Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/01/16 19:32:57 (permalink)

Will be on the DL soon

I had a MRI last Monday and got a call from the MD yesterday saying I need surgery on my neck.   She said that my disc bulge has progressed to a point where I may start to loose strength and motor function if it gets much worse.   The was evidenced by the numbness I was having last month.  I am always in some sort of pain with it and several  times  this season I have had a tough time fighting fish due to  it fatiguing so much I would start to loose strength.    Thought I was doing well when the numbness left, but alas it is not.  Getting an appointment with a Neurosurgeon later next week to go over my options and the final call.   I am hoping to put it off until  mid March due to snow removal and of course ice fishing, but will follow Neuro's advice if he says I need it sooner.   I will be getting what is called an ACDF,  anterior cervical decompression and fusion.  Basically they go in through the front of your neck, pull out your disc, install a cage with cement and donar bone (either mine or cadaver) to take the place of the disc and then install a plate between the 2 vertebra to keep them from moving  until the bones fuse together.   With any luck all I will lose is a little range of motion in my neck and about 8 weeks of sick time (I am very lucky as I have about 16 weeks saved up).   I think my biggest issue is going to be what  I am going to do for the first 4 to 6 weeks with a 5 lb lifting restriction and possibly needing to be in a cervical collar.  You can only watch so much TV................

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

45 Replies Related Threads

r2g2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/16 19:59:51 (permalink)
    Good luck Clint- do what the DR says- don't risk bad stuff for a fish or two.
    post edited by r2g2 - 2014/01/17 09:54:41
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/16 20:04:13 (permalink)
    As you already know the medical profession can do amazing things these days.  Good luck with the procedure.  Prayers for a successful and speedy recovery.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/16 20:24:32 (permalink)
    Kind of nervous with someone cutting into my throat and all.        This MD states out patient procedure with no hospital time and in most cases no collar, which is the way this surgery has been trending the last few years .   I am in a unique situation where my patients usually come to see me after these things go wrong and I see the "worse case" scenario all the time so I tend to worry alot.   It will be nice to get rid of the pain and be able to fight a fish without my arm feeling like it is going to fall off.   
    I will follow protocol though,  as I do not need any issues from this and know the worse case results from not.   I will probably have alot time to tie up a bunch of flies though,  less than 5lbs

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/16 21:09:36 (permalink)
    Clint , that sucks for sure but I bet in the long run will be all for the better. Can't blame you for being nervous . I never , ever go to the doctors and when I had that plate done in my collar bone I was scared to no end. It was all for not ..
    Get it taken care of ASAP and heal up quickly .
    I'll be sending good vibes ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/16 23:44:05 (permalink)
    Clint,you took the words from my mouth.....tie flies and more flies,this will be all for the better.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/17 01:16:14 (permalink)
    I had it done a couple years ago.
    Overnight stay just for observation.
    Then the collor for a couple weeks then just at night for a while.
    I had some kind od electric co;;ar that was supposed to aid in the bone grafting.
    Carefull there.
    Not covered by insurance and it was while I was have that on a couple times a day that I face planted in my mac n cheese.
    Fought and they took the couple (that is right) couple grand off my tab.

First two weeks suck bad with the lack of mobility.
    PA its tough to tie when you can't really look down at the vise.

Gets better pretty quick after that (in your mind) and after 6 weeks I was fishing for kings (not landing many since I weight restriction kept my drag loose and if I couldn't fool them into doing what I wanted they won)

You know the drill.
    Follow doctors orders (within reason) and do your physical therapy and all willl be well.
    I have to twist a bit sideways to look over my shoulder but that is it.
    Scar is very minor and being on the throat almost unnoticeable. 

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/17 07:26:09 (permalink)
    Best of outcomes, Clint.  Good to hear there are still folks who understand that sick time is an insurance policy meant to be saved for just this sort of thing, not an extra couple of days off every now and then.  Watch MASH reruns, see 'em enough times, you and TwoBob can recite the shows back and forth across the river!

L13
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/17 17:22:59 (permalink)
    Clint hope the best for ya man... rest and heal well
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/17 19:47:14 (permalink)
    A prayer sent, Clint, oh yeah and a order for flies. Tie me up a couple a dozen while your at it.  Put the vice up at eye level..... No excuses when them crazy steel get off  after this.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/17 22:01:16 (permalink)
    I will go see the Neurosurgeon next week hopefully and get a time frame.   Thanks for the well wishes guys.

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/18 11:19:57 (permalink)
    Good advice charlie... maybe put the vise on a few stacked hardback books...
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/01/18 16:39:45 (permalink)
    I have a few ideas.........
    When I talked to the doc a few years ago he said probably only a collar a night, just no lifting and extreme rotation

Neuro Surg appt on 2/16 to consult and set up date for surgery. 
    post edited by Clint S - 2014/01/18 19:08:48

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/04/04 20:43:05 (permalink)
    Well an update on my status.   My appt with Neuro surg is on 5/15.  They jerked my around with the appt saying that since I was an existing patient I had to wait and the 2/16 appt was for a new patient only.  Called the neuro surg today to get an idea of the wait after the 5/15 for surgery and they said 2 months minimum so that puts me into July or August for Surgery.   I should be healed up just in time for fall Steel next year if that is the case
    2 weeks ago I got a spinal injection.  I has worked fairly well relieving my pain by about 50%.    Crappy thing is my lower back/sciatica has been acting up the last month so I have been having a little numbness in my foot,  not bad, but annoying.   Pain clinic Tuesday and they may try another hot next month because of the wait.   I am also getting a new script for a pain relieving cream that I trials and seemed to work well.    
    I have dealt with it this long what is another few months right.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/04/04 20:56:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update . Sounds like a lot of pain and discomfort even on the communication front. All that stuff folks endure and march forward makes our , my day to day gripes minuscule .
    I have always tried to do the things I enjoy no matter what others think and keep on truckin

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/04/04 21:16:33 (permalink)
    https://www.youtube.com/w...page&v=zvXPi5suWds

I anyone thinks they got it bad watch this video.  These girls kick****  Imagine having to do this EVERY TIME you want you want to go anywhere
    I work with SCI patients every day and teach them how to do things like this
    post edited by Clint S - 2014/04/04 21:19:37

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/04/05 07:22:43 (permalink)
    I don't want to get all into things but my sister of 39 years has down syndrome, severe diabetes and mental retardation.. She requires full time care from my only surviving parent, mom and someday that care will rest on my shoulders. While she endures these struggles every day of her life, she is one of the most happiest person I have ever known..I understand fully about others struggles in life and always consider my time here precious , my other sister was not so lucky at age 9..

Now this morning I got a huge scare, still a little worried..
    While pouring my morning coffee something snapped like a rubber band on the left side of my mid back.. It was excruciating pain.. I couldn't move and breathing was tough.. All I could do was bend over to help ease the pain and it took a good half hr before I was able to stand back up.. The sharp pain is now a dull pain but it seems inflamed.. This is all new to me as I'm always a very active person and not used to things breaking down on me.. I hope 4 ibruprofen do the trick so I can get back to the sawdust and chalk dust in a little while.. The fish wont wait forever but the wife may have too..

sorry for the sappy story

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/04/05 09:40:38 (permalink)
    Ice that back too HT.    Could have slipped a disc, but more likely pulled a muscle.  

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/04/05 10:11:12 (permalink)
    I don't have anywhere near as much knowledge of this stuff as Clint, but based on past instances that were similar, and advise from my doctor, I would not return to the heavy arm work involved in sanding, etc, while taking 4 ibuprofens.  Those NSAIDs are pretty effective at masking the pain and damage, and you could make things worse with the additional work.  It might cost you an additional weekend later to finish after resting things now, and then maybe checking the doctor during the week, but the alternative could be worse.

L13
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/04/05 16:16:13 (permalink)
    Lucky13
    I don't have anywhere near as much knowledge of this stuff as Clint, but based on past instances that were similar, and advise from my doctor, I would not return to the heavy arm work involved in sanding, etc, while taking 4 ibuprofens.  Those NSAIDs are pretty effective at masking the pain and damage, and you could make things worse with the additional work.  It might cost you an additional weekend later to finish after resting things now, and then maybe checking the doctor during the week, but the alternative could be worse.

L13

Rich heed what L13 says,that is all good advise.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/04/06 07:26:37 (permalink)
    well by the time I got to reading (9pm) all the great advice you guys offered it was far too late and my project work day was over.
    Ended up going and buying an interior pre-hung door, cut-sanded and put up the trim work for 3 windows and 2 closet doors, primed all the trim, sanded and refinished a quarter sawn red oak coffee table (which came out awesome), took a part and moved bunk beds from the apartment to the second level of my house and moved a queen sized bed vice-versa, hauled my 80 lb ice shanty down to my basement and moved various types of furniture around.. Yup the fool I am..
    The wife gave me some meds that said "take some of these and you will feel no pain" well yesterday I felt none, today I'm already taking Ibruprofen like they are flintstones vitamins..
    Definitely pulled-strained something , it hurts pretty bad today and I hope it goes away soon.. Much more work to do and hoping , big hope, to get the kayak out on the Mighty Hudson River today..

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/05/15 19:15:50 (permalink)
    Visit with the Neurosurgeon today and it was as expected, about 10 minutes with the medical student  and 5 minutes with him.   I still think I made a good choice.  He answered all my questions with the right answers and made me feel at ease.  Stated the surgery will take 45 minutes to an hour and 1 night in the hospital.  Light duty with no lifting for 4 weeks and 4 weeks of medium duty then back to work.   Will get the Surgery first week of July or last week of July depending on the schedule (he has the 2 middle weeks off).   

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/05/15 20:00:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update Clint . Hope it all works out man.
    My wife just had a scope put in her heart and was scared to death. Everything went well and her fears were for not.
    Heal up and I hope light duty don't mean you can't reel in salmon aboard the Daisy Mae

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/05/15 20:05:20 (permalink)
    Might not be able to reel one if, but I certainly may be able to go along for a ride if the water is not rough.

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/05/15 20:39:58 (permalink)
    I know its a way off but good luck and prayers for a speedy recovery Clint.

I hope Mrs. Tuna is feeling better too.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/05/16 18:49:00 (permalink)
    I had mine done in early July and was fishing salmon in early Sept.
    On a 5 pound lifting restriction so I wasn't doing much landing, but I was fishing.

I would stay away from boats for a bit.
    That bumy ride throws your head around pretty good and that is the worst thing you can do.

Don't let them con you into getting the electronic healing collars.
    5 grand that the insurance won't pay for and I passed out in a bowl of mac and cheese and earned the pleasure of a halter monitor
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/05/16 20:11:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the well wishes everybody.  
    Glad everything worked out for your wife HT.
    TB those bone stimulators usually are reserved for smokers or other folks with whose bone density is not up to snuff.   I have seen a few on some of my patients.  I know the boat and mowing the lawn will be out for a while.   Could be good for the end of September for salmon though as the Doc said the last 2 or 3 weeks you can start working on building your strength again.  Plan is 8 weeks out of work.

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/05/16 21:50:00 (permalink)
    Good luck Clint- do what the Doc advises- don't push it for a fish.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/05/17 08:01:53 (permalink)
    Life long non smoker but I do have the bone density of peanut shells rather than walnut shells.

The U of Roch medical arm  suggests them for every neck disk operation.

My rod reel combo I used  only weighs about 11 ounces so raising it and casting wasn't against my instructions.
    The trouble was talking fresh kings into not adding the other 4 1/2 pounds of pressure on my arm.
    Only fooled 1 into staying in the meadow so I could actually land it.

Trutta and Slayer were kind enough to help land it.
    Like the day after the kumbayarty.
    Whenever that was.

The  others bolted after the second or third time I got them to turn and headed to the lake.
    Aim the rod and broke the 4# test.

post edited by twobob - 2014/05/17 10:00:30
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Will be on the DL soon 2014/05/27 10:49:40 (permalink)
    Well from here to there was a while , but I have a surgery date set.    Tuesday July 8th I will go under the knife.   Should set me up nicely to be up to full speed by the mid to end of September.   What am I going to do  with the summer off and unable to do much.   I am thinking alot of walking picking up lead up to the river and alot of flies to be made.  BIL just had the same surgery done and he could drive after 2 weeks.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: