanted to go.  He wanted  to meet me at 0800 so I said fine as I did not want to get up early for 1200cfs.   Fishing started slow at the tail. Tripped and fell in and got my sleeves wet and had to go up to the car as luckily I had another sweatshirt and coat.   The guys up from us left so we moved up a bit with still little luck.   I went up a bit farther and found them.   You had to work but I had quite a few  hook ups and because I had a net man got a few in.   Offered my buddy the spot after the first fish  and he accepted,   but it seems his boots leak at the **** and you had to stand mid belly  where I was.   I was taken to the backing 4 or 5 times today.    There were fish porpoising all around me for most of the day.   One male we caught let loose and a guy I talked to said he caught a fish earlier that was loose.   Many of these fish were beat up bad,  I even got one with a deformed jaw.   I think the water is warming a bit and they are getting a little strength.   My favorite spot only produced 1 fish  him and I felt horrible that he could not comedown with me .   The water still feels ice cold.    Today's fly was almost whatever you threw out and worked.   Eggs, steelhead hammer, sucker spawn,  bunny leach nothing on the small green caddis  probably due to the water being  high and them going after bigger stuff.   My buddy took a bunch of pics on his phone and I will post them up when he sends them to me.
post edited by Clint S - 2014/04/02 20:08:51

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

14 Replies Related Threads

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/02 18:57:54 (permalink)
    Nice.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/02 19:34:22 (permalink)
    Kudos to you & Gerry for giving the April trout a go.. Still waiting for the L-13 finger report and maybe Fichy has something to add as well.
    I'm waiting the early season out in hopes of finally finishing that apartment deal before my trout season begins.. Would love to hit the SR , gonna have to hope at this point.. Hope Jack feels up to it that is..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/02 19:53:26 (permalink)

Firs and last fish are the same
    Look at the Lower Jaw of the fish, quite deformed
    post edited by Clint S - 2014/04/02 19:57:24

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/02 20:00:39 (permalink)

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/02 20:06:26 (permalink)

Another shot of the one with the deformed jaw.  
    The hog of the day flopped out of my hand when I went to get it from the net so no pic.

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/02 20:59:25 (permalink)
    Very nice Clint.From those pictures it looks like you had plenty of room.
    I won't be getting up to the SR this spring but I might be able to wet a line in Ohio around Easter.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/02 21:02:04 (permalink)
    Banner day Clint, good for you. 
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/03 02:58:57 (permalink)
    Nice work clint.

Well I've been waiting on l13 to post up also.
    Was hoping to not have to admit my lack of ability myself.
    I fished til noonish in the land where the fish laugh at you (me) before you even wet a line.

Pretty place to spend some time.

My new favorite building.
    Fishing in the land of the grape,

But there is little chance of me working for Bud's Baits in my future since I  could only muster 1 bite all day and managed to duff that one and there were no mulligans that day.

It was the biggest fish I have hooked there in many years.
    Somewhere in the 8-9 pound range while 5-6 have been big for me in the last 10-15 years.

13 had had a couple bites but nothing to show for them when I left.
    Was hoping he found my player  ( still has my globug in its mouth) to see how it measured up in the derby).

All in all a very delight of a day to spend outdoors with a friend.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/04 16:55:03 (permalink)
    It was a good day, a little cold right off, and a great example of why it is called fishing and not catching.  A small one early that came off after 2 or 3 headshakes, a couple of bumps that could have been body swipes in the junction pool, and then back up Grimes.  When 2B Left, Tommy Capon danced all over my back, as others had also shook hands with 2B's big one, the word had passed downstream, and he figured it must be out in front of me, the first of a steady stream of probers over the next hour or so. I can't understand how someone who can rave about the great flyfishing for fall steel in Douglaston can still be bouncing 3 #2's feeling for a fin or a side at Naples!  Alas, my hope for a derby trophy was either gone upstream or down under the grapevines, as no one did anything else in that stretch, and it got pretty pounded for the next hour and a half.  With the boot leak, I could not cross, and a couple of other guys headed into the pockets below from the other side as I got down to the bridge, so I left for a while. I went and ate, and then returned to the falls, but when I lost the whole rig up there I decided if I retied and kept fishing, there was a good chance I would not get home, and even if I did, I would have to fight the rush hour traffic, so I bagged itand headed out around 3:30.  Might have to go back in the AM, the run is really just getting going in the FL, and LO tribs locally will be all blown out, and I've got spots that will fish well if Naples is high.

L13
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/04 17:20:28 (permalink)
    what are these #2 things ? I just got some #2 oz weights to keep the live herring bait just under the surface for stripers and some #4 ozers to keep them close to the bottom.. Maybe those guys shoulda use 4 ozers..
    Great read L-13 , seems you gave the fish a chance to win.. This time :) hope 2B's is still around waiting for ya..

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/04 18:01:12 (permalink)
    Ya when the Soprano, I don't mean the honorable mafia hit man kind but the squeaky voiced capon kind, I knew for sure it was time to get on home and prep for my court appearance.

Pretty muddy today but was clearing until the new rain.
    But even then I just left and missed 2 fish in less than an hour.
    Pretty good day over all.
    Santa had a half dozen hookups.
    The professor had a couple
    A nice guy that really needed the handicapped platform even got 1 with a little coaching from Steve and me.
    I shook hands with 5 and landed 1.
    Plenty of eggs for next 4/1 at this time.
    Not the kind of picture I usually like but a guy came running from his truck with a net I didn't need but couldn't refuse.
    Then wanted me to take his picture with it so I didn't get my classic shotty pic of it in the water and so just snapped a quicky before I conked it and bled it.

Maybe again after work tomorrow since a real nice load of bright hens came in today.
    Be sticking with the 15# test I was using today (told you I didn't need the net)
    post edited by twobob - 2014/04/04 18:03:40
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/04 19:07:07 (permalink)
    I'm so jealous of all you fishing guys. Stuck at home sucking chalk dust and sawdust. Wife wants results not hands that smell like tuna..
    Hoping for a yak ride to Gilligans island out back on the might Hudson Sunday . Heard some ocean runs are around.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/04 22:42:38 (permalink)
    Somebody spent most of the winter in a tent hauling up lakers from the depths, and now they're paying' the dues.....!

You won't be dry docked for long, you'll be back out before the tulips start to open up.

L13
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: 4/2/14 a bad day gone good 2014/04/05 16:30:58 (permalink)
    Here's my fishing report on the local stocked stream about ten minutes from the house.Decided to try my luck for the first time on Thursday.Started flinging about 2:30 and quit about 5:30,brought to hand about 15 rainbows and creeled three.The longest of the trio that I killed was 13" and the other two were a little smaller.Those that were released were in the 9-10 inch range,typical Penna. pelletheads.I REALLY hope I get a shot at it in Ohio over Easter as that will be it for me this spring.O yea the fly of the day was a size 14 Oregon cheese glo bug.
    Jump to: