Looking for Mud Lake info

Author
Pachuckles
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
  • Reward points: 0
2014/02/26 13:26:15 (permalink)

Looking for Mud Lake info

What can anyone tell me about Mud Lake (also is known as Crystal Lake) located near Hartstown, Pa. ?
Just general info...no GPS points.  Size, depth, what fish, access/parking ect.  
Need 4 x 4 to get to it?  Any weed beds or shallows on one end or the other?
Thanks for your input..
Later   Chuckles 

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

5 Replies Related Threads

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Looking for Mud Lake info 2014/03/07 12:52:29 (permalink)
    It's actually part of Hartstown Swamp. It's the open water area just North of Crystal Lake Inn (same side). I use to fish it 25 Years ago in a flat bottom boat. Big Bluegills with a mix of Largemouth Bass mostly. Use to drive down close on a dead end road get out and drag a boat to the shore. Loaded with weeds and lily pads just like the swamp just more open water. Should be some good size Bass around but we never landed any bigger than 18". Just watch out for "Jason" from Crystal Lake !
    post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2014/03/07 12:54:14
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re: Looking for Mud Lake info 2014/03/07 17:19:02 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    It's actually part of Hartstown Swamp. It's the open water area just North of Crystal Lake Inn (same side). I use to fish it 25 Years ago in a flat bottom boat. Big Bluegills with a mix of Largemouth Bass mostly. Use to drive down close on a dead end road get out and drag a boat to the shore. Loaded with weeds and lily pads just like the swamp just more open water. Should be some good size Bass around but we never landed any bigger than 18". Just watch out for "Jason" from Crystal Lake !

To be specific, it's the 3rd lake from Crystal Lake Inn. Immediately next to the Inn is Dollar Lake, so named because of being the size of a silver dollar, an under- exaggeration, but it's quite small. Dollar Lake is surrounded by a quaking bog, extremely dangerous so be CAREFUL! I don't remember the name of the 2nd lake. All 3 interconnect. I've gotten to Crystal by taking the road that goes towards Atlantic, PA. It's the intersection down from the Inn that's not in the direction of Conneaut. After that the best that I can remember is taking the road past the post office on your left, going across the first set of RR tracks and then taking the first dirt road on your left. It ended up at the far end of Crystal and there is a parking lot there. I apologize for not remembering more specific details as it's been 5 years since being there. 
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Looking for Mud Lake info 2014/03/07 23:07:52 (permalink)
    Pine Road or Pine Top Road I believe. Side road off of it will get you close. Hartstown Swamp the only place I have ever caught a native Golden Shiner on bait. Brassy gold as could be about 6" long. Never ever seen or caught another one anywhere.
    Pachuckles
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    Re: Looking for Mud Lake info 2014/03/09 21:16:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info on Mud/Crystal Lake. I fished it 3 times this past week. Caught quite a few Bluegill (45/50 keepers) and 10 Bass. Two of them were legal.  It maybe a good place to fish early spring before the weeds take over. Launching a boat could be a problem unless the launch is maintained by the PBFC.  Not too sure that is going to happen.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re: Looking for Mud Lake info 2014/03/26 21:20:00 (permalink)
      I have a book with data on all 3 lakes, the first two being little more than ponds. The hard part is remembering where it's at, possibly at home or at Pyme. I won't get to Pyme [hopefully] until the 2nd- 3rd week of April though as the school is closed for Easter vacation for one week. If I have it at home, I'll post Sunday about it. Caught some decent Pike out of Crystal Lake proper, the lake in the string of 3 which is the furthest one from Crystal Lake Inn and and also the biggest, The Pike were especially caught down in the very corner near that relatively large concrete platform with the large screw and a wheeled handle on top of it. Most likely it was used to control the flow of water into the stream below.
    Jump to: