Looking for an English Pointer Brood Matron

Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
2013/12/24 10:21:01 (permalink)

Looking for an English Pointer Brood Matron

As our older Pointer, Darty, turns 12 in March and starts to eye the rug in front of the fireplace as a good retirement home after this guiding season, it is time for us to search for a brood matron to breed with our younger Pointer, Darty’s son, Dyson, who is now a little over six-years-old.

Dyson is the 2010 Pennsylvania State Pheasant Hunting Champion in the Single Division, which was an improvement over his 2nd Place finish in the Puppy Division when he was one-year-old.  His father, Darty, is the 2010 Team Division Champion.  These are shoot-to-retrieve type competitions, not field trials, so no subjective attributes contribute to the title, just bird finding, holding point for the hunter to flush the bird, and retrieving bagged birds to hand in the shortest amount of time.  While these dogs have style, they are unmistakably hunters first and foremost.

The pedigree has all of the necessary field trial champions in the background – Miller’s, Whippoorwill, and Blackfield – to provide the nose, drive, and brains, but that is tempered with enough hunting stock, from Maryland and Texas, on one side of the breeding or the other, to make these dogs huntable in PA type cover at PA type ranges.  They are larger than average, Darty hunts at 80 pounds and Dyson hunts at 65, which leads to cover busting stamina.

The dogs are hunted regularly in PA on public ground for PGC pheasants and grouse.  In addition, they serve as guide dogs at an Orvis Endorsed Shooting Ground, where they hunt pheasants, chukars, quail, and Hungarian Partridge.  A typical year sees between 700 – 1,000 birds shot over the points of these dogs.

While tremendous hunters, these Pointers are also pets.  They spend half their time in the kennel and half in the house and are well at home in either environment.  They go from lying on your feet to Champion Hunter like flipping a switch.

We are looking for a brood matron that is American Field registered, which ours are, with a decent pedigree.  The arrangement we are looking for is, in exchange for the stud service, that we retain the male pick-of-the-litter gratis and have the option to purchase the second-pick at full selling price.  The owner of the brood matron retains the balance of the puppies (Darty threw 10 during the last breeding) and retains whatever selling fees in full that are garnered.  This is an opportunity to diversify your line with proven hunting stock at no cost to you.

Breeding can be accomplished via AI or physically, depending on location.  We are hoping for a late Winter/early Spring breeding in order to have the pups ready for training come early Fall.

For interested parties, photos and a full pedigree are available via email.  Please contact me via PM to obtain my email address.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

5 Replies Related Threads

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    Re: Looking for an English Pointer Brood Matron 2013/12/24 10:44:47 (permalink)
    So basically, your dog needs a girlfriend?
    My dog is the undisputed class aaa champion loud snorer. And she also can clean up a spilled plate from the ground in 10 seconds flat. Shall we arrange a hookup? ;)

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Looking for an English Pointer Brood Matron 2013/12/25 11:43:11 (permalink)
    More like a short term relationship.  If your dog is an American Field registered English Pointer, I would look at the pedigree.  Be warned, my mutts are also champion quality farters.

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Looking for an English Pointer Brood Matron 2013/12/26 05:51:48 (permalink)
    too funny!
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    Re: Looking for an English Pointer Brood Matron 2013/12/26 15:15:29 (permalink)
    Sounds like he's looking for love in all the wrong places. Sorry, I'm saving my "definitely not a hunting dog" for one who is willing to commit. She's been hurt by too many fly by night romeos and is emotionally fragile :)

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Looking for an English Pointer Brood Matron 2013/12/27 05:42:30 (permalink)
    I'm hoping for him not to have to commit (i.e. me buying a female), but it might come down to that.

Jump to: