Opening Day Plans

Author
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
  • Reward points: 0
2014/03/20 17:50:23 (permalink)

Opening Day Plans

Of all people I can't believe I'm asking this, but what are everyone's plans for the opening day of trout season?? Are you gonna fish shoulder to shoulder on a popular stream, fish an off-the-radar un-stocked stream away from the crowds, fish for warmwater species, or just stay home?

I fish for trout every single month of the year, stockies and wild fish, heck I'll probably be fishing for trout tomorrow, but I still have an opening day tradition. Ever since I was really little I always spent opening day eve at my grandparents house. We'd scout out the stream, eat dinner, get our gear ready, and talk fishing late into the night. The next morning we'd get up super early and head out to a small local ATW to secure our spot. Some years we'd even bring a little camping stove and cook up some breakfast until the 8am start time, and then it was fish on! After a good morning of fishing we'd head back to the house and cook up our catch, and after dinner we'd head back out to catch(and release) a few more if we didn't already fall asleep from the lack of sleep the night before. Doesn't sound like much, but it was always a big day for us, and still is. Nowadays it's hard for my grandpa to fish with us, but he still looks forward to my brother and I coming over every year for opening day and sharing stories with each other.

Anyone else have any special traditions they'd like to share?

20 Replies Related Threads

ChromeBandit412
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 137
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/03/20 20:38:39 (permalink)
    I had a great opening day last year. Fished Keystone State Park Lake early in the canoe with a trolling motor. The shoreline of the lake was shoulder to shoulder by 630 AM. This year I will take my son and my cousin and his daughter out in our 16 ft sea king and troll for trout. We wont have to show up untill 745, thats the nice thing about having a boat. After Fat limits have been caught by all we will clean fish and drop the kids off with the wives, and go fish one of the local streams.
    I will probly stick to what i know and am comfortable with because i know i will do well. Im not gonna lie im daydreaming of an erie trib opening day but i hope i make it there before that. Fish On!
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/03/21 10:21:36 (permalink)
    Delaware river striper fishing. 2 30 plus lb fish in last 3 years. 50-60 fish days on boat not uncommon. Netted a friends 51 lb fish in 2011. All my trout fishing is done by opening day, but maybe I should take a limit out there for bait.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/03/26 21:07:54 (permalink)
     Although I generally fish all year for trout and it's generally off the Grid anyhow, I don't see any reason to change now Troutguy. That's not to say that I won't visit some places close to home [and work] as it has a direct correlation to money available. The more money than can be saved is in direct proportion to the number of trips attempted. 
    Pachuckles
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/03/27 17:47:42 (permalink)
    I hope to be fishing on open water at Pymie. 

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
    Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/03/27 19:12:32 (permalink)
    I like so many others trout fish almost year round so catching a fish isn't a big deal, but the first day sure is. Going to the same spot with same buddies I have since I was 8 years old. Caught my first trout there, it's the same guys shoulder to shoulder every year, and everyone reminisces on the fish caught the year before, all great guys. Last year I started taking my younger brother and plan to again this year, he's 10. I plan to take the grill and grill up some dogs and burgers for lunch. Gonna be a great day, CAN'T WAIT!
    Ninja of the Steel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/03/28 08:35:19 (permalink)
    For many years, I'm guessing nearly 20, I headed to a great stocked freestone creek in North Central Pa with my dad, brother and family friends. We rent 2 sites side by side, with our 2 campers set up year round. The campground sits along some of the best trout pools I've ever fished. It's impossible to recant all the stories and memories I've made there. The majority of fish stocked were put in at a metal, open grate highway bridge which had a deep pool directly underneath it. It was always exciting walking the bridge the day before the opener, peering down at the possibilities below. The trout always had a knack of holding in the deepest most inaccessible sections of the pool directly under the bridge. Concrete piers channeled the water underneath the bridge and the water was swift and deep. Boulder size rocks below the water level ran along the piers beneath the bridge and made for a precarious perch. How many times I was under that old bridge in the cold pouring rain with the roar of truck traffic rattling my ear drums as they passed above. I relocated to TN in 2011 for my job, my family still makes the trip. I'll probably be floating in my fishing kayak somewhere looking for brown or green fish on the first day this year.

Tightlines!!

"The images of himself and his line kept disappearing into the rising vapors of the river, which continually circles to the tops of the cliffs where, after becoming a wreath in the wind, they became rays of the sun."
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/03/28 10:04:36 (permalink)
    I'll be with the army for drill weekend for the 10th trout opener in a row. I swear it's like they are against trout fishing cause they keep scheduling drill on that weekend. Good luck to all going

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/03/28 12:12:11 (permalink)
    Fish the same creek I have since I was a kid, my family owns stream property on a stocked stream, so I have my choice of spots on that side of the creek pretty much to myself.

After that, everyday somewhere else, mostly streams, not much into lake fishing for trout after March, unless it's with my kids.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/03 23:50:25 (permalink)
    Don't go out to much on opening days anymore but we had a blast over the years. We would all gather along Shenango River around 7 am. for many years. There would be anywhere from 5 - 10 of us old friends almost every year. Some years we never seen each other till that morning but usually all showed up like clock work even if it was snowing ! We would all talk about everything under the sun till 8 am. Then it was on ! Of course we always wagered 5 bucks each on who would catch the biggest and most Trout. Usually by 11 am. we were ready to call it a day and head to the local Sharpsville Tavern for a few beers and some sandwiches. Funny thing is nobody ever paid the winner ! I know cause I won almost every year ! Those were old good days..............

Couple of fat stockies for the smoker !

Enjoy opening day !

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2014/04/08 12:52:57
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/04 09:46:00 (permalink)
    I'm getting the hell out of Pennsylvania & floating the White River in Arkansas for 3 days.
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/04 10:08:56 (permalink)
    Dnymph which stretch of the white?  I drove over it last summer near De Vallis Bluff.  Its a big muddy river down that way. 
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/04 11:39:27 (permalink)
    Bull Shoals/Rim Shoals, we'll call it when we see the flows once we're there.  It's big where we'll be too, but so are the browns & there won't be mud, for at least 7 miles below Bull Shoals dam.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2134
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/08 07:53:35 (permalink)
    Taking a green horn out this year. I'm still not sure where, I was thinking Muddy Creek, Oil, or Woodcock. We definitely want to take him to a creek and not a pond. I think I'm gonna set him up with bait, because that's how I learned how to trout fish. 5 days we'll be eating smoked stockers......YUM!

BH
    ChromeBandit412
    Avid Angler
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/08 08:05:22 (permalink)
    Good old smoked stockers. Amen to that. Fill them stringers up! Tight lines...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/08 09:56:53 (permalink)
     BH you might want to watch the Oil Creek gauge ( http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?site_no=03020500 ).
    It's 2000 and rising with more rain coming Thursday.

If the creeks get blown you can always try Two Mile Run (Justus Lake)......

Can't stand the opening day circus. Brings out all the azzhats in force.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/08 22:30:18 (permalink)
    Arthur on Sunday.  Whatever we can get to bite, though an early channel cat would be nice with some panfish.  Got some gills in the barrel today despite them stocking my bait pond of choice full of those stupid trout.  If I want retarded farm trout I'll go to Wholley's.  
    ChromeBandit412
    Avid Angler
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/09 08:05:23 (permalink)
    Looking forward to fishing some mountain country streams this year. Linn run, jones mills, laurel hill, loyalhanna. If my schedule allows it i will be at the in season stockings. Opening day of trout in 3 days, who else is exctied!!! Fish ON!
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/10 10:43:50 (permalink)
    I'll be trolling on Erie, looking for that 13# walleye
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/10 12:27:32 (permalink)
    I haven't gone the past few years due to my work schedule. I don't miss it. I do most of my fishing on weekdays anyway. I like to go after the first couple weeks when the guys come trudging down the stream bank complaining that there's "no fish left".
    gymi03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re: Opening Day Plans 2014/04/11 05:51:52 (permalink)
    I havent went out opening day for 10 years. It was always just me and Dad till he passed. Wonderful memories. Just not the same. Plus its a side show. I moved here to Erie Co. 7 years ago and got hit by the Chrome bug anyway...lol. Its another side show but its a funny side show to me.  Stockies just dont cut it for me now. If I ever do after small trout it will be on Venango Co.'s wild Brookie streams. Have fun folks!!! 
    Jump to: