thoughts

Author
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
  • Reward points: 0
2014/01/15 19:49:58 (permalink)

thoughts

Checked out a site that I never usually look at this evening and read a discussion about high water. In which one was referring to high water as a good thing and promoting good fishing in high water. I know I have done the same in the past... but I question it now... why should useful info be so accessible? Every secret is gone and told to all... crowded water everywhere. Makes one really wonder about internet fishing reports. I know its been beaten and whipped before but im questioning it more than ever right now.

9 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: thoughts 2014/01/15 20:00:11 (permalink)
    Twobob, its the site that you posted pics in for a while

On second thought, maybe this thread should be locked and moved to the 1/0 hooks thread!!!
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: thoughts 2014/01/16 05:51:16 (permalink)
    One of the great catches of all time was made by Dave Winfield in his time asd a Yankee.
    Leaping dive into the stands ,he was 6'6" and all but his ankles were in the stands,  to rob Doug De Cinces (ex Rochester Red Wing) of  a home run.
    You never see a replay of it reportedly because he and Boss Stienbrenner hated each other and George owned the rights to it
    How about I just turn this thread into 1/0 part deux?

I think the damage was done years ago and its too late at this point.
    Pinning making it easy to catch steelhead was the real demise.
    Once it became easy all the people just concerned with numbers started fishing for steel instead of just snagging salmon.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: thoughts 2014/01/16 07:09:49 (permalink)
    It's like the field of dreams.  " If you build it, he will come"     The fishery was built.  Do you think so many folks would come for a 1 to 2 hook up days in the fall or especially winter.   It was not built for the fish, but for the fisherman to make $$$ for the area and the state.     Do I like the crowds nope. Like TB said once it became easy the fisherman was hurt and the weekend sportsman , king of the river with 50 hook up days  was here to stay.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: thoughts 2014/01/16 07:37:26 (permalink)
    i really don't get the all about the numbers thing
    yes i like to catch fish, or even just hook and play them,
    but the numbers thing is just nutz

some of my best days never had a take

wishin i was fishin
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: thoughts 2014/01/16 08:38:48 (permalink)
    Lately, most of my best days never had a take!

I had to say it before 2B did!

L13
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: thoughts 2014/01/16 09:51:01 (permalink)
    You're probably right two Bob... too late from damage done long ago... I do remember when I first came to this board in 2009 and it died after salmon season. I was shocked. Since then it has become a year round active messaging board through steelhead season. It makes one wonder how many folks got turned on to the river through this board? Or maybe some folks getting re-inspired and brushing the dust off the old rods and getting back out. Even in 2009 the pressure was bad but it has gotten noticeably worse every year since then. IM not so anti pinners like some folks, but I do hate the "salmon" tactics carrying out in to late fall for the large numbers of steel that come through.

And yes guys, good days can be had with no fish.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: thoughts 2014/01/16 10:52:11 (permalink)
    I guess you have to expect large numbers of people crowding the streams when you have large numbers of "large" trout like fish running said streams.As you said dime it's the "salmon" tactics that are the real turn off,if the DEC would get serious about enforcing the law and severally penalizing the law breakers it would be a much better experience for all.I wonder if anyone from the DEC reads this site?
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: thoughts 2014/01/16 13:19:31 (permalink)
    It is not just the SR, it is an international phenomenon, evidenced by things like the change in non resident regulations in British Columbia.  20 years ago there was Fly Fisherman, now FF, the Drake, Rod and Reel, American Angler, etc.  As long as it is nearly 9K a week to do Alaska, it will be crowded on comparable waters that are closer.   But after the burn down here last fall of letting an Ohio poster know what conditions were like locally, and then having 39 cars from as afar away as W Va and Alaska, based on the plates my brother in law saw, parking in and along a piece of private but open water, and trashing the place, resulting in the loss of nearly a mile of access, from now on the most folks will get from me is either "there are fish in every trickle from Watertown to Buffalo", or "the fish are in the water', and "what are the bitin' on?" will be "the end of TwoBob's line".  Try the Genny, it starts in Bradford County, PA and ends at Lake Ontario, or the Black somewhere between Forestport and Dexter! 

L13 
    r2g2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: thoughts 2014/01/16 14:59:57 (permalink)
    Best pieces of conversation in a long time IMHO.
     A great day certainly  can be no fish- just  a nice time- its the personal experience that counts.
     Its called the 'enjoyment' of the outdoors NOT the slash and burn of those guys posting 60 hookup days. Heck- that isn't even likely to be fun after a while- too much like work.
    Although it must be recognized that those with only  a day or two a year on the river likely give it a long best effort to get the most outa their allotted time. After all they  are trying to get  the same satisfaction many of us more regular folks have.
       Many of us here  are blessed with the opportunity to fish often  and  see it differently than those who can only live it short annual  bursts. Yea, I  get frustrated with crowds and rudeness  but in the big picture they are all trying to get a bit of what we enjoy.
     Internet- yep -  added to the crowds- but  it was you guys and the net that contributed to changing  my way of fishing, so I kinda think it aint all bad.

post edited by r2g2 - 2014/01/17 12:49:32
    Jump to: